[Malatra] Monsters

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

[Malatra] Monsters

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:09 pm

What monsters are most prominent in Malatra? I am trying to get a better understanding of what an Oriental Jungle Setting might be like...

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Malatra] Monsters

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:43 pm

To be honest, it's all pretty random; there was some effort to include races from Oriental Adventures, sometimes renamed, but they didn't restrict themselves to "oriental" creatures. It's more of a generic jungle setting arbitrarily placed in Kara-Tur. Most of the prominent creatures aren't even Asian animals.

Tam'hi (renamed spirit folk from OA)
Shu (halflings)
Saru (intelligent gorillas, even though gorillas are African)
Plantman (moldmen/vegepygmies)
Oscray (scro from Spelljammer)
Lizard men
Lacerial (renamed saurials, humanoid dinosaurs from the Forgotten Realms setting)
Katanga, ostrich (renamed hengeyokai from OA, but they turn into ostriches, even though ostriches are African)
Katanga, hedgehog (also renamed hengeyokai, but they turn into hedgehogs; the best match I can find is the Amur hedgehog, Erinaceus amurensis, which is found in Manchuria and Korea, though neither is a good match for Malatra)
Katatanga, caiman (caimans are crocodilians native to Central and South America)
Katatanga, monkey
Katatanga, pangolin (pangolins, at least, can be found in southeast Asia)
Katatanga, snake
Katatanga, tiger
Korobokuru (dwarves from Oriental Adventures)
Butu (crossbreeds between standard kobolds and bakemono from Oriental Adventures)
Aarakocra
Hippos (which are African)
Lions (the closest thing to "Oriental" lions are the ones in India)
Sloths (native to Central and South America on our world, but mentioned as existing in Malatra)

There was some more effort put into establishing an "oriental" flavor for James Wyatt's Cambodian-inspired Mahasarpa setting, where the native monsters include:

Yuan-ti
Acheri (a kind of ghost)
Bhut (as a kind of ghost rather than the Mystaran monster)
Vaati (the Wind Dukes of Aaqa from the Rod of Seven Parts boxed set, kind of a quirky choice)
Vanara (monkey people)
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby apotheot » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:10 am

Rip forgot the most prevalent monster in the setting...Garuda! (Dinosaurs)
The Malatran's also have little distinction between different types of spirits....The Undead kind, the ancestor spirits and the elemental powers (with whom they have a pact) are all considered 'Spirits" in Malatra.
I completely agree though that monsters/races/animals mentioned do not all quite fit into a "pre-colonial Indo-china" idea the setting had stated it was going for. For that and many other reasons, I am hoping it gets out of the Kara-tur forum and into one for its own world.
apotheot
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:27 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:To be honest, it's all pretty random; there was some effort to include races from Oriental Adventures, sometimes renamed, but they didn't restrict themselves to "oriental" creatures. It's more of a generic jungle setting arbitrarily placed in Kara-Tur. Most of the prominent creatures aren't even Asian animals.

Dont forget that it is a "millionaires holiday resort" gone wrong.

These races could either be "Lost World" races, that reflect what Malatra was like, when the magical forcefields were installed...

...or they could be imported races, brought in as slaves or playthings for the Nubari.

ripvanwormer wrote:Saru (intelligent gorillas, even though gorillas are African)

Talking gorillas are not African. ;) Maybe these guys are related to the grommam from Spelljammer. It wouldn't be hard for the Nubari to have captured some grommam slaves in the distant past and brought them here.

ripvanwormer wrote:Oscray (scro from Spelljammer)

These guys crashed here recently, in spelljamming ships, so

ripvanwormer wrote:Lacerial (renamed saurials, humanoid dinosaurs from the Forgotten Realms setting)

Saurials actually came to Forgotten Realms from another planet. (There is a visit to that planet in one of the novels that Jeff Grubb wrote with his wife.) Maybe the Nubari visited that world and captured some saurial slaves in ancient times.)

