[K'aacea]

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
cptmorgan
Goblin

[K'aacea]

Post by cptmorgan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:20 pm

An island chain that Maztican pulled from Abeir back to Toril. It's basically a Caribbean equivalent.

I've been working on a bunch of Maztican stuff for a while. So thought I'd share. Maybe I'll get around to putting it up on DMguild.

Here's map of K'aacea and Maztica.
https://imgur.com/8nLMgzY
Here's one of the first maps I made, zoomed in, and numbered.
https://imgur.com/undefined

I've named almost all of the islands, and figured out short encounters and scenarios for each. Like one has nemean lion, another has a centaur knight stranded and crazy who's basically Don Quixote, island stuck in time loop, big necrobotany themed dungeon pyramid, etc.

I tried my best to keep it kosher with Maztica Alive. Some changes include less emphasis on different gods between Lopango and Maztica (I only have Intiri as an addition). Also, Lopango goes with Maztica to Abeir and then back. Obviously K'aacea is a new addition. I have seen very little on Lopango, so I really focused on them and how they dealt without having Intiri to guide them, how human emperors stepped up, kept the empire together through strength of arms and expansionism.

The islands are divided between three regions; west, central, and east.
West are settled by Jigeke and has most contact with Payiti in Maxal.
The Jigeke are the consummate sailors. They have served the naval needs of western K’aacea for hundreds of years. They are most comfortable on their boats and near the sea. In fact, it's been reported that Jigeke who spend too much time inland and away from the sea develop a wasting sickness that can only be cured by the smell of salt on the air. This was reported by an Calimshan medical examiner, so it’s more than apocryphal.
Over the years, they have developed a strong relationship with the dragonborn and kobolds of K’aacea, trading with and transporting them between their towns and ports of industry. Their strongest friendship lies with the mer, the only being in K’aacea who can say to love the sea more. The mer ensure safe passage for Jigeke ships, warding off sharks and other predators of the sea, while the Jigeke offer the bounty and crafts of the land.
It is not uncommon for a Jigeke’s love of the sea to transfer to a sentient embodiment. Thus, it is not unheard-of for a union between a mer and a Jigeke, a joining that it celebrated by both cultures.
More than anything, the Jigeke are a friendly and open people.

Central is settled by dragonborn and 'civilized' kobold, as well as a vicious draconian known as Vrakzara, extremely territorial draconians that fly down to attack passing ships.
Vrakzara Fighter
https://imgur.com/oli3VIq

The eastern large islands and the tecopi archipelago are crawling with the vestiges of a cursed civilization. The natives are called Awa, and have specialized in radiant magic in their fight against the undead called the kulkani.
"Most of the information that we have of the abominations that haunt the Tecopi Archepelago come from the Awá that have the misfortune to share the island chain with them.
The Awá call them kulkani. They are an abyssal combination of bone, stone, and flesh. They exist in some kind of organized society with an established hierarch, and perform religious rites of some sort. Awá scouts report that every now and then, one of their Callers will bring surrounding kulkani together into one of their ancient temples. The scouts report kneeling, supplication to stone idols, and arcane rites performed by their bonebinders and stoneshapers. And yet, no amount of intelligence or language has ever been recorded." The undead infest the ancient ruins (maya equivalent) scattered around K'aacea.
This is the temple walker, a base unit.
https://imgur.com/V4YtK7n
Kulkani Bonebinder
https://imgur.com/BvsArRx
I've also fleshed out the Natican into a fullblown empire. Kind of decolonized the incas, so the major imperial power in K'aacea is the Naticans (stole an Amnian fleet during Spellplague while Cordellians couldn't use magic to fight back), and they're going against the Amnians and the Lord's Alliance and Faeurn merchant guilds, as well as pirates (cause it's the Caribbean).

