Can DMs Guild bring Malatra: Living Jungle back?

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Can DMs Guild bring Malatra: Living Jungle back?

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:05 pm

Wizards of the Coast recently opened up Dungeons & Dragons...and Forgotten Realms! You can now publish your own Forgotten Realms content on Dungeon Masters Guild and get paid for it.

This reply got posted in the topic there by AuldDragon:
AuldDragon wrote:For those wondering, they've verified on their Reddit AMA that Kara-Tur, Maztica, and Al-Qadim can all be used under the "Forgotten Realms" umbrella.

We got a subtopic going called: DM's Guild also opens Kara-Tur to fan content!. (There is also a discussion about the new SRD and DMs Guild in the D&D 5th Edition forum.)

But what I'm wondering now is: Can this blanket permission to publish anything on the Forgotten Realms world be used to help bring back Malatra: The Living Jungle?

If authors could put updated versions of their adventures up (on a "Pay What You Want" or "Free" basis) that would give Living Jungle a lot more exposure than it has had for years. And if "Pay What You Want" was used to busk for money for adventures, it might be enough to allow an author to fund things like buying artwork for Malatra.

Imagine if Malatra was still free, but fans could use the Dungeon Masters Guild system as a way to fund (either via "Pay What You Want" or Kickstarter) a new map by someone like Anna Meyer. That could be awesome.

Would anyone here support a Malatra: Living Jungle revival via DMs Guild?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Can DMs Guild bring Malatra: Living Jungle back?

Postby Tim Baker » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:58 pm

I'd never even heard of Malatra until it was mentioned a week or two ago in context of the DMs Guild.

What products featured Malatra?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Havard » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:26 pm

From what I understand Malatra: The Living Jungle was one of the Living Campaigns organized by Wizards of the Coast. Some more information can be found here.

Here's a List of the Living Jungle Adventures.

-Haavrd

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:49 pm

Tim Baker wrote:I'd never even heard of Malatra until it was mentioned a week or two ago in context of the DMs Guild.

It is one of the more obscure Dungeons & Dragons campaign settings. I didn't know about it until well after I joined The Piazza.

It is hidden inside the Malatra jungle in Kara-Tur on a peninsula surrounded by ancient invisibility devices that were set up by alien spacefarers* who were hoping to hide out on Toril. But those ancient aliens are gone. Inside that area is a "Lost World" jungle where people have to avoid being eaten by predators.

EDIT: * = I seem to have caused a bit of confusion by forgetting to mention that the name of the ancient spacefarers was the Nubari.

I was actually attracted to Malatra by some more modern aliens: the oscray. (They are refugees from the Second Unhuman War who were trying to hide from the Elven Navy and who accidentally crashed into Malatra and got marooned. The oscray are similar to the scro, from Spelljammer.) But Malatra is interesting in it's own right. And if you like Nyambe, you can raid one of the two settings to give you some ideas to use in the other setting.

Tim Baker wrote:What products featured Malatra?

Check out the [Malatra] Other Malatra Websites (& Free Downloads) topics for some websites and (legal) downloads, where you can learn a bit more. :)

Another less-well known sub-setting of Forgotten Realms is Raven's Bluff: The Living City. I was looking into that a while ago, but then got busy and have not done any research recently.
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Boneguard » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:32 pm

Havard wrote:From what I understand Malatra: The Living Jungle was one of the Living Campaigns organized by Wizards of the Coast. Some more information can be found here.

-Haavrd

Actually TSR.

But Yes, Malatra: The Living Jungle was the 2nd RPGA (Role playing game association) setting in AD&D 2nd edition, the first and best know was Raven's Bluff: The Living City.

Although part of Kara-Tur (Deep southern jungle), it,s a mix of both setting with Western Classes (Fighter, Mage, thief, cleric, druid etc.) and primarely oriental races (Hengeyokai, spirit folk, mold man, oscray, etc.)
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Tim Baker » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:55 am

Havard wrote:From what I understand Malatra: The Living Jungle was one of the Living Campaigns organized by Wizards of the Coast. Some more information can be found here.

Big Mac wrote:Check out the [Malatra] Other Malatra Websites (& Free Downloads) topics for some websites and (legal) downloads, where you can learn a bit more. :)

Very interesting. Thanks for the helpful links. I'll check them out.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Morfie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:31 am

In addition, will ALL aspects of the Realms (Maztica, Kara-Tur, Zhakara, and Malatra [Living Jungle]) be opened up to use eventually?

[–]mikemearls Senior Manager of D&D R&D 10 points 16 days ago

A few answers:

Yes, you can convert older material.
Within the Guild, you can use any Forgotten Realms RPG product and non-setting specific RPG material.
As long as it was content published and owned by WotC, you should be good.
Areas like Maztica and others are part of the Realms, so those are good to go. An official update might be in the cards, but part of the process of deciding on that would be seeing if there's interest in them within the Guild.

It's in.
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Big Mac » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:20 pm

Boneguard wrote:Although part of Kara-Tur (Deep southern jungle), it,s a mix of both setting with Western Classes (Fighter, Mage, thief, cleric, druid etc.) and primarely oriental races (Hengeyokai, spirit folk, mold man, oscray, etc.)

The oscray are actually spacefarers, although they may have an Asian-style culture. (They share the same artwork as the scro, from Spelljammer, and their name is also derived from the word "orc". I've been thinking of them as a Realmspace orc-subrace that evolved on similar lines to the scro, following the First Unhuman War.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby apotheot » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:29 pm

With all this in mind, would anyone be interested in collaborating on any products for Malatra on the DM's Guild?
apotheot
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:25 pm

apotheot wrote:With all this in mind, would anyone be interested in collaborating on any products for Malatra on the DM's Guild?

I am still learning about Malatra: LIving Jungle and I am very time poor, but I would very much like to see this happen. I'm sure I saw someone on Facebook saying that they were hoping to make new Malatra content. (I'm not sure if that was you or someone else.)

It's a shame we don't have a Malatra: Living Jungle forum at The Piazza, so that this could be turned into a sticky. (A bespoke forum might also help other fans find this place on a Google search.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby apotheot » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:37 am

I am willing to bet that was me, as I haven't seen anyone else show interest. I have written a 5e adventure along with setting update complete with updating the timeline. I playtested it at gencon last year and got some good feedback, and will be trying it with my home group this week.
-Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre

Return to Kara-Tur