[Anchorome] Glacier Project

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Seethyr
Couatl

[Anchorome] Glacier Project

Post by Seethyr »

The Great Glacier was a unique book in 2e that introduced the Ulutiuns to the Forgotten Realms. Yes, they were influenced heavily by the real world Eskimos, but the book included some really neat concepts like the Kapok (walrus-dogs), fairy ice, the tirichik, etc.

Frostburn from the 3.5 era wasn’t world specific but it added other creative ideas like blue ice (hard as steel) and rimefire.

Canonically, the northern portion of Anchorome is a cold place where the Pasocada Elves originated. I’m thinking my next project might include all of these elements into one. Essentially a 5e update to Frostburn but set on one specific glacier. I’ll be starting it tonight and I really haven’t figured out a good name yet. I’ll post here as it’s updated.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Louis_bowwow
Orc

Re: [Anchorome] Glacier Project

Post by Louis_bowwow »

This sounds fantastic. I loved all of the “terrain” books from 3e. There were so many great ideas that could be raided. The Frost Folk or Marzanna would make for great antagonists. The various races are only touched upon, but could easily be fleshed out and there are some great deities that are introduced. I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Louis_bowwow wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:12 am
This sounds fantastic. I loved all of the “terrain” books from 3e. There were so many great ideas that could be raided. The Frost Folk or Marzanna would make for great antagonists. The various races are only touched upon, but could easily be fleshed out and there are some great deities that are introduced. I can’t wait to see what you come up with.
I did too! I'm really starting to miss the production of niche settings and I'm hopeful that they aren't gone forever outside of fanmade materials.

I went back and forth on the Frost Folk and Marzanna. For the frost folk, I am trying to avoid the Game of Thrones feel only because I'm afraid of it being overdone. I went with the snow goblins and urskans instead, with Cryonax being the major antagonist and snow elves the protagonist.
Last edited by Seethyr on Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Louis_bowwow
Orc

Post by Louis_bowwow »

This looks pretty good. These mini regional sourcebooks are awesome. This way you can slowly populate the continent. Keep up the great work. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Louis_bowwow wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:55 am
This looks pretty good. These mini regional sourcebooks are awesome. This way you can slowly populate the continent. Keep up the great work. Can’t wait to see the finished product.
I love the concept because it lets you go nuts with creation, but still remain part of the Realms. I'm surprised more don't do it. A glacier especially is easy to insulate from the rest of the Realms except when you want it to get involved. Here is a draft of the historical timeline.

History

The following timeline gives an accounting of dates important in the long history of Blacktoe Glacier. These events are known by the wiser urskans and some of the eldest snow elves, but others seem to care little. Prior to these dates there are origin stories for the urskans and the snow goblins, but these stories are often conflicting and don't have a set date.

The Blacktoe timeline begins circa -14,000 DR, a few thousand years before the Crown Wars pit elf against elf elsewhere in the world. At the time, Blacktoe Glacier was even further north, and until the elves arrived there was little knowledge of what occurred in the larger world.

c. -14,000 DR

Having grown populous because of large herds of prey, the urskan tribes organize and form a council of tribes.

c. -13,900 DR

The urskan council starts to form a kingdom and selects a monarch among the chieftains known as a brrarum. The brrarum’s word is considered law which only those willing to challenge for rulership dare question.

c. -11,500 DR

The leadership of Brrarum Koarg is questioned by his council as the herds of reindeer thin and food availability declines.

-11,412 DR

A renegade sect of gold elves flees the Crown Wars and gets as far from the fighting as possible, hiding out in the distant and unknown land which they call Wootenai.

