Maztica - Best product to start with on a budget?

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Maztica - Best product to start with on a budget?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:05 pm

It's been forever since I've dipped my toes into Maztica and I remember very little. I'd like to rebuild my Maztica collection, but I don't want to start by spending silly/stupid money on secondhand products, so I need help on which product to go after first on a budget.

I'd like to get more involved in this forum and it would help to have the resources so that I can relearn about the sub-setting.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Re: Maztica - Best product to start with on a budget?

Post by Boneguard » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:14 am

Go for the Box Set first (Maztica Campaign Set). It will have all you need.

The 3 novels, Iron Helm, Viper hand and Feathered Dragon (not in order) are nice to set the mood pre-Box Set.

The 2 adventures, Fires of Zatal and Endless Armies are nice but not necessarily a "Must Have".

The Adventure/Supplement City of Gold is a great addition if you want to add Publo Indians to your setting.

That pretty much covers it IIRC...aside from DM GUILD stuff.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:03 am

Boneguard wrote:Go for the Box Set first (Maztica Campaign Set). It will have all you need.
I only buy through amazon for physical media, and the setting at it's cheapest is $65 so that's not exactly budget priced. I'm not adverse to PDFs, but I much prefer to start with physical books.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:14 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Boneguard wrote:Go for the Box Set first (Maztica Campaign Set). It will have all you need.
I only buy through amazon for physical media, and the setting at it's cheapest is $65 so that's not exactly budget priced. I'm not adverse to PDFs, but I much prefer to start with physical books.
It's a fair point, but considering the other products are adventures or novel, it's not ideal.

However, I did find a good copy on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1991-F ... Swm3ZZsx-Y

A bit less then 30USD shipping included. Might be worth looking into it.
Last edited by Boneguard on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:50 am

Thanks, Boneguard.

Which novels do you recommend getting and reading first?

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 am

Ironhelm, Viperhand and Feathered Dragon is their order, so I'd start with Ironhelm.

Ironhelm largely takes place in Payit (the not-Mayan region, where Faerunian characters will likely arrive), Viperhand gives a lot of detail on pre-Boxed Set Nexal (the not-Aztecs), and Feathered Serpent sets up the status quo of the Boxed Set.
Returned Maztica - a new vision for Maztica in the 5th Edition era of the Forgotten Realms! Learn how the continent has changed after invasions and dragonfire, and take part as the people of Maztica finally take their destinies into their own hands!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks, Jürgen! I really appreciate it!

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:09 pm

That being said: Your best choice for an overview is the Maztica Boxed Set, which can be had as a PDF for $9.99 at the Dungeon Master's Guild. In fact, it's the only real "overview product" out there.

Other relevant "official" products at the Dungeon Master's Guild:

- FMQ1 City of Gold - their take on the search for "El Dorado", which some supplement material for their "not-Pueblo".
- FMA2 Endless Armies - another adventure set in Far Payit, involving a local "Great Old One"
- Lands of Intrigue - while it is mostly about three lands in Faerun, the Amn section does have a few pages with updates about Maztica a few years later in the timeline, including some new colonies.

Still missing in PDF form is the adventure "Fires of Zatal", which involves a trip to (ruined) Nexal.

There is also lots of "non-canon" material on the Dungeon Master's Guild if you search for Maztica. If you want to run a game with D&D 5e, you will probably want the Maztican Bestiary, which has 5e conversions for all the Maztican monsters published so far.
Returned Maztica - a new vision for Maztica in the 5th Edition era of the Forgotten Realms! Learn how the continent has changed after invasions and dragonfire, and take part as the people of Maztica finally take their destinies into their own hands!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 pm

I guess I should just buy the PDf and then when finances are better nab the box set. Thanks again, Jürgen!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
If you can hang on a bit, DMs Guild will eventually pull their finger out and convert that boxed set into a Print on Demand book. That will be substantially cheaper than the boxed set (and you won't have to worry about bits being missing).

I know there was also a poster, with a map. DMs Guild had not really figured out how to do PoD posters last time I looked, but I think they will sort that out at some point.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Jürgen Hubert wrote:Ironhelm, Viperhand and Feathered Dragon is their order, so I'd start with Ironhelm.
Some of the D&D products might be fairly expensive, but I often see D&D novels (like these) for $0.01 + shipping on Amazon. If you keep an eye on these novels, and you don't "need" mint-condition copies, you can wait for cheap copies to come along.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:04 pm

Big Mac wrote:If you can hang on a bit, DMs Guild will eventually pull their finger out and convert that boxed set into a Print on Demand book. That will be substantially cheaper than the boxed set (and you won't have to worry about bits being missing).

I know there was also a poster, with a map. DMs Guild had not really figured out how to do PoD posters last time I looked, but I think they will sort that out at some point.
That would be fantastic, and of course a cheaper alternative for the time being. I would still want to get the box set at some point though just to be able to have everything, including that poster.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:06 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Jürgen Hubert wrote:Ironhelm, Viperhand and Feathered Dragon is their order, so I'd start with Ironhelm.
Some of the D&D products might be fairly expensive, but I often see D&D novels (like these) for $0.01 + shipping on Amazon. If you keep an eye on these novels, and you don't "need" mint-condition copies, you can wait for cheap copies to come along.
I have price tracking software that lets me know when stuff hits a pricepoint that I am looking for when it comes to certain products, so I've already added these books to the software so that I can get notified. Thanks, Big Mac!

Return to “Maztica”