[Malatra] Spellplague in the Jungle

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

[Malatra] Spellplague in the Jungle

Postby apotheot » Wed May 18, 2016 10:19 am

I was wondering what people's thoughts are about how Malatra would endure the Spellplague. This topic was broached in another thread but I thought it necessitated its own topic.

Some thoughts to keep in mind.
The Ancients of Malatra used to experiment with time (A Stitch in Time) and may have foreseen some sort of magical catastrophe on the world or moved to some how prevent it.
During the spellplague, many parts of Toril vanished when the world briefly merged with Abeir; the area seems like it might fit into that world fairly easily.
The Spirits may act to try to protect the region on their own, or the magic that binds them to their pact could fail completely.
The races/tribes of Malatra rely on magic much less than in other places on Toril, but communication is still an issue as sign language is not universally known.
The magic of the domes is strong, as are the spells preventing the Tamara from returning, with these and other potential spells left by the ancients anything could happen.


I thought I would also point out that if the campaign timeline had continued, with one In-game year equaling one Real time year, then based on when the Living Jungle and Living City connected on the Dale Reckoning calendar (1369 DR =1999 - The Year Of Sorrow And Hope) then 2015 would have been the Death of Mystra and the beginning of the Spellplague.
Anyone have any thoughts?
-Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Re: [Malatra] Spellplague in the Jungle

Postby Zeromaru X » Wed May 18, 2016 8:52 pm

One of the most devastating effects of the Spellplague were the Plaguelands. Magic not only failed, but also mutated those lands and the creatures inhabiting them. The less affected of those creatures developed spellscars, while some were frozen in time and awaken 100 years after, like Geran the Swordmage. The most prominent of these plaguelands in Faerun was Halruaa, that became known as the Plaguewrought Land.

The FR wiki has some articles about those effects. As well you should read the document about the Wailing Years, the time the spellplague was at its most devastating effect, to raid some ideas.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Spellplague
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Plagueland
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/P ... ought_Land
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10705
User avatar
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:24 am

Re: [Malatra] Spellplague in the Jungle

Postby apotheot » Wed May 18, 2016 10:49 pm

There is a fun possibility. Perhaps after some initial Chaos, the area became Plaguelands and caused some changes to the region while simultaneously freezing everything in time for a century or until after the Sundering. Would make for an interesting setting/adventure to play in/through. It would also provide a mechanism to skip 4th ed, which although it had its merits, did not fit right with the setting.
apotheot
Ogre
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Re: [Malatra] Spellplague in the Jungle

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu May 19, 2016 12:57 am

Well, Geran awakened in 1479, that was the year the 4e FR campaign started. But yeah, if you don't like the 4e FR, you can use the spellplague as means to time skip right to the Sundering, when Ao at last intervened to stop all the strange happenings since the Time of Troubles. You can populate your lands with some abeirans, thou. Dinosaurs and the like, that would give some new adventure ideas for Malatra. Or just leave at it was before the Spellplague.
User avatar
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:24 am

Re: [Malatra] Spellplague in the Jungle

Postby Big Mac » Thu May 19, 2016 11:42 pm

apotheot wrote:I was wondering what people's thoughts are about how Malatra would endure the Spellplague. This topic was broached in another thread but I thought it necessitated its own topic.


Great idea for a topic.

apotheot wrote:Some thoughts to keep in mind.
The Ancients of Malatra used to experiment with time (A Stitch in Time) and may have foreseen some sort of magical catastrophe on the world or moved to some how prevent it.


How long ago are the Ancients supposed to have visited Malatra and created their magical dome? Would they have built it way back before Abeir-Toril split into two worlds...or after Toril was a separate planet?

I think that if Malatra was created before the original Sundering, then the magic used by The Ancients would already have survived that event and might be able to survive similar events.

Then again, The Spellplague might drain the magical dome down to nothing and open up The Living Jungle to additional contact from the lower parts of Malatra that Teramis designed.

apotheot wrote:During the spellplague, many parts of Toril vanished when the world briefly merged with Abeir; the area seems like it might fit into that world fairly easily.


