The Dragonwall

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

The Dragonwall

Postby Havard » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:05 pm

What is the Dragonwall? Who built it and why?

Are there any published adventures involving the Dragonwall? I recall being part of a campaign back in the 80s where we travelled along the Dragonwall. I wonder if it was based on any published material or just something from the imagination of the DM?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: The Dragonwall

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:58 pm

It played a large role in the novel Dragonwall, the second in the Horde Trilogy. Though I don't recall how much detail they went into about it there, I do seem to recall something to the effect of their being some kind of actual dragon that was used in the creation of the wall (either a spirit dragon or a real one turned to stone). IIRC (again, possibly faulty memory) it was the freeing of that dragon that allowed the Horde to invade Shou-Lung.

To the best of my knowledge, that is the most ever written/said about the Dragonwall. It receives some mention in the Horde Campaign boxed set, but doesn't reveal details/spoilers about the novel. I expect it is discussed at least briefly in the Kara-Tur boxed set as well, but I don't recall for certain.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: The Dragonwall

Postby Nate Christen » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:04 am

Since I re-read Oriental Adventures and the Kara-Tur boxed set over the summer, some of this is relatively fresh in my brain.

The Dragonwall is indeed the petrified body of a great dragon named Pao Hu Jen, turned to stone using the Jade Mirror of Shih.

(This is, at least, how it's reported by the dragon Mei Lung Cheng Shan, who wrote that part of Volume I and who claims to have witnessed these events personally.)

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com
Nate Christen
Troll

Return to Kara-Tur