[Malatra] Other useful products

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

[Malatra] Other useful products

Postby apotheot » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:13 am

At Gen Con I picked up a Lamentations of the Flame Princess setting called World of the Lost. I was surprised to find that there were MANY similarities to the Living Jungle version of Malatra. It is a jungle setting is atop a plateau, and unaccessible to the outside world. The plateau is inhabited by humans, dinosaurs (megafauna), and dinosaur-men. There is an ancient alien species that built the region. Oh and the plateau is surrounded by a forcefield.
All of this had me wondering what other RPG products could be useful to a Malatra game.

Of course you have the Forgotten Realms Adventure/Supplement The Jungles of Chult, as well as the Maztica Box set and trilogy of Adventure/Supplements.
Other than that, Atlas games had a setting book, one supplement and an adventure for the Nyambe setting, based in an African-esq world.
Perhaps someone more familiar with Hollow Earth Expedition can point to some specific products.

To clarify,
What I am looking for are products about jungle/primitive themed settings with tribal environments; bonus points for the addition of spirits or dinosaurs in the setting.
-Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre

Re: [Malatra] Other useful products

Postby Sturm » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:06 pm

Mystara's Hollow World fits into your guidelines..
viewforum.php?f=25
It has dinosaurs and tribal societies but it is inside a planet.. there aren't cultures inspired by south east asia in canon products, even if I planned to include at least one, the Paeshen, in Threshold magazine issue #9:
http://pandius.com/Threshold_9.pdf
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby apotheot » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:22 am

Sturm wrote:Mystara's Hollow World fits into your guidelines..
viewforum.php?f=25
It has dinosaurs and tribal societies but it is inside a planet.. there aren't cultures inspired by south east asia in canon products, even if I planned to include at least one, the Paeshen, in Threshold magazine issue #9:

Thanks, good catch. I am kinda campaign-blind when it comes to Mystara...keep forgetting that it exists.
apotheot
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:09 pm

apotheot wrote:
Sturm wrote:Mystara's Hollow World fits into your guidelines..
viewforum.php?f=25

Thanks, good catch. I am kinda campaign-blind when it comes to Mystara...keep forgetting that it exists.

I was totally clueless about Mystara, before I joined The Piazza.

Now (thanks to the help of lots of Mystara fans) I'm only mostly clueless. :lol:

The Hollow World has something called the "Spell of Preservation" going on to retain the unque cultures that have been taken from the Known World and transplanted into the Hollow World. That's not quite the same thing as the spell protecting Malatra, but there might be some similarities that would be useful for anyone trying to run a plotline that involves "breaking out of Malatra".
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:13 pm

You might also want to look at the Mahasarpa Campaign Setting (the Web Enhancement for the 3rd Edition version of Oriental Adventures). There is not much there and it's not quite the same sort of culture, but it's a lot more close to the region of Kara-Tur that the Malatran Peninsula is based in, than most campaign settings.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby The Dark » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:49 am

Another 3.x setting to look at would be Nyambe. It's a fantasy Africa with some ideas that could be lifted and dropped into Malatra.
The Dark
Troll

Return to Kara-Tur