In addition really fleshed out katashaka jungle orcs in Lopango, came up with seven units, and gave supay gnome and wild halflings statblocks. I really like the jungle orcs, warband of sorcererous orcs. They're not dark and evil; they use illusions and magic missiles... they're just hairy wizards.
Sorcerer
https://imgur.com/i2rKYMD
and grunt
https://imgur.com/QcihlN5

Don't know if I did images correctly, but thoughts?

Also, its caribbean so I had to do a proper chickcharnee page.
https://imgur.com/undefined
I've been working on a bestiary for any creature, humanoid or not, that you could run into in K'aacea or surrounding lands. It includes most of the stuff from mastican bestiary and true world bestiary (with credits obvs, and minus tlincalli stuff cause I've never been fan of Underworld), in addition to some DMG, volo, etc plus a bunch of homebrew. Its approaching 400 pages, so don't know when that will ever be released (currently obsessed with homebrewing creatures that can double as familiars, like this creature, which is actually a mesoamerican myth.
The Carbuncle
https://imgur.com/c2xqUQs

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: [K'aacea]

Post by Seethyr » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:49 am

Wow! To say the very very least I am following this with intense interest! I am also honored that you are building on "established" lore :lol: . If I wasn't so busy with Anchorome at the moment I would attempt an update of the campaign guide at the very least. I made most of those products when I had less experience than I have now, and there is a lot I would do differently. For one, I'm kind of bummed that the tabaxi were updated to 5e after the campaign guide - who'd of thought they would get official treatment?

Please, keep us updated!
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

cptmorgan
Goblin

Post by cptmorgan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:29 am

From the personal journal of Kahna Kapaq I, DR 1384, first Emperor of the Naticans:

We’ve begun counting time as the days since Steelsky; it’s been twenty. I feel I can be honest here, to which I admit that I am somewhat surprised by how much my power was only from an endorsement by Intiri. The sun priests have finally admitted that Intiri left on the day of Steelsky, along with all of our gods. The traitorous priests used the occasion to blame the entire mess on Teotl, and the hishna shapers, and on me. They were fine with my campaigns when it was showering them in the silver. It’s bad enough that our sun god is gone, they now denounce me and the empire. Intiri founded this empire for this very reason; that we would be strong when he wasn’t around. And they want to tear it down. It’s a powergrab, nothing more. I’ve seen it in their eyes, the way they look when Intiri praises my city, when we build temples to his glory to rival and surpass Pichu Umu. They are jealous; weak. But they are influential, and I can’t have my own priests and healers proselytize against me.

Thus, I’ve begun raising forces to bring Umu to heel. Though I fear Cuzcalac is not far behind; envious that the cultural and economic power has shifted to my city. Jealousy and greed and stupidity, that is what is all around me. It is only in these dark days that it becomes clear that I’ve always been surrounded. It was only Intiri that shielded me, left me complacent.

No more. We march in tendays time. I was given this empire by the solar aspect himself to keep and to hold, and I will hold it.

All of it.

cptmorgan
Goblin

Post by cptmorgan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:54 am

Natican Rebellion.
A month after the Day of Steelsky, Kahna calls the sun priests’ bluff and marches on Pichu Umu. When they see his army arrayed against the defenseless city, they surrender, and strike a deal with him. They will support the Natican Empire and his divine right to rule, as long as Pichu Umu remains the spiritual center for the Natican people. What this really entailed was Kahna promising to pay for and build magnificent palaces for the sun priests in exchange for their support. Just as Kahna was marching on Umu, Cuzcalac rebelled, declaring itself the capital of a Western Natican Empire. Fearful of a protracted civil war, Kahan stayed in Pichu Umu for another six months consolidating his army, looking for an opportunity for a single lethal strike. He waited for Cuzcalac to bring the fight to him, just as he did with the Amnians. It was another year before the Cuzcalac and Teotl armies met, on the fiery slopes of the active volcano, Urgtopaxi. It was a clash of generations, of the new versus the old. The Cuzcalac army was larger, but Kahna had fully integrated hishna into his. The Battle of Urqtopaxi was a resounding success for Teotl, and Kahna brought Cuzcalac under his wing. After the battle, Apu Roca sent thirty plumazotls as a sign of their fealty to the Natican Empire, and to ward off any reprisals for supporting Cuzcalac. He spent the rest of his life solidifying control over Tlaxaca and putting down various rebellions, preventing Natica from falling into chaos in the wake of the Spellplague like the rest of Maztica. When he passed, his rulership went to his oldest daughter Citlalmina.