ripvanwormer wrote:Aarakocra

These guys actually come from Maztica! Perhaps there is another Nubari hidden base in Maztica. ;)

ripvanwormer wrote:There was some more effort put into establishing an "oriental" flavor for James Wyatt's Cambodian-inspired Mahasarpa setting, where the native monsters include:

Yuan-ti
Acheri (a kind of ghost)
Bhut (as a kind of ghost rather than the Mystaran monster)
Vaati (the Wind Dukes of Aaqa from the Rod of Seven Parts boxed set, kind of a quirky choice)
Vanara (monkey people)

Don't forget that the Kara-Tur/Mahasarpa connection turned out to be a red herring. :oops:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:04 am

Big Mac wrote:[These races could either be "Lost World" races, that reflect what Malatra was like, when the magical forcefields were installed...

...or they could be imported races, brought in as slaves or playthings for the Nubari.

Both good points.

ripvanwormer wrote:Saru (intelligent gorillas, even though gorillas are African)

Talking gorillas are not African. ;) Maybe these guys are related to the grommam from Spelljammer.

That's a strong possibility.

Saurials actually came to Forgotten Realms from another planet.

Originally this was said to be an alternate material plane, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was retconned as a planet post-Spelljammer (Hall of Heroes (1989), Dragon #292, and Serpent Kingdoms say alternate material plane). The saurials of the Lost Vale were brought there by the god Moander. The saurial Dragonbait was a paladin on a mission to the Abyss who fled back to Toril with Alias.

These guys actually come from Maztica!

In this case, they're said to be transformed Nubari. Perhaps that's just a myth, though.

Don't forget that the Kara-Tur/Mahasarpa connection turned out to be a red herring.

Yeah, I was just responding to Havard's original comment "I am trying to get a better understanding of what an Oriental Jungle Setting might be like..." Mahasarpa is possibly a purer example of an "Oriental jungle setting" than Malatra.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:11 am

apotheot wrote:Rip forgot the most prevalent monster in the setting...Garuda! (Dinosaurs)

Are there a lot of different dinosaurs in the Living Jungle?

If I recall correctly, they have them in some parts of Faerûn. I guess those dinosaurs could be recycled in Malatra. :-)

I think they have some dinosaurs in Eberron too. Perhaps we could have a dinosaur discussion, and make a list of canon Malatra dinosaurs and other ones that might be raided from other D&D products.

apotheot wrote:The Malatran's also have little distinction between different types of spirits....The Undead kind, the ancestor spirits and the elemental powers (with whom they have a pact) are all considered 'Spirits" in Malatra.

That's pretty interesting.

3rd Edition D&D brought in the ability of certain clerics (with elemental Domains) to Turn Elementals. It's almost as if that sort of logic was designed with Malatra's spirit-mix in mind. :)

apotheot wrote:I completely agree though that monsters/races/animals mentioned do not all quite fit into a "pre-colonial Indo-china" idea the setting had stated it was going for.

I think we have to ask how much Malatra is a "time capsule" showing what Kara-Tur was like, before the Nubari arrived...and how much Malatra is a "zoo" showcasing what races the Nubari wanted to enslave and bring with them to their "hidden base", back in the day when their empire was thriving. :)

apotheot wrote:For that and many other reasons, I am hoping it gets out of the Kara-tur forum and into one for its own world.

Me too. It's a three-step process to get a Malatra forum request through:
  1. Five fans need to write meaningful posts (i.e. not just stuff like "I agree") in Malatra topics,
  2. The Malatra fans need to create at least 10 meaningful topics and
  3. One of the Malatra fans needs to go and make a formal request in the Forum Request Thread.

Maybe you could be the one to put the requst in, when we get to that stage. I think you are a better Living Jungle expert than I am. :D
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Seethyr » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:21 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Originally this was said to be an alternate material plane, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was retconned as a planet post-Spelljammer (Hall of Heroes (1989), Dragon #292, and Serpent Kingdoms say alternate material plane). The saurials of the Lost Vale were brought there by the god Moander. The saurial Dragonbait was a paladin on a mission to the Abyss who fled back to Toril with Alias.