What with Malatra being magically hidden, it probably wouldn't cause problems in Kara-Tur if it vanished.

But, here is a question for you: Did the Ancients come from a distant crystal sphere...or did they come over to Toril from Abier? Could a plotline that sends The Living Jungle over to Abeir be a plotline about it "going home"?

apotheot wrote:The Spirits may act to try to protect the region on their own, or the magic that binds them to their pact could fail completely.


Good point.

My Spellplague-fu is very weak, so I don't know. But I thought that the Spirits were actually several types of things, so they might not all be affected the same way.

apotheot wrote:The races/tribes of Malatra rely on magic much less than in other places on Toril, but communication is still an issue as sign language is not universally known.


I guess that translators would become more important (in society) if magical translation failed.

apotheot wrote:The magic of the domes is strong, as are the spells preventing the Tamara from returning, with these and other potential spells left by the ancients anything could happen.


True.

apotheot wrote:I thought I would also point out that if the campaign timeline had continued, with one In-game year equaling one Real time year, then based on when the Living Jungle and Living City connected on the Dale Reckoning calendar (1369 DR =1999 - The Year Of Sorrow And Hope) then 2015 would have been the Death of Mystra and the beginning of the Spellplague.


Wow! What with the big 4e timejump, I forgot that it was that close.

I think I would probably prefer to continue from where the old Living Jungle stuff last left off, and have several more years of pre-Spellplague gaming, but this is an important question to think about. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21628
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [Malatra] Spellplague in the Jungle

Postby apotheot » Fri May 20, 2016 8:19 am

Big Mac wrote:
How long ago are the Ancients supposed to have visited Malatra and created their magical dome? Would they have built it way back before Abeir-Toril split into two worlds...or after Toril was a separate planet?

I think that if Malatra was created before the original Sundering, then the magic used by The Ancients would already have survived that event and might be able to survive similar events.

Then again, The Spellplague might drain the magical dome down to nothing and open up The Living Jungle to additional contact from the lower parts of Malatra that Teramis designed.


Sadly, there is no real timeframe ever given for that... Though a few references to the catastrophe that destroyed them taking place '1000 years ago' are interesting....perhaps it is closer to 1600 years ago (from second ed timeline) which would coincide with the fall of Netheril... Some sources though conflate the catastrophe with the war with the Tamara, which I feel was likely only one part in their slow decline. (We know the war was not the only hardship that befell them.) Placing the Ancients on Toril before the first Sundering (c 19000 years prior to the start of the Jungle Campaign) though might be a bit too early, though nothing I know prevents it.

Big Mac wrote:What with Malatra being magically hidden, it probably wouldn't cause problems in Kara-Tur if it vanished.

But, here is a question for you: Did the Ancients come from a distant crystal sphere...or did they come over to Toril from Abier? Could a plotline that sends The Living Jungle over to Abeir be a plotline about it "going home"?


Heh, I remember the Gen Con 2008 when they told us that with 4e Maztica was now gone, and when asked they said they hadn't decided if Kara-tur and Zakhara were in the same boat... the room was not thrilled.
Steven Jay had said that the Tamara (which was the original home of the Ancients) was far away and moving farther away all the time, so if Abeir were the original home, the spellplague would have snapped it back to Toril like a rubberband.
Also of note, was Ed's comment that the brief re-merging with Abier was something that had happened before... Which with those two comments I'm inclined to assume the Tamara/Ancient world was/is a different sphere altogether.

Big Mac wrote:
My Spellplague-fu is very weak, so I don't know. But I thought that the Spirits were actually several types of things, so they might not all be affected the same way.


This is true, Spirits in Malatra had the divisions essentially established by the 2e Shaman book. The term could refer to fey creatures, non-corporeal undead, ancestor spirits, or elementals. The last of which specifically means Elemental Nobles (refugees from Athas), with whom the people of Malatra have a pact, and to whom I was referring. I admit to not know what even god-like elemental beings could do during a time when magic is unreliable however.

Big Mac wrote:Wow! What with the big 4e timejump, I forgot that it was that close.