Citlalmina proclaimed that the Naticans were blessed by the gods to rule over all lands and sea, and that she now ruled as Empress, Citlalmina Kapaq Imperia, with Teotl as her capital. She encouraged any who would challenge her to step forth, to engage her in the single combat ritual of Necalli. Two accepted her challenge. One, Usa Tayta, was a son of one of the kamaquks that Kahna Kapaq slew in his conquest of Cuzcalac. Rather than avenge his family through assassination or rebellion, honor dictated he wait for Necalli. Citlalmina ended his quest for vengeance quickly, but honorably, killing him in single combat. She honored his family and his soul by interring him in the same temple as her father. The second challenger was a Cordellian legionnaire from Helmsport, who traveled south to see this new empire emerging from the jungles, appalled that Zaltec had seduced another rising power. Citlalmina refused to grant the honorable rite of Necalli to an outsider, and turned him away.

Rapid Expansion.
Citlalmina used the Amnian fleet taken in the Battle of Tlaxacan Forest to take the Brown Sisters and Coxamult, and Tlaxacan silver to pay Payiti shipwrights to build up her nascent navy to rival the aging Cordellian fleet. All the while, Teotl Kapaq Imperia blossomed, numbering close to one million inhabitants by the time of the Second Sundering. Teotl expanded rapidly but orderly, the layout of their prangs, pyramids, roads and canals in accordance with the traditional symbols and patterns of their sun priests. The people grew to live without the gods. They had new figures to worship, an empress, her son, a great city. They sang new myths about the soldiers waging war against the jungle orcs, as Citlalmina consolidated the entire Lopangan mountain ranges, and pushed deep into the continent, reaching to the First Bend of the Lopangan River.

Heavy is the Crown.
Citlalmina’s ambition knew no bounds. She had a cult of personality now, but the Natican advance had been stalled by the cayma of the river basin, and she feared she would lose the support of the people. She needed something big, an achievement that would cement her in the heavens. Even the Naticans knew of the fabled city of Nexal, of the Night of Wailing, and the damage wrought by the colonialists. Taking the ancient city of the Mazticans back from the horde of ogres and orcs that had infested the city for decades in the name of Intiri would be a mythical achievement. She raised an army of fourty thousand Naticans and her son, Kahna II, marched them from the Gulf of Qotal to Mt. Zlatal. At Cordotl, Kahna II met a force of five thousand cavaliers from the Gulf of Cordell.

The Gulf had not fared well during the Spellplague. Much of the power of the colonialists flowed from their war mages and clerics of Helm. Faerunian magic was now unreliable at best, lethal at worst, and the clerics were cut off from their patron. Hishna and pluma magics remained intact (theorized due to being connected to the dead goddess Maztica and the ‘world’s bones’), so the Mazticans of Payit and Pezelac were growing restless under the Amnians. Word then reached the Cordellians of an army besieging Nexal. Amidst the chaos and hopelessness of a godless world, someone was attempting greatness; comleting acts worthy of song. Many young Cordellians, brough up on songs and tales of Baldur, took up arms to join the epic battle.

The combined armies sieged Nexal for three years. Books could and are being written on the Second Siege of Nexal and the dozens of battles and skirmishes that were fought between a combined Natican and Cordellian army and the Night Hordes of Nexal. However, they not break the jagres and their seemingly endless horde of orcs. Citlalmina sent word with reinforcements that it appeared that the Gulf of Cordell was an easier target. Kahna II was sad to end the siege. He had grown close to many of the Cordellians during his time. But he obeyed his mother and empress. He gave due word to his Cordellian allies and they withdrew out of Nexal.