There is a lot of saurial discussion going onright now over at Candlekeep. My guess is that the alternate world is Abeir.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:37 am

Seethyr wrote:There is a lot of saurial discussion going onright now over at Candlekeep. My guess is that the alternate world is Abeir.

A problem with that is Hall of Heroes' statement that "What we laughingly call higher sentience in mammalian life does not apparently exist in Dragonbait's plane." This isn't true of Abeir. I suppose it's possible that he's from some isolated part of Abeir where humans and demihumans are unknown, but then you'd lose the original concept of a world where evolution took a very different turn. I think it'd be more appropriate to use a world where sentient mammals are nonexistent, replaced with saurials of various species (as well as lizardfolk, troglodytes, kobolds and other reptilian races) in those niches. Something like the Lizard Kingdoms from Beyond Countless Doorways.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:26 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Talking gorillas are not African. ;) Maybe these guys are related to the grommam from Spelljammer.

That's a strong possibility.

Over on the Google+ group for The Piazza, someone, called Alan, suggested turning the Saru into orangutans.

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Saurials actually came to Forgotten Realms from another planet.

Originally this was said to be an alternate material plane, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was retconned as a planet post-Spelljammer (Hall of Heroes (1989), Dragon #292, and Serpent Kingdoms say alternate material plane). The saurials of the Lost Vale were brought there by the god Moander. The saurial Dragonbait was a paladin on a mission to the Abyss who fled back to Toril with Alias.

I know there are two models of the universe. One with a stack of Material Planes and another with the One Prime.

I subscribe to the One Prime Model, and I've always assumed that Alternate Material Planes would all convert over into a single Material Pllane, that is split up by the crystal spheres, but I suppose that Abeir disproves the idea that all Alternate Primes are "sideways" instead of "upwards".

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

These guys actually come from Maztica!

In this case, they're said to be transformed Nubari. Perhaps that's just a myth, though.

Maybe the Maztican Aarakocra could be tansformed Nubari too. :?

There is something about Maztica, where humans get transformed into other humanoid races. Keeping the link to the Nubari would probably be better than handwaving it away.

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Don't forget that the Kara-Tur/Mahasarpa connection turned out to be a red herring.

Yeah, I was just responding to Havard's original comment "I am trying to get a better understanding of what an Oriental Jungle Setting might be like..." Mahasarpa is possibly a purer example of an "Oriental jungle setting" than Malatra.

Righto.

I think that is partly because Mahasarpa is such an open sandbox of a setting, that nothing is wrong, because they don't tell you anything much. ;-)

It would be good to fill in a few details. But that's another discussion for another topic...over in the Oriental Adventures forum (until someone brings enough Mahasarpa fans onboard The Piazza).
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:Over on the Google+ group for The Piazza, someone, called Alan, suggested turning the Saru into orangutans.

That would be more ecologically appropriate.

I know there are two models of the universe. One with a stack of Material Planes and another with the One Prime.

I subscribe to the One Prime Model, and I've always assumed that Alternate Material Planes would all convert over into a single Material Pllane, that is split up by the crystal spheres, but I suppose that Abeir disproves the idea that all Alternate Primes are "sideways" instead of "upwards".

Maybe Abeir is in a demiplane. One fan theory is that demiplanes evolve into crystal spheres after accumulating enough belief to form conduits to the outer planes, thus pulling them into the phlogiston where their borders crystallize and form spheres. Because Abeir has no gods, it wouldn't have enough belief to form an outer planar connection and it would remain in the ethereal as a demiplane.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:27 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Seethyr wrote:There is a lot of saurial discussion going onright now over at Candlekeep. My guess is that the alternate world is Abeir.

A problem with that is Hall of Heroes' statement that "What we laughingly call higher sentience in mammalian life does not apparently exist in Dragonbait's plane." This isn't true of Abeir. I suppose it's possible that he's from some isolated part of Abeir where humans and demihumans are unknown, but then you'd lose the original concept of a world where evolution took a very different turn.

