Mapping Maztica

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Mapping Maztica

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:06 am

One of my ongoing projects is to create an Inkscape map of Maztica. I using Inkscape for this because unlike with bitmap-based programs it is very easy to scale the map without scaling artifacts (such as aliasing) - and it is much easier to add new landmarks later on as well.

So far, I've recreated the coastlines and major rivers (and I've added a few minor rivers as well), and I've included both the "City of Gold" sub-map and parts of Lopango. Here is a bitmap of the current version (which is extremely large - I've designed this as an A0 poster map and exported it with 360 dpi), and here is the SVG (Scaleable Vector Graphics) version, which is editable in Inkscape.

While this map is primarily intended for my "Returned Maztica" project - and it will reflect that version of the setting, once I add specific locations to it - others should feel free to use this map or variants of this for their own projects, including DM Guild publications (as long as I get name credit).
Returned Maztica - a new vision for Maztica in the 5th Edition era of the Forgotten Realms! Learn how the continent has changed after invasions and dragonfire, and take part as the people of Maztica finally take their destinies into their own hands!

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Re: Mapping Maztica

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:54 am

I am continuing with my project, and what's striking me when looking at the original maps is that there are many, many mountain ranges with elevations above 10,000' (3,000 meters) - and quite a few with elevations above 15,000' (4,500 meters)! That's a lot higher than Mexico! Now, I could adjust the height map downwards... but I think I will just roll with it.

I will make sure that there are plenty of highland plateaus, though. I mean, real world Tenochtitlan/Mexico City is a bit above 2,000 meters, yet if you look at the region surrounding Nexal it looks like it lies somewhere below 2,000 feet (with elevations rising quickly to one of those 4,500+ meter summits).
Returned Maztica - a new vision for Maztica in the 5th Edition era of the Forgotten Realms! Learn how the continent has changed after invasions and dragonfire, and take part as the people of Maztica finally take their destinies into their own hands!

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:19 am

Maybe they are based more on the Andes, than the Central American mountains.

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:12 am

Well, I think Lopango is supposed to be sort-of the Andes.

But hey, this is a fantasy setting - so I am okay with mountain ranges being more fantastic. And there is a lot you can do with vast mountains in fantasy settings...

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:29 pm

Here is a preview of how I am doing the height lines. So far, I've recreated 2,500' height lines from the original Maztica map, and in the northern regions I've also started to add the 10,000' height lines.

My plan is to do height lines for every 2,500' of elevation (thus adding lines at 5,000', 7,500', and 12,500'). This will mean I will have to redraw many of the original 2,500' lines to make space for the "intermediate" lines - but that's okay, since many of those didn't make much sense anyway.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:10 am

Draft seems very promising :)

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 pm

If you want to use and modify the later map for your own purposes - including publications on the Dungeon Master's Guild - then I recommend trying out Inkscape, which is what I am using for this - it's an Open Source vector-based graphics program.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:24 am

Any chance you'd use Thorf's hexes to make a hex map?

I'd love to see how Maztica compares to Mystara.

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:47 am

Morfie wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:24 am
Any chance you'd use Thorf's hexes to make a hex map?

I'd love to see how Maztica compares to Mystara.
Building a dedicated hex map of Maztica from the ground up is not high among my priorities.

However, adding a hex grid overlay is almost trivially easy with Inkscape - the work of less than 10 minutes.

(And that goes for any map, not just this one.)

Return to “Maztica”