The Red Plains of Patul.
Outside of Patul, eighty thousand Naticans were met by a combined Payit, Amnian and Cordellian alliance of twenty thousand. Kahnitli readied himself to lead his armies to victory when he was approached by a young woman called Thakyra. She was a priestess of Eha, goddess of the wind. She snuck into the Natican camp and approached the emperor’s son with no fear, to counsel him against war. She told him that though the gods no longer answered prayers, they still looked down on them, and still judged their actions. Slaughtering thousands of True Worlders would be dishonorable. She counseled that the Cordellians fighting him are all young; they were born on Maztican just as he was. She said that he should decide the battle by Necalli, single combat. Kahnitli knew that she spoke both wisely and truly. He had fought with the Cordellians, he knew them to be honorable True Worlders. So he sent riders to parley with the Gulf camp.

Instead of building a one thousand step Necalli as they once did a thousand years ago, Kahnitli met the Cordellian champion at the peak of nearby Mt. Popol. They nominated a wizened, but hardened man, the same legionnaire who challenged his mother all those years before: Rogral Holyeyes. As the legends go, the sparring went on for three days and three nights, until Kahna finally disarmed Rogral and slew him. So moved by the prowess produced by the Cordellians, Kahna disobeyed his mother, halted the invasion, and returned to Natica. They say as punishment for his disobedience, he could not Teotl after that. The monks of Eha were forever hailed as peacemakers and saviors to the free cities of northern Maztica. Mt. Popol was turned into a temple for a new order of monks and to all those who spread harmony in a discordious world, a symbol of peace and the honor of the True World.

Citlalmina eventually abdicated the throne to her son, Kahna II, and he was finally able to leave the city. Kahna II was more worldly than his predecessors, having traveled widely on military missions. He developed regular contact with K’aacea and invested more heavily in the Natican navy. He normalized relations with Kolan and the Gulf of Cordell, and standardized trade routes between the gulf, Maxal, Aujirol, and Teotl.

Now, Citlalmina II, great great granddaughter of Kahna Kapaq, sits in Teotl Kapaq Imperia, presiding over 1.2 million inhabitants and an empire of another 20 million.

K’aacea
K’aacea is a large formerly-Abeiran archipelago. My sailor friends tell me the length from Ware Motere to Gerákia Anevaínoun, on the far eastern end of the Tecopí Archipelago, is roughly four times the distance from Baldur’s Gate to Neverwinter. The islands of K’aacea were formed millenia ago as part of a series of massive volcanic eruptions. Many of the larger islands are the accretions formed by hundred year long magma flows. The rest are sediment build up over limestone produced by the coral reefs that blanket much of the sea floor. The climate is tropical, and temperate at higher altitudes.

The first people of the K’aacean Sea were the Sea Peoples, an enigmatic civilization that built expansive cities, palaces, and tombs only to suddenly disappear. The indigenous who live in the former lands of the Sea Peoples do not know what occurred to their predecessors, and modern scholars are still in the dark. The lack of knowledge about the Sea Peoples is due to the fact that most of their most expansive ruins, on Selianakos and Lanme Thalassa, are haunted by the monsters known as the Kulkani, hulking beasts made of stone and bone that skulk the ruins of the Sea Peoples. The indigenous Awá, who have situated themselves on the shores and fringes of Sea Peoples remnants, say that the Kulkani are the Sea Peoples themselves, cursed for breaking a River Oath. Whether this is just a story they tell their children to teach them the dangers of lying is still being debated by major historians. In any case, besides Laerakond, K’aacea holds the only examples of Abeiran arcitecture, history, and ancient culture in Toril, making it ripe for entrepreneurial anthropologists and archeologists.

