[Map request] Land of the Cherry Blossom

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

[Map request] Land of the Cherry Blossom

Postby Boneguard » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:09 am

This is the village I've created to go with my Kara-tur campaigns in which I will be intergrating the new races and classes from this project. A map of the Land will come shortly

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The small village is located in the coastal valley of the K'angung River in Kozakura.

To the West you have low-lying hills from which the river comes out and slowly flows east.

To the East you have the open sea. As the river arrives at the sea it widens up and a small island is found at the mouth of the river. On it there's a small temple that houses the Village Temple as well has small cabins for the 40 or so inhabitants of the temple.

A bit further up into the sea, a small chain of Island can be seen. On the biggest Island sits an old abandon Fort that was used to protect the village from Wako and invaders. Although officially named Sentry Isles, they are now knows as the Haunted Isles for the fort is rumour to be huanted after the massacre of it's inhabitant by raiders over a century ago.

To the South, the land rises slightly and it gives to a forested area.

To the North, the land also rise but a bit more sharply. upon that rise sits the Ichii Estate. A road leads away into the heartland in the NorthWest (Between that hills and that 'rise'.

The Northern and Southern coast quickly turn into a sharp cliff on top of which a guard tower has been built with a alarm bell. This is meant to replace the Fallen fort of Sentry Isles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As stated the village itself rest in the broad valley of the river. It sits on both sides of the river and it is linked by 2 bridges, wide enough to allow an ox cart to cross. Rice paddies can be fought to the west of the village along both side of the river.

The richer familly tend to live on the higher ground of the South 'rise' -before it turns into the woods- whereas the commoners tend ot live in the bottom of the valley proper. No one lives on the North 'rise' other then the lord.

A small Tavern/inn is located on the Northern side of the village, small fisherman docks on the northern and southern sside of the river mouth (where it's flatter, before it turns into cliff)

A small barrack is located on the northern and Southern side of the village near the westernmost bridge.
Last edited by Boneguard on Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Re: Land of the Cherry Blossom

Postby Boneguard » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:21 am

The lords of the land.

T’iang Gow Se
T’iang Gow Se is a Chiang Lung (River Dragon). he is the Lord of the K'angung river that divide the village in two as well as being the 'Grand-Sire' of several of the River Spirit Folk in town. Since the local Temple pays hommage to him, T'iang Gow se looks kindly upon the little village and will often aid them in time of drought. He is quite friendly with the villager and will either see them in his court if petitionned or send an emmisary to answer in his name. When angered he is a force to be reckoned with and it usually man trouble for the villagers.

He is currently attended by 3 of his children and 1 Shen Lung bodyguard.

Takashi of the Ichii clan
Takashi is the current jito of these land. Keeping them for his Daimyo Kanzutaka of the Clan Yamamoto. He is a fair Lord form a old noble family with distant ties to the Emperor (10th Rank), who deals fairly but harshly with crimes. He doesn't get involve is the Imperial policies being in charge of a distant and fairly small area. He also tend to let the local elderman deal with the village problems as long as the taxes are payd in time. In order to forster good terms with the other nobles he does partake in Fostering from time to time taking into his home the scions of other nobles or even a promising young man.

Kawaguchi Masasu
Masasu is the village oldest living member and the de Facto 'mayor'. This elderly River Spirit Folk rules in a fair fashion the various issues in the village. The villagers respect him for his age brings in the wisdom and knowledge of years passed. He lives in a small house with his older grandson, a promissing young man.

Asato
Asato is an old monk near the end of his life who is the current head of the local temple, despite the fact that his body doesn't follow as well his mind is very sharp and alert

Fumitake
Fumitake is the current highest ranking Sohei in charge of the Temple guards (20 sohei). While direct he is quite friendly and have a friendly rivalry with Natsuki, the captain of the local militia.

Nagata Natsuki
Natsuki is a no nonesense bushi who has been names captain of the guard and captain of the militia. He has a small unit (25) of relatively well train bushi under him and can call upon about 60 militiamen in case of trouble.

Ichiro of the Ichii Clan
The Second son of Takashi from his second wife. He is in charge of the small unit of household guard (15 bushi, 5 samurai), in charge of the safety of his Family and his father. He has good working relation with Natsuki -despite being a commoner-, but is having some trouble with Fumitake and his unruly -to his eyes- sohei.