These gold elves adapt quickly by making a pact with a renegade deity of the elves named Tarsellis Meunniduin who helps them survive the frigid temperatures. Tarsellis himself sets foot on the glacier and helps create Reluvethel Holamoira, the most populous center of snow elven culture to this day.

c. -6,000 DR

Perhaps in response to the urskan expansion and the resultant shrinking of reindeer herds, fey beings known as shatjan appear among them and fight off urskan raiders. The shatjan are believed to be led by the Reindeer (or Caribou) Lord, a powerful animal spirit.

c. -5,900 DR

The urskans cannot access their primary food source easily anymore and many turn to the consumption of elven flesh. Many urskans choose to suffer rather than resort to this level of cannibalism but they are in the minority.

-5,880 DR

The snow elves go to war with the urskans and discover that the former Berrarum Kaorg has become a powerful undead creature similar to a lich.

The undead urskan monarch intended to pass his undead status onto the rest of the urskans. Kaorg believes undeath is a viable alternative to starvation, and many choose to become makurskan or “dark bears.”

The elves grow desperate in the war and turn to elemental forces to aid them.

-5790 DR

Cryonax, an archomental of evil, promises the elves victory should they perform an act of high magic to summon him to Toril from his planar home.

-5764 DR

Cryonax is summoned to the mountains of Keanorin in a blast of cold too extreme for normal creatures to endure. The archomental initially assists the elves against the urskans as promised, understanding that the bear folk are the greatest threat to his dominance over surrounding lands.

-5655 DR

The urskan kingdom is shattered by elementals and snow elves and the power of the makurskan is shattered. The bear folk return to nomadic tribes and their numbers are greatly reduced. Cryonax is arrogant, but not stupid, and he bides his time without initially betraying the elves.

c. -5000 DR

The intense cold of Cryonax’s frozen kingdom expands outwards from the Keanorin mountains and his elementals displace tribes of snow goblins that once remained hidden in mountain caves.

The snow goblins come into conflict with the snow elves.

-4,580 DR

Cryonax establishes a permanent portal to the Frostfell region of the elemental planes and imports greater numbers of evil elemental creatures. His attention becomes divided elsewhere in the multiverse, and his plans for Toril stall for a time. He is not seen in Wootenai for thousands of years, though the elementals remain.

-3300 DR

Incessant snow goblin raids, frequent battles with urskan tribes, occasional conflict with shatjan, and food scarcity takes its toll on the snow elves. Some attempt to move onwards towards the Keanorin mountain range, but find it no more hospitable. After many millenia, the snow elves finally admit that the elemental creatures are no allies.

Cryonax briefly returns and creates a creature (or some say, has a child) known as a shivhad which quickly devours any who encounter it. Despite Cryonax’s absence from the world, his elementals reign unopposed.

-2220 DR

Reindeer bereft of shatjan protectors appear seasonally in the south most portion of the glacier far from urskan lands but close to the elves.

The caribou are plentiful but head south during winter months when they are needed the most. A charismatic snow elf shaman named Wahnaton convinces hundred of snow elves to follow the herd south beyond the glacier. These elves continue further south than initially planned and become the stock from which the Pasocada elves come.

c. -400 DR

Cryonax returns for a century and spends a great amount of time experimenting on new life forms. One of his creations is a dragon-centipede hybrid known as the tirichik that escapes into the wilds. Eventually, these creatures find naturally occurring portals to elsewhere which are later discovered to lead directly to Faerûn’s Great Glacier. The portals are two-way and found at the bottoms of deep crevasses. Packs of dog like walruses known as kapok enter Wootenai from the other side.

c. 100 DR

The snow elves discover the kapok and domesticate the loyal creatures. Strange practitioners of the art known as anagakok appear among the snow elves and gain as much respect as the spirit shamans.

560 DR

Hags known as marzanna arrive on Wootenai through Cryonax’s portal and make life even more difficult for the snow elves and urskan. Other threats appear that were once unknown, such as yeti, zeuglodons, and malysnips. Elven dominance shrinks further, though Reluvethel Holamoira remains strong.

615 DR

Anagakok, clerics and shaman construct a magical structure very similar to a mythal around Reluvethel Holamoira. The elves do not change the name of their cultural center, but the rare outsider who knows of its existence begin to call it Myth Reluvethel. It is about this time that the inhabitants start to use Blacktoe for the glacier in addition to the elven formal name of Wootenai.