After the collapse of the Sea Peoples empire, nomadic seafaring humans began percolating into the islands. The similar creation myths of the Jigeke and Awa tell us that they came from a common ancestor, and at some point, separated into two tribes. The Jigeke spread through the western islands, the Awa took the east.

About three centuries before the Spellplague, draconic beings began filtering in from the north, settling in the no man’s land that existed between the Jigeke and Awá. The Jigeke, always outgoing, became quick friends with these dragonborn and their kobold allies. Together they founded the city of Aujirol. The dragonborn and their kobold allies found a natural place in the mountains and mines of K’aacea.

The draconian Vrakzara however were xenophobic and fanatical dragon worshippers. After the second sundering, they became violently so, seeing their expulsion from Abeir as punishment for the misdeeds of the ‘lesser’ lifeforms around them. They withdrew even further into their island, and became even more deadly and uncompromising in their dealings with intruders.

The Awá, since their arrival in K’aacea, have focused on taking the Tecopi Archepelago from the kulkani. Their society is centered around fighting the undead, creating a nation of hardened and wary warriors wielding powerful warding totems and radiance magics. They expend most of their energy training and sending warbands into kulkani territory. The Spellplaque hit them incredibly hard, cancelling out their protective wards and magics, allowing the undead to decimate their civilization. They have not given up, however, and continue to war with the kulkani from San Danje. They do not look kindly on the other creatures that have made a home in Tecopi, these Natican and Faerunian interlopers. They see all of the islands as theirs by right of the hundreds of years of blood that they've spilt trying to win them. They wield deadly radiant magics and abhor necromancy and the undead above all else.

Something to the West.
For hundreds of years, it was a rite of passage for young Jigeke to build their own canoe and head west into the endless ocean beyond. It was a test of skill to see how far you could go and still find your way home. The record was held by a young woman named Ana Kota, who left one windswept morning, her boat low in the water underneath her rations, and did not return for fifty seven days. Not once did she come upon another landform. So it came as an earth-shattering surprise when one day, the massive continent of Maztica appeared not three days row off Ware Motere.

Lucky for the Maxal fisherman who stumbled upon the islands now suddenly off his doorstep, the Jigeke are an amiable and naturally inquisitive people. The first contact between a Toril Maztican and an Abeir K’aacean consisted of a warm hug, and a trade; a fish for a coconut. Thus began one of the most friendly cross-planet relationships the multiverse has ever seen. The Jigeke have developed a close trading relationship with the Mazticans of Far Payit, learning the passageways of the Ocultan better than the Payit ever had. The Natican Empire for its part, have left the Jigeke and their islands alone, focusing instead on the strategic importance of Aujirol and on claiming uninhabited islands throughout K’aacea.

Mayus
There are two main thoroughfares in K’aacea. Ships traveling to and from Zakhara, Katashaka, and southern Lopango, making their way to the ports of Maztica, hug the coast of Lopango. They first pass through Kakara Mayu, a deep straight between the crescent island of Kakara and Lopango. They then pass through Ch’unka Mayu, the Crowded Passage. It is said a hundred ships pass through this passage every day, from all over the world. Many stop off in Aujirol to resupply before continuing into the Sea of Azul or up Maztica to the Gulf of Cordell. Natican ships, though outside their nominal jurisdiction, regularly patrol.

There are several other notable mayus. Smuggler’s Run is so called because it is a thin and dangerous passage between two islands. Bandit ships with skilled captains often use it to lose their pursuers. Crabman’s Way between Xiiva (33) and Kepesk (24) is so called for the eponymous crabmen. The wide straight between Wata Hatun and Kepesk is called the Smoketrail since between the Natican, dragonborn, and Vrakzara, you’re never far from something on fire.

