Turquoise Dragon [Pasocada Basin]

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Seethyr
Couatl

Turquoise Dragon [Pasocada Basin]

Post by Seethyr »

I’m working on a small article introducing a new species of gem dragon called a turquoise dragon. Of all things my six year old randomly stated “a dragon would look really pretty if it’s skin [scales, darling, scales] were made of turquoise” and I didn’t want to let the concept go to waste.

It will have three parts to it. First, a background for their introduction unique to Anchorome in the Pasocada Basin, then statistics for all four age categories, and finally some more recent news, rumors, adventure ideas, etc.

So far I’m done with the background which I’ll admit is kind of convoluted, but will make sense if you’ve read other books on Anchorome.

The Pasocada Basin is the southwest American analogue with its own version of the Anasazi (creatively known as the Azuposi - sorry that’s not my doing!).

In a nutshell the Ancient Ones (a prehistoric nation of human sorcerers) attempted to subjugate the Mighty spirit Hli’Akwa (a canon spirit of turquoise, protection and magic) in order to use his power in a war against the aearee or their aarakocra descendants.

The Ancient Ones used an inordinate amount of micha (the magical dust sacred to spirits of the Pasocada Basin, again canonical) to entrap the Mighty spirit. Instead of relinquishing his power and accepting enslavement, Hli’Akwa instead chose to release his divinity which infused the golden micha turning it sky blue.

The micha leached back into the Dunobo spring where it turned the waters of the Pasocada Basin blue for many seasons. Where the waters leached into the rock great veins of turquoise formed. This is why today the Pasocada Basin has such copious amounts of the semiprecious stone.

The waters also leached into an ancient cavern where abandoned eggs of the dragons from the long past aearee/dragon wars lay unhatched. The transformative power unleashed bred the new species.

Any thoughts? Comments? I’m enjoying writing this, though it’s short. My daughter is super excited that it was “her idea!”
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: Turquoise Dragon [Pasocada Basin]

Post by Seethyr »

After the stats are published, one of my Adventure hooks will likely have something to do with interest stemming from Sardior the Ruby Dragon. He’s simply not used enough in the Realms.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Cromstar
Ogre

Post by Cromstar »

Seethyr wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:17 pm
After the stats are published, one of my Adventure hooks will likely have something to do with interest stemming from Sardior the Ruby Dragon. He’s simply not used enough in the Realms.
He's not used enough at all, really.

Are you considering doing the dragon physically like a normal western-European-style dragon or differently?

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Cromstar wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:23 pm
Seethyr wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:17 pm
He's not used enough at all, really.

Are you considering doing the dragon physically like a normal western-European-style dragon or differently?
I haven’t really taken this into consideration yet. Considering their origins, I’ll likely go with the standard dragon body type, but I want them to virtually ooze blue-tinged magic. Their eyes, their scales, etc. They’ll also have some powerful healing abilities because almost every real world reference to turquoise mentions its powers of protection and healing.

I just realized it might not be a bad idea to stat up “blue micha” as a variant to the magical substance from the campaign guide.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Cromstar
Ogre

Post by Cromstar »

The reason I ask is that a year or two ago, my father and I did work on some dragons for our MayAz-expy setting and to give them a more unique feeling, we went with the feathered-serpent style (each having their own unique variant). I don't think any of them have legs, though a few have wings. So, for example, our sun dragon has golden scales and a 'mane' of bronze-colored feathers.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Cromstar wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:02 pm
The reason I ask is that a year or two ago, my father and I did work on some dragons for our MayAz-expy setting and to give them a more unique feeling, we went with the feathered-serpent style (each having their own unique variant). I don't think any of them have legs, though a few have wings. So, for example, our sun dragon has golden scales and a 'mane' of bronze-colored feathers.
You’re response made me look for a little bit more alternative artwork (that I could pay for its use or use free). Let’s see what you think of the wyrmling I chose in this first iteration.

Note that this is a WIP and there are errors in the stat block (AC for example).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XgYGEx ... sp=sharing

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Cromstar
Ogre

Post by Cromstar »

Oh man, I like it. Almost like a more...ethereal (I use that in the common-language meaning, not the D&D meaning) version of a fairy dragon.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Seethyr wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:44 pm
Cromstar wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:02 pm
You’re response made me look for a little bit more alternative artwork (that I could pay for its use or use free). Let’s see what you think of the wyrmling I chose in this first iteration.

Note that this is a WIP and there are errors in the stat block (AC for example).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XgYGEx ... sp=sharing
Oh I’m glad you like it. Would you believe that image (the wyrmling) was from a tee shirt decal that I got permission to use? Now I want to get that tee for my daughter lol.

Anyway, here is the final...

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/321967

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Cromstar
Ogre

Post by Cromstar »

I would actually believe that 100%. Very nice work. Should have mentioned that I can't really provide any feedback on the crunchy bits, but I liked the other bits.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 »

Nice. However... I suppose I'll have to attempt to interpolate the stats for AD&D myself.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

BlackBat242 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:17 am
Nice. However... I suppose I'll have to attempt to interpolate the stats for AD&D myself.
Argh I wish I could help. It’s been so long for me now I’ve forgotten how to convert.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Return to “Maztica”