1385 DR Year of Blue Fire

Magic goes haywire as the Weave is torn asunder ushering in the Blue Breath of Change. Already beleaguered, the snow elves lose contact with their primary deity Tarsellis and a century of famine ensues on the unknown world of Abeir. Along with the rest of Anchôromé, Wootenai Glacier is exiled to this godless land.

c. 1400 DR (on Abeir)

Mostly due to a cessation of hostilities with the urskan, the snow elves manage to eke out a bleak, but continual existence while on Abeir. Cryonax is nowhere to be found, but his shivhad still remains a major threat. Unbeknown to the snow elves, this terrible creature actually fights off a number of invading white dragons who might have otherwise wiped out the elves.

1434 DR (on Abeir)

The urskans attempt to root out the last vestiges of Kaorg’s legacy and the tribes hunt down rumors of remaining makurskan. Kaorg has never found and some makurskan are believed to still exist in the depths of glacial caves.

1485 DR

The Sundering arrives without much fanfare on Wootenai. The long memories and lifespans of the snow elves help them reconnect with their god Tarsellis relatively quickly.

Alliances are forged with the shatjan against elemental creatures who stray from the Keanorin mountains and life returns to a more simple struggle against nature for the most part. Rumors abound however, that Cryonax has returned to Blacktoe Glacier. If these rumors are true, his intentions are not likely to be good for the world.

1490 DR

A new time of ascendancy was due the urskan but they unfortunately become embroiled in conflicts with selkie from the northern waters. The status quo remains to this day, but there is hope that a new brrarum will arise in the coming years.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Here is a WIP that is somewhat edited. It does represent the completion of the lore, however.

wip removed for later update

For the remainder of the book, I will need to update a dozen or so creatures (shatjan, shivhad, marzanna, etc.), put in a new class or subclass (the anagakok), races (urskans and snow elves) and some magic items and spells.
Last edited by Seethyr on Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Louis_bowwow
Orc

Post by Louis_bowwow »

This looks great. It reminds me of the regional sourcebooks of Faerun that they released back in the 2e days. I’m intrigued by the makurskans. They sound like a great ancient threat that could come back to haunt the glacier.

Nate

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Louis_bowwow wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:40 am
This looks great. It reminds me of the regional sourcebooks of Faerun that they released back in the 2e days. I’m intrigued by the makurskans. They sound like a great ancient threat that could come back to haunt the glacier.

Nate
Glad you like it! I always trust your judgment and I'm trying to include a bit about the selkies you brought up in your book about the darfellans. Figured they'd be great enemies for the urskans.

Here's the latest update with pretty much all of the lore portion done. Now for the task of writing up game stats (classes, races, magic, monsters) which is usually my least favorite part.

<wip removed for later version>
Last edited by Seethyr on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Here is the final WIP. All that is left is editing, credits and monsters.

ANS3 Blacktoe Glacier WIP 2-24-20

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Updating the WIP one last time. Sorry!

I am about a week from completion. This project took on a life of its own.

ANS3 Blacktoe Glacier WIP 3-11-20

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Louis_bowwow
Orc

Post by Louis_bowwow »

Finally got a chance to flip through this (I was having issues with it loading on my iPad). It looks great. I can’t wait to pick up the finished product. I really like the makurskans. Very original. This book looks like a good update of Frostburn and a great addition to Anchorome. Keep up the good work.

Nate

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Louis_bowwow wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:01 pm
Finally got a chance to flip through this (I was having issues with it loading on my iPad). It looks great. I can’t wait to pick up the finished product. I really like the makurskans. Very original. This book looks like a good update of Frostburn and a great addition to Anchorome. Keep up the good work.

Nate

Thank you! Glad you like it. I actually put it up on dms and people are having issues with it loading as well. I have someone helping me with it now. I’ll post an update when it’s good to go.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Return to “Maztica”