Philosophies of K’aacea
Qispy mayu - River Code
It is unknown why the cultural laws of the K’aacean island chains are called river codes. It is thought that in ancient tongues of the Sea Peoples, perhaps the word for river did not differentiate between different bodies of water, thus the many channels and straits of K’aacea are like many interconnected riverways. In any case, the laws have been around since the Sea Peoples, marked in obelisks in various ruins. It was passed down to the Awá and Jigeke that came after the collapse of their empire and was adopted by the draconic that settled the island later. All who live and work in K’aacea are presumed to be bound by them. The Vrakzara are the only indigenous that do not hold to the River Codes, namely Float Any River, as they regularly accost anyone that enters territory they deem theirs.

Say what you will
Basic freedom of speech. K’aacea is a land with a rich oral tradition, where bards are celebrated and speaking truth to power is considered a basic right.

Float any River
Cannot block traffic on land or sea. Tolls are illegal, and most tariffs are frowned upon (as it is difficult to enforce them without barring those who do not pay from the city). Most cities make up for the lost revenue by charging various fees, specifically docking fees based on cargo. The lack of tariffs makes K'aacea a center of free trade in the Trackless Sea, and huge amounts of money pass hands along its many docks and beaches.

Cursed be the Oathbreakers
To “swear by the tides” is a stronger oath than any other you can give in K’aacea. To break such an oath gives leave to any K’aacean to persecute. It’s considered an honor to die attempting to keep a River Oath. In K’aacea, there is a specific type of bounty hunter called Oathkeepers, who are contracted to hunt down and kill any who break oaths. Contracts for oathkeepers can be found in most settlements in K’aacea; the amount of contracts has grown since the Second Sundering, as the newcomers to the isles have taken the oath lightly, not privy to how seriously it is for the indigenous. Anyone can take on these bounty hunter missions.

Slavery is an Abomination
Self-explanatory. This code puts K’aacea at odds naturally with the Portu slavers. A lot of Zakharan and Lopango escaped slaves make their home in K’aacea.

You have what you Hold
There is a moral distinction between stealing and robbery. Anything on your person is considered yours, and should not be stolen. Anything in vaults or left unattended is mostly up for grabs, and can be robbed. This does not mean that thieves that steal are not punished by local authorities, but that there is no moral indignation to it. In fact, many K’aacean myths and local folktales are about famous thieves, celebrating their ingenuity and guile. Many K’aacean folk heroes are tomb raiders who made their name in the various Sea Peoples mazes and tombs that dot the archipelago. The profession is experiencing a boom of late, as treasure laden ships pass through K’aacea everyday. The coffers of merchants grow by the hour, left unattended as their owners spend their time being entertained by island life.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:44 pm

I'm going to be sticking with the time-period from 2nd Edition Spelljammer (to maintain compatibility with Realmspace and the rest of the Spelljammer universe, so I'm not sure how I could use this, but it sounds like a super-creative way to get the best out of Maztica and Returned Abeir!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

cptmorgan
Goblin

Post by cptmorgan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Survey says spelljammer might be the next big Wizards book for 5e. I know a lot of people have been clamoring for it. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the time period, or if they even connect it to Toril and Forgotten realms (as they’ve seemed wont to do in 5e)

cptmorgan
Goblin

Post by cptmorgan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Survey says spelljammer might be the next big Wizards book for 5e. I know a lot of people have been clamoring for it. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the time period, or if they even connect it to Toril and Forgotten realms (as they’ve seemed wont to do in 5e)

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:12 pm

This is really making me want to update and consolidate the Maztica Alive campaign. They are due, and with your lore, I can see easy ways to integrate better with only the slightest changes.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:18 pm

cptmorgan wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:05 pm
Were survey results shared recently that indicated this? Do you happen to have a URL handy?

cptmorgan
Goblin

Post by cptmorgan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:43 pm

Yeah sorry not a real survey. Just this.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/03 ... book-2019/
Though it turned out the campagin was Aberron. But still, the designers have been thinking about it within 5e context.

Return to “Maztica”