What are the Forgotten Realms influences on Kara-Tur?

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

What are the Forgotten Realms influences on Kara-Tur?

Post by Big Mac » Wed May 09, 2018 12:30 pm

I've heard that Kara-Tur was originally going to be inserted into Greyhawk and that it got moved over to being a Forgotten Realms subsetting later.

What sort of impact has this had on the Kara-Tur canon?

Is there anything in Forgotten Realms canon that has an impact on how Kara-Tur works? (Is there anything in Forgotten Realms canon that should have an impact on Kara-Tur, but that doesn't get mentioned?)

For example, is there any mention of the Overgod, Ao, in any of the Kara-Tur books?

Does the Weave (or the Shadow-Weave) have any involvement in spellcasting in Kara-Tur?

Are there examples of FaerIûnian spellcasting in Kara-Tur...or vice versa?

Is there any sort of philosophy, alchemy or science in Kara-Tur that ties into the "laws of nature of Realmspace" (where real-world Asian cultures have similar things that tie into real world science or pseudoscience)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Re: What are the Forgotten Realms influences on Kara-Tur?

Post by Boneguard » Wed May 09, 2018 1:42 pm

The inclusion of Kara-Tur to the Realms rather than Greyhawk has little to no impact s it was pretty much a stand alone supplement.

Aside from the Silk Road analogue mentionned in the Horde, not really the Faerûn kept evolving without any mention of Kara-Tur other that 1 mention in one of the Living City supplement, LC1 I believe, of a group of retired advrnturer who open a tavern who went to the Far East snd has learned Jiujitsu (using OA martial arts rules). Same of the 2 or 3 OA post inclusion in the Realms. No mention of the Western land.

Spelljammer did more in this respect than the whole Forgotten Realms line.

No "cross-contamination" on the Faith level, Kara-Tur belief system simply have no place or mention of the Faerûnian gods nor any mention of the Weave. Their magic system is based on the elements and their Esoteric lore are geared that way.

The Path and the Way belief system made it into Wild Space, Post horde box set, they included Shoo silk and other oriental element via Aurora catalogue
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu May 10, 2018 1:17 am

I don't think Kara-Tur itself was ever intended to be set in the World of Greyhawk, but back when François Marcela-Froideval was going to be the author of Oriental Adventures, a section of the book was supposed to detail the "Oriental" lands of Oerth (see Dragon #102, page 36). That never came to pass, however. One Greyhawk module, Fate of Istus, does make reference to Kara-Tur, but it's not clear what world it's supposed to be on (Kara-Tur is connected to the Flanaess via a portal, so it could be any world).

Races of Faerun notes (page 108) that the Shou have established an embassy in Elversult. This was destroyed in 1373 DR (Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, page 45). In the 4e era, many Shou dwell in Thesk at the far western end of the Golden Way trade route and the nation of Nathlan on the Dragon Coast is ruled by the Shou. There's also a "Shou town" district in Marsember in Cormyr called Xiousing.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Boneguard wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:42 pm
The inclusion of Kara-Tur to the Realms rather than Greyhawk has little to no impact s it was pretty much a stand alone supplement.

Aside from the Silk Road analogue mentionned in the Horde, not really the Faerûn kept evolving without any mention of Kara-Tur other that 1 mention in one of the Living City supplement, LC1 I believe, of a group of retired advrnturer who open a tavern who went to the Far East snd has learned Jiujitsu (using OA martial arts rules). Same of the 2 or 3 OA post inclusion in the Realms. No mention of the Western land.
I have seen Kara-Tur mentioned in 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms products, but those mentions don't really let you know what is going on in the nations of Kara-Tur.
Boneguard wrote:
Spelljammer did more in this respect than the whole Forgotten Realms line.
Maybe I should be making a topic for that. ;)
Boneguard wrote:
No "cross-contamination" on the Faith level, Kara-Tur belief system simply have no place or mention of the Faerûnian gods nor any mention of the Weave. Their magic system is based on the elements and their Esoteric lore are geared that way.

The Path and the Way belief system made it into Wild Space, Post horde box set, they included Shoo silk and other oriental element via Aurora catalogue
I did see that. So, I know that means that the Kara-Tur relgions work throughout the entire Realmspace crystal sphere. I was looking for some sort of evidence that Priests/Clerics from Faerûn would regain spells in Kara-Tur.

I suppose that the Weave is really more of a philosophical construct than something that Faerûnian spellcaster interacts with directly. :?

It is a bit of a shame as I know that real-world Chinese people built gizmos that dropped balls into cups to show the direction of earthquakes. If anyone could build a "Weave detector" I would expect it to be one of the Kara-Tur cultures. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu May 10, 2018 7:48 pm

The main issue is that the Weave and Ao are concepts introduced later on in 2e, after the publication of the Kara-Tur boxed set, and no sources published after that detail Kara-Tur much at all. So there was no opportunity for Kara-Tur to acknowledge these concepts. Maztica and Al-Qadim don't mention them either.

Since Faerûn and Kara-Tur are in the same crystal sphere and the same planet, I can't imagine there would be any problem with divine spellcasters from one region being unable to regain their spells in another. There's no precedent for such a failure in any other campaign setting, so it'd be pure sadism on the part of a DM to introduce it.

Tonnichiwa
Orc

Post by Tonnichiwa » Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:54 pm
I did see that. So, I know that means that the Kara-Tur relgions work throughout the entire Realmspace crystal sphere. I was looking for some sort of evidence that Priests/Clerics from Faerûn would regain spells in Kara-Tur.
[/quote]

Maybe this will help. On page 137 of the AD&D Oriental Adventures book in the section titled "Gajin", in the fifth paragraph it states "There are, however, advantages. Firstly, a change in location does nothing to affect the abilities of the character. Those powers a character possessed in one land still apply here...."

Return to “Kara-Tur”