I have some questions on City of Gold rogue kits...

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
thorr-kan
Ogre

I have some questions on City of Gold rogue kits...

Post by thorr-kan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:45 pm

Rogue kits or subclasses?

The Character Creation appendix has the following section in the general kit overviews:
"SKILL PROGRESSION: This entry is included for rogue kits only. It determines how many discretionary points each kit allows the character. Because the Azuposi do not have locks, mechanical traps, pockets, or written language, rogues have only the following skills (equivalent to a thief’s): hear noise, hide in shadows, move silently, and climb walls. As with thieves, only half the discretionary points gained with a level can be used on any one skill."

The Rogue Kits section says:
"Two things are peculiar about Azuposi culture: First, they tend to live in very small communities, and second, they have only a rudimentary sense of the meaning of private property. This combination makes the possibility of widespread professional thievery (the mainstay of the AD&Dfi game rogue class) highly unlikely.
"But the Azuposi communities do have their roguish members: clowns (koyemshis), traders, and fetishists. These are the only types
of rogues to be found in the Azuposi society."

None of the kits specifically call out anything but rogue. They significantly change the thief's skills and points for those skills. So are they classes described as kits, like the priest kits, or are they kits that are available to an rogue (OK, base assumption would be thief or bard)?

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Re: I have some questions on City of Gold rogue kits...

Post by Boneguard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:24 am

That's a problem with the whole Maztica line, they present kits (for rogues and fighters) that really could work as well, if not better, as a subclass.

I'm not sure about the official answer, but I've always used them as subclass and used the Paladin/Ranger or Bard XP chart and that works pretty well.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Return to “Maztica”