That sounds logical to me.

There is the fact that, what we see of Abeir, is set in the post-Spellplague era, while, what we see of Dragonbait's home, is in the pre-Spellplague era. So it is possible that a ton-of-changes occured to Dragonbait's home, but that doesn't feel right to me.

ripvanwormer wrote:I think it'd be more appropriate to use a world where sentient mammals are nonexistent, replaced with saurials of various species (as well as lizardfolk, troglodytes, kobolds and other reptilian races) in those niches. Something like the Lizard Kingdoms from Beyond Countless Doorways.

I did once consider making "Abeirspace", as a "mirror" of Realmspace that includes the world Abeir, in place of Abeir-Toril, and a full set of other "mirror" celestial bodies for every other planet in Realmspace (perhaps with some changes like not having a "mirror" of the Tears of Selune).

I don't think you would need to do that with a "Saurialspace" crystal sphere. You could do the sort of thing you suggested, stick in the land of Dragonbait, with a portal that links to Faerun there, and also make it possible for the Nubari to visit that crystal sphere in their spelljamming ships, so that they could kidnap the Lacerial races from another part of the same world.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:58 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Over on the Google+ group for The Piazza, someone, called Alan, suggested turning the Saru into orangutans.

That would be more ecologically appropriate.

It might have been better, but I'm inclined to say "it is what it is" rather than try to reboot parts of Malatra.

I know that there are old European books that talk about "far away lands" (sometimes with a bunch of mythological nonsense added to them). I'm sure there are Chinese or Japanese writings on non-native creatures now. But I wonder how much exploration (and speculation) they might have made in the past.

If there is any sort of gorilla story, that has an East Asia connection, that might tie in OK with the background of the Saru, and provide a "Ben Kenobi solution".

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I know there are two models of the universe. One with a stack of Material Planes and another with the One Prime.

Maybe Abeir is in a demiplane. One fan theory is that demiplanes evolve into crystal spheres after accumulating enough belief to form conduits to the outer planes, thus pulling them into the phlogiston where their borders crystallize and form spheres. Because Abeir has no gods, it wouldn't have enough belief to form an outer planar connection and it would remain in the ethereal as a demiplane.

Well my idea of an "Abeirspace" that is "above" or "below" Realmspace (and accessed via a short vertical phlogiston river) could just as easily be replaced by a small conjoined sphere, that was slowly growing into a full-blown separate crystal sphere. I guess that one crystal sphere could turn into two, in the same way that one cell turns into two cells in biology.

I think the key thing here (and I don't own the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide and the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide so I don't know enough yet) is how much detail we have on the Primordials. If the Primordials of Abeir-Toril were of equal power level to the Gods of Abeir-Toril, and each was granted "equal territory", I would kind of expect Abeir to be on an equal level to Toril itself.

It's a bit of a complex subject, so I would be inclined to avoid using it for Malatra, if possible. I think that you only really need to consider this, if you are advancing the Living Jungle campaign to the post-Spellplague era. And given that would push the timeline far forward (and kill off many of the NPCs of Malatra) I would probably avoid doing that, myself. (But it might be an interesting discussion for another "[Malatra]" topic. ;) )
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby apotheot » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:54 am

The spellplague will be have a horrible effect on Malatra, as the already dwindling spells that keep it concealed would likely go crazy., Worse, the magical pacts that keep the elemental nobles (spirits) in check would be broken with unpredictable consequences. In the short term though, the setting would not likely notice much difference, as its isolation makes it unlikely that those without magic would ever discover it during these years. Though advancing Living Jungle to the 4e time period would kill off Malatra entirely, as only a few races could survive the 100 year jump, and Malatra itself is slowly getting killed by the spread of Yaku plains, which may or may not be a magical effect.

