[3e][OA] Oriental Adventures Kara-Tur content?

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

[3e][OA] Oriental Adventures Kara-Tur content?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:42 pm

I like Kara-Tur. I also like 3rd Edition D&D.

I know that the 3e version of Oriental Adventures includes some content that can be used with Kara-Tur, but a lot of the other products (produced by AEG) seem to have much more of a tie-in with Rokugan.

I know that some of them seem to be specifically about Rokugan's clans.

Is there anything in any of those books that is usable in Kara-Tur?

Is there anything that is in Rokugan but not Kara-Tur, that I would need to watch out for in any of the books that have less of a Rokugan tie-in?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [3e][OA] Oriental Adventures Kara-Tur content?

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:07 am

Big Mac wrote:Is there anything that is in Rokugan but not Kara-Tur, that I would need to watch out for in any of the books that have less of a Rokugan tie-in?

I don't own too much of the Rokugan material (always meant to pick it up, but never got around to doing so), but offhand, the biggest thing that I can think of that is very Rokugan with no corresponding Kara-Tur comparison would be anything related to the Shadowlands. There are demons/oni in Kara-Tur, but they are somewhat different from those of Rokugan, and there is no large wasteland in the Prime Plane like that of the Shadowlands.

It would be fairly simple to incorporate if one chose, but going strictly by canon it doesn't really fit.

IIRC, ratfolk are a major race in 3E Rokugan as well, but didn't have any corresponding counterpart in Kara-Tur.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Ashtagon » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:34 am

At least within the Rokugan Campaign Setting book, Kara-Tur-usable content includes:

• Race stats for Nezumi and Naga (ratfolk and snakefolk), but ymmv depending on kitchen-sinkiness
  • Revised Samurai and Shugenja classes.
  • New class: Courtier (Charisma-based social character, non-caster. Basically the aristocrat done right)
  • New Class: Ninja (fills that trope well, though not really original. the 3.5e version in the Complete series book is just as functional)
  • New Class: Inkyo (a monk that integrates the void points introduced later in this book. Not particularly inspiring as a class)
  • The usual plethora of prestige classes. All of these are usable, but refluffing may be needed in some cases.
  • The usual plethora of feats. It's easy enough to drop the Rokugan clan as a prerequisite where listed.
  • Weapon and armour stats in the equipment section. These are mostly 'Japanese' weapons not listed in Oriental Adventures.
  • The usual plethora of new spells. Some of these may be Rokugan-specific.
  • A selection of magic items. Most of these will need re-fluffing, as they include details of the item's history with a named clan.
  • Three new monsters, but all three are closely tied to Rokugan, so ymmv

The Secrets series and the Way series of books also contain usable content, but given the Rokugan-specific fluff: generic content ratio, you might want to hold off getting them unless at a very good bargain price.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:56 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Is there anything that is in Rokugan but not Kara-Tur, that I would need to watch out for in any of the books that have less of a Rokugan tie-in?

I don't own too much of the Rokugan material (always meant to pick it up, but never got around to doing so), but offhand, the biggest thing that I can think of that is very Rokugan with no corresponding Kara-Tur comparison would be anything related to the Shadowlands. There are demons/oni in Kara-Tur, but they are somewhat different from those of Rokugan, and there is no large wasteland in the Prime Plane like that of the Shadowlands.

Thanks for that. It sounds like Fortunes and Winds would probably be a bad fit then. (I might still buy the book...as something to use to learn about Rokugan, but I'll adjust my "buy in" price down a bit.)

Cthulhudrew wrote:It would be fairly simple to incorporate if one chose, but going strictly by canon it doesn't really fit.

I could do that, you are right. But I'm hoping to keep Kara-Tur as part of Forgotten Realms and Realmspace. So I would rather reboot the Shadowlands to be something that fits in with the Great Wheel and/or Forgotten Realms cosmology (from the 3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting than start making changes to the Kara-Tur cosmology. :)

I suppose that it might be possible to add in something like that as a demiplane. But I would go for any alternative options first.

Cthulhudrew wrote:IIRC, ratfolk are a major race in 3E Rokugan as well, but didn't have any corresponding counterpart in Kara-Tur.