Hisao
This older man is the senior shukenja at the temple. A kind gentle man, he is attended by two other shukenja with whom he teachers the odd pupil that comes to the temple who seeks a path differnet than the one taught by Asato or Fumitake.
Last edited by Boneguard on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Boneguard » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:23 am

Dragon’s Tail Lash
(Hard)
(hand/foot)
Number of attack : 2
Damage: 1d4
Ac: 8
Primary attack: Kau sin ke
Special manoeuver:

Mental/physical: 1, 2, 4, 5
Mental/Physical II: 4*
Movement: 3
Strike: 3
Weapon: 1, 2, 4*
Additional weapon taught: Three-piece rod; nunchaku.

This martial art is taught in a small monastery that rest on a small island in the estuary of a river. There, they pay homage to the various spirit of Celestial Bureaucracy, but especially to T’iang Gow Se the Chiang Lung (River Dragon) Lord of the river in which the Island is located.

The style is based mainly on the Chiang Lung tail-lashing which is emulated using the Kau sin ke to strike at their opponent from afar and to block their attacks. Intensive body and mental techniques are also taught as well as a powerful Dragon Claw attack.

M/P II: 4 Quick Strike (H/S)
This manoeuver bestow a +1 to all initiative roll made by the martial artist. Since Kensai already have an inititiative bonus they can not take it again.

Wpn: 4 Arrow cutting(S)
This manoeuver is similar to the Arrow deflection manoeuver, but the Art of arrow Cutting required a martial-art weapon to block or deflect missile attack. If the Martial artist attempt to block without the use of a martial-art weapon he studied the attempt is made at a -4 penalty to the saving throw. Monk automatically has this manoeuver with Arrow Deflection.

Weapon blocked or deflect may often be used by the martial artist and may be saved for future use. It taked one round to pry free any missile weapon caught.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Boneguard » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:21 pm

I've been working a bit on this Valley and I have detailed the Ichii clan, the Jito Takashi, his son Ichiro and the Household Guards as well at the River court and the Dragon, T’iang Gow Se.

Next stop, the village and the key people, followed by the Temple

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Havard » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Love what you are doing here Boneguard!

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Boneguard » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:27 pm

I've started working on the Village Authorities. Masasu and Natsuki are detailed, The Guards and militia are in progress. It's a lot of work, but it makes them more memorable and more unique them simply using the same stats over and over again.

For the guards and militia some will be Spirit Folks fighting for their home, unlike the Jito's house guards who are all human.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Boneguard » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:29 pm

Havard wrote:Love what you are doing here Boneguard!

-Havard

Thank you.

It's both a personal labour love for my little Estate, but I'm also secretly hoping people will also be using it for their own OA campaign (obviously it's 1st ed so 3rd ed player would have to convert a lot of stuff, but at least they would not be starting from scratch).
Last edited by Boneguard on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:18 pm

Boneguard wrote:It,s both a personal labour love for my little Estate, but I'm also secretly hoping people will also be using it for their own OA campaign (obviously it's 1st ed so 3rd ed player would have to convert a lot of stuff, but at least they would not be starting from scratch).

You said in your Need Help in Retro-harvesting 3rd Ed OA/Rokugan that you were raiding stuff from the 3e Oriental Adventures books.

I'm guessing that would allow a 3e fan to use your Kara-Tur information alongside the original 3e source for any specific thing you have raided. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boneguard » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Boneguard wrote:It,s both a personal labour love for my little Estate, but I'm also secretly hoping people will also be using it for their own OA campaign (obviously it's 1st ed so 3rd ed player would have to convert a lot of stuff, but at least they would not be starting from scratch).

You said in your Need Help in Retro-harvesting 3rd Ed OA/Rokugan that you were raiding stuff from the 3e Oriental Adventures books.