As for the origins of races in Malatra,
We are told that the Plantmen (Vegepygmies/Moldmen) were always there, as were the Shu (though I believe this one to be only a superstition, or not entirely correct). The Korobukuru emigrated when the Nubari began to shape Malatra, likely due to volcanic activity destroying their underground homes.
The katanga arguably 'evolved' as they are essentially hengeyokai. They existed before the ancients but not in the number and variety that exists during the campaign, they also interbred with the humans of the region to become a true race.
The Oscray fled form some war, though little enough information is given on it that they could easily be the scro.
The Lacerials likewise were refugees, but from some evil god who had kidnapped them, and only some of their people came with them....this I think was meant to be an allusion to the Saurials of the Lost Vale. (there is a whole story why they couldn't use the word "saurial" when the devs created them)
The Butu were brought by the Ancients to be a servitor race.
The Saru were the result of experimentation upon primates that the Ancients conducted, they also were meant to somehow be guardians of Malatra itself....(likely more on this when/if Jay ever finishes Day of the Saru Part 2)
Of the Lizardmen and Aarakocra nothing of their origin is stated. I am guessing that the Lizardmen arrived the same way a few other races had to have arrived (see below)
IMHO the aarakocra are likely refugees from Athas, likely coming with the defiler; their tribes placement seems to support this.

As for other (intelligent sentient) races that have been seen in the setting,
Snake men (yaun-ti) - unknown how long they have been in malatra or how they got there. It is possible only one "Snake Mother" was brought there, either through summoning or otherwise. One adventure delves into their existence by saying they were a result of a curse from an evil god of snakes, though my suspicion is that would likely just be the snake mother.
Shan Sao -The few of these that appeared made me suspect that they would be considered "fey spirits" in Malatra, therefore I assume they were brought or overlooked by the Ancients.
Snakeheaded-men (Ophidians) -Arrival likely somehow related to however the Snake Men were brought there.
Bullywugs- unknown how long they have been in malatra or how they got there.
Muckdwellers - unknown how long they have been in malatra or how they got there.
Tasloi -Nothing known, though they could have been another servitor race.
Fish Men (Sahaugan) -Likely arrived at the same time as the lizard men.
Grippli - Most likely simply overlooked by the Ancients, though nothing is certain.
Jaguar-men (tabaxi) - unknown how long they have been in malatra or how they got there.
Manscorpions - unknown how long they have been in malatra or how they got there.
Pteramen - possibly living in one of the mountain ranges, unknown how long they have been there.
Black dragon- unique accidental arrival, no name given, likely killed by players. ( But I always liked the idea that it was a female and clutched prior to her death... :) )
Marrashi - Only one known, but it could easily be an arrival similar to the dragon's, though it is possible that others exist somewhere.
Rakshasa -Only one known. Likely killed by players.
Malephant - Only one known, it was at one point a prisoner of the ancients. Likely killed by players.
water naga - Most likely guardians instilled by the ancients.
Freshwater trolls - my guess is that these were somehow summoned and unable to leave.
Jungle giants -all evidence points to the jungle giants existing in Malatra at least as far back as the end of the ancients and possibly earlier.
Jungle Doppelgangers - an unknown number.
Xorn- at least one was there left by the ancients, but the tamara did summon some as well.
Thri-kesh- These evolved from Thri-kreen which emigrated from Athas.
A race called "Beloks" that appear only mildly intelligent, have yellow eyes and sharp teeth, stand 3 feet tall, have a wail attack, 3 hd, and live underground... No other information about them is known.
Treants appear in one adventure, and may have some relation to the ancients or plantmen.
Troglodytes inhabit various underground ruins.
Thri-kreen were natives of Athas who got transferred there somehow. At the end of the setting only a few players had them as experimental player character races.