Given that Jeff Grubb had a habit of sneaking animal-headed humanoids into as many campaign settings as possible, ratfolk sound like the would fit with his MO. So perhaps they could be dropped down from a major race to a very rare race and stuck into the setting somewhere. Perhaps they might work as people who travelled to Kara-Tur from the Rokuganspace Crystal Sphere. :halo:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:10 am

Ashtagon wrote:At least within the Rokugan Campaign Setting book, Kara-Tur-usable content includes:

• Race stats for Nezumi and Naga (ratfolk and snakefolk), but ymmv depending on kitchen-sinkiness
  • Revised Samurai and Shugenja classes.
  • New class: Courtier (Charisma-based social character, non-caster. Basically the aristocrat done right)
  • New Class: Ninja (fills that trope well, though not really original. the 3.5e version in the Complete series book is just as functional)
  • New Class: Inkyo (a monk that integrates the void points introduced later in this book. Not particularly inspiring as a class)
  • The usual plethora of prestige classes. All of these are usable, but refluffing may be needed in some cases.
  • The usual plethora of feats. It's easy enough to drop the Rokugan clan as a prerequisite where listed.
  • Weapon and armour stats in the equipment section. These are mostly 'Japanese' weapons not listed in Oriental Adventures.
  • The usual plethora of new spells. Some of these may be Rokugan-specific.
  • A selection of magic items. Most of these will need re-fluffing, as they include details of the item's history with a named clan.
  • Three new monsters, but all three are closely tied to Rokugan, so ymmv

Thanks for that mini-review. I do have Rokugan Campaign Setting (as it came up cheap a while back) but I had mostly written it off as being raidable for a Kara-Tur game.

The Courtier sounds interesting. I might grab that.

Inkyo sounds like it requires the void points mechanic. I'm not sure how well that would fit with Forgotten Realms/Realmspace. Perhaps it could be rebooted to be connected to something like the Shadow Weave. I'll have to think about this. :?

I tend to like Prestige Classes only if they tie in to a campaign setting (like the Red Wizards of Thay for mainstream Forgotten Realms). So I think I would be looking for classic Kara-Tur organisations I could connect to Rokugan Campaign Setting PrCs (just so they felt like they had "always been there".

As for dropping the clan requirements in Feats, I think I would probably want to make them more like the Regional Feats from FRCS. Then I could have some sort of consistency across Toril. :)

Ashtagon wrote:The Secrets series and the Way series of books also contain usable content, but given the Rokugan-specific fluff: generic content ratio, you might want to hold off getting them unless at a very good bargain price.

That sounds like a plan. I try to work out the percentage of usable content in books and adjust my "buy in" price on a pro-rata basis. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tonnichiwa » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:33 pm

I just read through this for the first time and after having a look through the 3rd edition Oriental Adventures book, I can hopefully give you some good ideas.

While Nezumi (the rat people) are not really something in Kara-Tur, Rat Hengeyokai definitely are. So maybe you could import the Nezumi race as a specific Hengeyokai race that just happens to be more prominent than the rest of the Hengeyokai.

As far as some of the Oni from the Rokugan setting, you could always import the shadowfell into your games and have the Oni come from there. Since all oni in Kara-Tur are from the Celestial Bureaucracy, I don't see why they wouldn't come from a different area than the prime material plane. And I think the Shadowfell fits nicely for where they would reside.

As far as the different Rokugan clans go, I would personally just make up some prominent Samurai families that would have the same abilities as the ones in the 3rd edition Oriental Adventures, then have those families be the power players in the game, with the other Samurai families being less powerful. I would not name them the same. I would re-skin them so they have more Kara-Tur sounding names and then just keep the Mon (Samurai Family Symbol/Crest) so you can identify them easily when referring back to the printed material.

As far as some of the more strange classes in the book, I would probably re-skin those so that they come from some of the monasteries or temples that seem to fill the lands of Kara-Tur. The different abilities they possess could represent esoteric martial styles or something like that.
Last edited by Tonnichiwa on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tonnichiwa
Goblin

Postby Ashtagon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:36 am

Using nezumi stats as a specific "hengeyokai" doesn't really fit with the concept of what a hengeyokai is. Hengeyokai (変化妖怪) literally means "shape-shifting monster" (it can have other meanings, but that is the specific meaning used in AD&D 1e). The earliest use of the term I have found is the AD&D 1e Oriental Adventures supplement (1992). It has since seen use in 3rd edition D&D, a White Wolf book (published in 1998), and possibly others. The hengeyokai of OA 1e had as their most distinctive feature the ability to shapechange a limited number of times a day between three forms (human, hybrid, and animal), with all changes under conscious control (unlike a lycanthrope).

Although "henge" and "yokai" both appear as separate words to classify two different groupings of Japanese mythological beasties, there is no such thing as a "hengeyokai" in traditional mythology.

Whatever else nezumi are, they most certainly are not shape-shifters. That said, if you want to use nezumi, go for it. But they are no more hengeyokai than kenku or kobolds are. If you want rat-inspired hengeyokai, they are up front and centre on page 10 of the 3e Oriental Adventures book.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Tonnichiwa » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:25 am

Yes, I agree with you. I never said they were hengeyokai, just that Nezumi could be re-skinned to be rat hengeyokai if you really had to have Nezumi in your game. Though if I were to do that personally, I would probably have the story go something like back in the ancient past, the Nezumi were cursed by the Celestial Emperor so they can no longer change form.

But I don't actually use Nezumi in my games. They don't really fit well in my version of Kara-Tur.
Tonnichiwa
Goblin

Return to Kara-Tur