I think I would probably prefer to continue from where the old Living Jungle stuff last left off, and have several more years of pre-Spellplague gaming, but this is an important question to think about. :)


I agree, there is much more that could happen prior to the Spellplague, but partially in keeping with your idea of viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15200

But in order to do that, I am assuming things need to be updated to 5e mechanics, which works best to assume that The Spellplague happened and The Sundering restored a semblance of order. A 100 year timejump is not palatable though, as almost all the npcs/former pcs from back in the day would now be dead --necessitating a LOT of work to potential authors to create new bigwigs and potentially even new tribes. Better to assume something like the area got pulled out of time so only a little more than a decade has passed from the character's perspective, but that is personal preference.

Here is the timeline I have been working with (based on the original, though I have added some years and named them myself as sadly the campaign died). Keep in mind though that I do not have all the adventures (yet), was not privy to the behind the scenes discussions of future plots/arcs and indeed never even played the original campaign as sadly I didn't even learn of its existence until 2011. I am not married to any of this...particularly if the Jungle is somehow resurrected.

1365 DR = 1995 - The Year Of Awakening
This is the first year of jungle and reflect the peoples of Malatra
reaching out to meet their neighbors after a great period of
insular attitudes

1366 DR = 1996 - The Year Of Discovery
When many new and wonderous things were learned about the jungle.

1367 DR = 1997 - The Year Of New Peoples
When Lacerials and Oscray arrived.

1368 DR = 1998 - The Year Of Gathering Darkness
When the quakes began and the Yaksha led the Huroola astray

1369 DR =1999 - The Year Of Sorrow And Hope
When some friends were lost and some friends were found.

1370 DR = 2000 - The Year Of Great Change
When the Katimaya were displaced and the Jungle Of Lost Tribes came
under Tiger control. Also when the campaign transitioned to 3e.

1371 DR = 2001 - The Year Of Tigers Curse
When the people of the jungle become increasingly desperate in their war against Tiger.

1372 DR = 2002 - The Year Of Despair
The year where Bengoukee's absence is felt, as the peoples begin to feel the war will be lost.

1373 DR = 2003 - The Year Of Lion’s Victory
Where the people are able to defeat the Tamara.

1374 DR = 2004 - The Year of Grieving and Celebrations
Where the power vacuum in the jungle is dealt with, the dead are mourned and the living have one hell of a party.

1375 DR = 2005 - The Year of the Scaly War
Reference to the plot thread of a war between the Snake-people and Lizard people.

1376 DR = 2006 - The Year of the Clutch
The absolute last year the former thri-kreen pc's could conceivably breed in order to keep their race a viable one within Malatra. Potential other adventures.

1377 DR = 2007 - The Year of the Reborn Jungle
Mostly a place-holder name, though also a reference to it being the year Steven Jay released part one of Day of the Saru....new Jungle after 4 years!

1378 DR = 2008 - The Year of the Dark Hunt
Reference to whatever Steven Jay intended with the Dark Hunter.

1379 DR = 2009 – The Year of the Risen South
Reference to an adventure written by James Stepanek, though the story this year is intended to be the consequences of that adventure which took place a few years earlier. Possible tie in to the next year.

1380 DR = 2010- The Year of the Thing from the Valley
Reference to whatever Steven Jay was planning to do with the lich.

1381 DR = 2011- The Year of the Long Quiet
Inside joke about the Yahoo group not having anyone post for almost 12 months. Also potential for a adventure/story here.

1382 DR = 2012- The Year of the Great Storm
Reference to an adventure I have been working on, and have plotted out.

1383 DR = 2013- The Year of the Saru
The Year of Stephen Jay's Day of the Saru Part 1 and (hopefully someday) Part 2

1384 DR = 2014- The Year of the Black Tide
A reference to the Yaku Plains, possibly foreshadowed in the previous year.

1385 DR = 2015- The Year of Angry Gods
The year of Mystra's Death, the beginning of the Spellplague. Ideally, some other crazy things would happen due to these events early in the year.

2016- The Year of New Hope
Current Real World year and a great starting point for a 5e game.


Anyway, that's what I am going with, and the reason for my original question.

Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:19 pm


Return to Kara-Tur

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests