[Malatra] Monster question: Anyone know about the Beloks?

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Postby apotheot » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Was reading through Mantu's Sacrifice again and came across a monster humanoid race I have never heard of before and can find no reference to called a "Beloks". Anyone have any knowledge of these?
apotheot
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:36 pm

apotheot wrote:Was reading through Mantu's Sacrifice again and came across a monster humanoid race I have never heard of before and can find no reference to called a "Beloks". Anyone have any knowledge of these?

I've had a search around, but I can't find anything about Beloks.

According to the [Malatra] List of Living Jungle adventures topic, Mantu's Sacrifice was by Susan Threadgill.

I wonder if there is a way to locate here and ask her. Maybe this monster was another D&D monster that got renamed. Was there any artwork to go with this?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Malatra] Monster question: Anyone know about the Beloks

Postby apotheot » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:35 am

Several people by that name on Facebook, no way to know which one is her...if she still lives or goes by that last name. One day I'll find a good RPGA Grognard who has kept in touch with everyone.
apotheot
Ogre

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:50 am

Is it possible that this was a typo?

Maybe she meant bodak, or bozak draconian.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby apotheot » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:31 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Is it possible that this was a typo?

Maybe she meant bodak, or bozak draconian.

If so, it was a massive one...by my count the term is used 12 times, including two stat blocks. The monster also doesn't seem to fit with any I am aware of .... 3 foot tall 3 hd humanoids that have yellow eyes, sharp teeth and an audible wail attack which prevents spellcasting, communicating and gives non-beloks a penalty to attack . They also do not speak a language the pcs can understand (nubari), If you know something similar, let me know.
apotheot
Ogre

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:51 am

It sounds like a screaming devilkin (1st edition Fiend Folio). 3 feet tall, 3 hit dice, scream attack that disrupts spellcasting and prevents communication and makes them hard to attack.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby apotheot » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:56 am

ripvanwormer wrote:It sounds like a screaming devilkin (1st edition Fiend Folio). 3 feet tall, 3 hit dice, scream attack that disrupts spellcasting and prevents communication and makes them hard to attack.

Had to look that one up it has been so long... good thought, but these are alignment neutral, have 2 claw attacks, no tail or wings, so doesn't quite fit.
apotheot
Ogre

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:28 am

Probably a new monster, then, based closely on the screaming devilkin but without the wings or tail. I looked up "belok" in Echohawk's monster index and came up with nothing (except the Kingdoms of Kalamar supplement Secrets of the Alubelok Coast, but there's no monster called a belok in there).
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby apotheot » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:30 am

yeah, that's what my internet research turned up as well. It also wasn't on the somewhat more complete lomion page. so little about them is listed, that my assumption was the author either made a mistake when thinking of a different monster, or intended to use them in a future adventure to flesh them out somewhat. But I am cool with a new and previously unknown monster race.
apotheot
Ogre

Postby BlackBat242 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:30 am

They could easily be used to supply the sense of "What the &%$$# was That?" that is all too often missing from AD&D /D&D games, where every player has memorized the monster manuals and can identify every creature from a partial description.

Introduce them into the game, and don't let the players find out what they actually are for a very long time. The PCs simply hear rumors of these unknown beings, and run into a few here or there, and never can learn more about them until they make it a point to search for their origin (a quest that will be neither quick, nor easy, nor close-to-home {or even known lands}) ;) !
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Return to Kara-Tur