The Garuda, while not sentient like the above monsters, their origin has been discussed so I will give my take on it. To my knowledge they were first mentioned in the second adventure, but evidence exists to make us believe they have been around for a *long* time. There are times when their population ebbs and flows, and at the start of the setting they were beginning to become more populous in the known regions....(possibly due to the eruption of Fire Mountain disrupting the migratory patterns of their prey?) it is also worth noting that the Valley of the Spirits had *tons* of them there that were seemingly heading toward the rest of the Jungle and you are led to believe they may have arrived with the Lacerials. This leads to only a few possibilities, either they did arrive with the Lacierials (either intentionally through Blackflame and Whitehearts spell, or the resultant error that brought them there), were somehow magically summoned (likely by the lich), there is an open portal or passage to somewhere else/the outside world within the Valley that they have been migrating through, or they have always existed within the Valley in small numbers and their migrations were simply a coincidence. Personally, I think the portal is most likely, as a normal land route to Kara-tur would indicate a large number of dinosaurs in that region, which to my knowledge has never been reported.

As for a garuda list, they have done that. here is what exists....please note that some of them have been mislabeled in some adventures, but this was the official listing/classification.
CARNIVORES
Allosaurus - Flesh Lizard. A vicious predator smaller than a T-Rex, about 40' long. This is the literal translation of the scientific name, so we thought we’d use it. Uncommon. Found throughout Malatra.
Ceratosaurus - Horn Lizard. Related to the Flesh Lizard, though smaller. Only males have the single horn on its head that gives it its name. A thin line of boney plates also run from its head down its back to the tip of its tales. 17' long. Horn lizards often hunt in packs. Uncommon. Found throughout Malatra
Compsognathus - Garuda Chicken. The name says it all - about the size and shape of a chicken. These garuda hunt in packs and attack lizards, small mammals, and injured larger animals. Common. Found throughout Malatra
Deinonychus (and various related species called Velociraptors) - Raptors. Smart, vicious, leaping garuda. Think jurassic park. Rare. Found throughout Malatra
Dimetrodon - Sailback. While this monster has no claw attacks, it has a vicious, alligator-like bite. 9' long. Uncommon. Found throughout Malatra.
Dinichthys - Terrible Fish. This is not a true garuda, but rather a primitive pre-historic fish. Can swallow a nubari on a natural 20. 25+’ long. Rare in lakes. Very rare in rivers.
Euparkeria - Runner. Also sometimes called Garuda Dogs. They are 3' tall and hunt in packs. Common. Found throughout Malatra
Gorgosaurus - Sometimes called Gnasher, like the T-Rex. Also called Small Gnasher. 50' long. Rare. Found throughout Malatra
Mosasaurus - Water Gnasher. 50' long and clumsy on land, the Water Gnasher is perfectly adapted to life in Malatra’s large lakes. Less then a handful are know to exist. Very Rare. Found only in lakes.
Pteranodon - Flying Lizard. Although this garuda’s body is only 4' long, it has a wingspan of 30'. This limits its hunting grounds to lakes, the Rayanna savannah, and the mountain ranges. Rare.
Temnodontosaurus - Fish Lizard. Another primitive fish, even bigger than the Terrible Fish. 30' long. Very rare in lakes.
Teratosaurus - Small Gnasher. This is a name of respect, not a comment on its size. Though only 20' long (9' is tail), Small Gnashers are fearless and vicious, and so have earned the name Gnasher. Uncommon. Mostly found in the Rayanna savannah.
T-Rex - Sometimes called Gnasher. Large ones are called Tyrant Lizard. 50' long, 20' high. Rare. Found throughout Malatra.
HERBIVORES
Anchisaurus - Tree Climber. A bipedal plant eater that will sometimes climb to escape predators. 7' long. Common. Found throughout Malatra.
Ankylosaurus - Rock Skin. An armadillo like monster weighing 4 or 5 tons. 15' long. Uncommon. Found south of Fire Mountain.
Brachiosaurus - Great Mountain. The largest known dinosaur (well, at the time of the monster manual printing, anyway). 75' long. Very rare. Only found in the deepest, and softest, swamps.
Brontosaurus - Thunder Lizard. A 40-ton plant eater, 70' long. Very rare. Found in isolated swamps and lakes. Occasionally one finds its way to a major river.
Camarasaurus - Small Mountain. 50' long, lives along side the other plant-eaters of the swamps. Very shy, but tends to move in herds. Uncommon. Only found in the deepest swamps.
Camptosaurus - Stomper. One of the dumbest and slowest herd garuda in the jungle. Often one of their number has to die before the herd will take flight, but when it does, anything in the herds path gets crushed. 20' long. Common. Found throughout Malatra.
Diplodocus - Long Lizard. 80' long, this is the longest garuda in the jungle. It weighs very little, however. Only about 10 tons. Common. Found in swamps.
Iguanodon - Tree Eater. 15' tall and 30' long. Can run on all fours but may stand bipedal to reach vegetation. Aggressive when cornered. Uncommon. Found throughout Malatra.
Lambeosaurus - Duck Bill. The famous horn-crested dinosaur. Can see, hear, and smell exceptionally well. 20' long. Common. Found south of Fire Mountain.
Mamenchisaurus - Stiff Neck. Though 70' long, this garuda is half neck - a full 35'. This allows it to reach vegetation that other plant eaters miss when it stands up on its hind feet, but there is a draw back: the beast can only bend its neck at the head and at the shoulders. The rest of the neck is an interlocking support network of boney struts. Uncommon. Found south of Fire Mountain.
Paleocinthus - Thorn Skin. Related to the Rock Skin, but even larger and heavier. 6 to 8 tons, 20' long. Rare. Found south of Fire Mountain.
Stegosaurus - Spiketail. A very aggressive, very stupid plant eater. Common. Found throughout Malatra.
Trachodon - Duck Lizard. Related to the Duck Bill, but larger. They are a favorite prey of many Gnashers. Uncommon. Found throughout Malatra.
Triceratops - Three Horn. Found only on the Rayanna savannah, this is the most aggressive of the herbivores. It is over ten tons and stands 18' at the shoulder. Compare this to an elephant that is six to eight tons and stands 13'. Common. Found only on the Rayanna savannah.

