Red Sails in the Fallout

A wacky, wily game of postapocalyptic peril.
dulsi
Storm Giant

Red Sails in the Fallout

Post by dulsi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:53 pm

I've only read the first chapter so far. Already not liking the book. This seems much more like the new Gamma World. It has a more humorous tone than Sooner Dead. The main characters don't appeal to me. My biggest annoyance is game terms.

For an example outside of Gamma World novels of this sort of problem, the second book of Abolethic Sovereignty explicitly stated that the warlock was a star-pact warlock at one point in that book. It bothered me because it didn't need to be stated. From the description it was clear he was now a star-pact warlock. That was the only time it was mentioned.

Red Sails in the Fallout has mentioned alpha mutations multiple times in the first chapter. Perhaps even worse was the character who had regeneration alpha mutation commented on "the luck of the draw". Those were the worse use of game terms but even the character saying she is hypercognitive feels out of place. Yes I wondered about the origins for the characters in the first book but I never wanted to explicitly tell me. If they want to tell me, it should be in an article in dragon providing stats for the characters.
Last edited by dulsi on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Red Sails in the Fallout

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Abolethic Sovereignty? Star-pact warlocks?

I'm not familiar with the "new" Gamma World, but it sounds more like 4E D&D than GW. Does the game hew more closely to science-fantasy than science-fiction now?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:08 pm

The Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy is a Forgotten Realms series. I use it here as a minor example of game terms in a novel. In that trilogy, that was the only example of that sort of usage. It bothered me but the novel didn't suffer too badly due to it. Whereas Red Sails in the Fallout has had multiple occurrences in the first chapter. It pulls be out of the novel instead of sucking me in.

I've edited the first post to make this clear.
ImageImage

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Ah, gotcha. It was late when I first read this thread, so the lack of comprehension may have been entirely mine.

Yeah, I agree that sort of thing is horribly distracting. The worst case I can recall of it was in Rose Estes' Greyhawk novels. Right in the first chapter of Master Wolf, as I recall, it started out doing that, mentioning something like her main character being 5th level, etc. It was awful. I only finished those books because I'd bought them at a used bookstore and was just being stubborn in trying to get my money's worth (and hoping they'd get better). Some of the other TSR stuff she wrote was fairly good; not sure what happened with that series.

But meta-commentary on that level, terrible way to write a book; really prevents the escapism needed, particularly for fantasy/sci-fi.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:46 am

dulsi wrote:Red Sails in the Fallout has mentioned alpha mutations multiple times in the first chapter. Perhaps even worse was the character who had regeneration alpha mutation commented on "the luck of the draw".
Is that the mechanic, where you draw random cards? I'm not a fan of that (drawing a card once, during character creation might be fun, but I'm not a fan of rolling mutations that come and go).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:Is that the mechanic, where you draw random cards? I'm not a fan of that (drawing a card once, during character creation might be fun, but I'm not a fan of rolling mutations that come and go).
Yes. The drawing of cards can be alright. Each person needs to have a custom deck with only cards that fit his character. You still have the problem with Alpha Flux (rolling 1) which is supposed to be drawn from the DM's deck. You have to come up with a logical reason why you can't use all the powers all the time but you already have those situations in various games so it isn't any different than why can you only cast fire ball once per day.

That being said I disliked the cards because it was unlike any previous edition and seemed like a blatant attempt to extract more money from gamers.
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:42 pm

dulsi wrote:That being said I disliked the cards because it was unlike any previous edition and seemed like a blatant attempt to extract more money from gamers.
That is my main dislike of Magic: the Gathering. The game seems to reward players that spend the most cash, rather than players that learn the rules well. I disliked the 3rd Edition era randomly boxed miniatures just as much. It is a trick that is designed to make punters pay for something they don't want several times, when they try to obtain something they do want.

I'm not sure I want to see that mechanic represented in a novel, any more than I want to see players creating characters represented in a novel.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:18 pm

I finished this book a while ago. By the end it had somewhat grown on me but still wouldn't recommend it. Since this one used mostly creatures in the game, there isn't even much to adapt and bring into games.
ImageImage

Return to “Gamma World”