I'm guessing that would allow a 3e fan to use your Kara-Tur information alongside the original 3e source for any specific thing you have raided. :)

Yes, it should help them a lot, I believe, with that aspect, once I'm done with the write up I'll be sharing that word document too. Although II might need to do a bit of reworking once playtested, or after other membres had time to look and offered CC.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Baron » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi Boneguard, this looks like a very interesting project. I was pondering whether to try a little bit of OA with my home group. The hesitation, honestly, is because the players are all Asians of various descent, so I'm a bit intimidated! IAC, whenever you finish this project and get it onto a doc file, I'd love to pull it down and see what I can do with it. 1st ed AD&D is my game, so this would work nicely. Thanks for all your efforts!
Baron
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:20 pm

Baron wrote: I was pondering whether to try a little bit of OA with my home group. The hesitation, honestly, is because the players are all Asians of various descent, so I'm a bit intimidated!

I dont want to hijack Boneguard's thread, but perhaps you could turn this into an advantage? If some of them are well versed in asian history/mythology and language, perhaps you could challenge them into tossing you ideas for character names, background etc, while you concentrate on the main storyline/adventure stuff? Turning the players into a kind of co-authors could help them get more involved with the game as well. :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Baron » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Well, Boneguard's setting is Japanese, while my players (many of whom are young) are Vietnamese, Filipino and Singaporean. But much of roleplaying involving real-world cultures can cross the line into stereotyping, and even racism. That's more what I'm worried about, although it's probable that my players know more about real-world China and Japan (common rpg Asian settings) than I do. So I'm looking forward to reading Boneguard's final version. What I end up doing with it will probably involve "fantasizing" it, and making it somewhat gonzo, while trying to avoid offending anyone.
Baron
Bugbear

Postby Boneguard » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:31 pm

I'm glad you like it, I'll finish up doing the starts (and figuring the Honor of the Key NPC) afterwhich I,ll combine everything and offer a "Clean" word document - maybe in US Legal format to have mose writting space.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Boneguard » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:31 pm

I'll be working a bit on it today, adjusting the formatting and adding all of the onfo found here in it's proper section. I'm also saeriously considering putting it on US legal format (11 inch by 14 inch (27,94 cm by 35.56 cm)) to make it easier to see/read.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Boneguard » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:29 pm

Here is the updated and renamed word document. I've added the blurb about the land and rthe village, all of the info I had written, reworked a few things (hopefully making it clearer) added the honor rating of everyone and the various named family, completed the City guards and militia; and started the temple.

I've also added the Yearly/monthly events and soe various bits about which race/class are common and which one are not. Once I've completed my retroconversion and creating new class, I'll add that information to this document.

I need to scan the map and add it and i need to draw the Ichii Mon, scan it and add it.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Baron » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 pm

That's a lot of good work!
Baron
Bugbear

Postby Boneguard » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:09 pm

You're welcome. Still some work to do, but I like how it's shaping up.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Boneguard » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:51 am

Mini update, the monks and the shukenja has been added.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Boneguard » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:14 pm

The Map of the land and the Mon has been added. A Family Martial Art, a bit of formating for clarity, the Sohei and extra bits for the GM added at the end. I'll be expending it with some adventure hooks later and work of my Retroconversion to add extra class and Race.

CC is always welcomed.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Boneguard » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:00 pm

6 adventure seeds were added. As well as a new NPC to play with.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Re: [Map request] Land of the Cherry Blossom

Postby Boneguard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Rather then starting a new thread, would anyone be able to help me by taking my hand drawn Map and making it look more professional/realistic?

And maybe and Hex-map, but I'm looking more in the line of a "google satellite map" feel.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Tonnichiwa » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:05 pm

Are you still developing this or have you stopped?
Tonnichiwa
Goblin

Postby Tonnichiwa » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:40 am

Well, Here is a map for you.

The scale is five miles to the hex. I hope that is enough.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iix1v5toa5xc6f6/Little%20Cherry%20Blossom.JPG?dl=0
Tonnichiwa
Goblin

Postby Boneguard » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:02 am

Yes I'm still working at it. Taking a bit of iatus to work out a few things though.

The map is awesome thank you very much.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Tonnichiwa » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:34 am

This should be better for you

This one should be about 8 miles per hex and I've added the name Sakura Estate to the map. Enjoy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgikblmobm6d7pu/Sakura%20Estate.JPG?dl=0
Tonnichiwa
Goblin

Next

Return to Kara-Tur