Hope that helps
Last edited by apotheot on Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
apotheot
Ogre

Postby BlackBat242 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:42 am

On the Piazza FB page asking about this was posted:

Deborah Teramis Christian wrote: As the designer of Malatra, I can say the area is a loose analog of southeast Asia, inspired by Thailand, Cambodia and elements of Malaysia as well. Any supplement that draws on African ecology for its monster base is geographically off base, for sure. I haven't read the contents of this particular work, though, and so can't comment further.

I suggested that the hippos be replaced with water buffaloes.

Indonesia (next door to Malaysia) has orangutans, so perhaps the talking gorillas could be extra-large talking 'tans?

Then there are "dragon (komodo)" (southern Indonesian islands) :P ;) .
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby apotheot » Wed May 04, 2016 2:45 am

Deborah Teramis Christian wrote: As the designer of Malatra, I can say the area is a loose analog of southeast Asia, inspired by Thailand, Cambodia and elements of Malaysia as well. Any supplement that draws on African ecology for its monster base is geographically off base, for sure. I haven't read the contents of this particular work, though, and so can't comment further.

I agree that was the geographic intent, but by the time the adventures started flowing it became a loose amalgam of any sort of jungle environment; Southeast Asia, Africa, and even South America. According to Tom Prusa

"Malatra originally started as an Asia-Africa hybrid, but only for
the intelligent races, and a few of the monsters. The actual jungle setting
is dependent on neither setting, it is unique. It's been isolated for over a
millenium, it certainly can have made it's own way. Basically, if you can
make a logical case for something existing in the jungle, it probably does.
Given all of the authors (including me), who stick anything that ever
happens in any jungle into their modules, one could say 'all-inclusive
jungle' is a good summary.

Tom

Just because you haven't seen any jaguars, doesn't mean they don't
exist. I know we have seen capibara (sp?), which I believe is unique to
South American jungles. But no jaguar familiars."
apotheot
Ogre

Return to Kara-Tur