Mechica - Adventure Module in Dragon Mag #70

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Mechica - Adventure Module in Dragon Mag #70

Post by ghendar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:15 pm

I figured this might be of some value to folks on this forum as it could be used with Maztica. I was poking around in my Dragon magazine CD archive the other day and came across Dragon 70 with the Aztec themed module in it, Mechica. It's not available legally in PDF and no I will not provide a copy to anyone so please don't ask. There are some available on ebay and Amazon right now if interested. Dragon 70 on ebay ..... Dragon 70 on Amazon

However, I found a couple threads on Dragonsfoot talking about it.
Some bits of info
A thorough review
Last edited by ghendar on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: Mechica - Adventure Module in Dragon Mag #70

Post by Sturm » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Good find, I have the issue, well it's a shameless Mexican-Aztec rip-off down to the map, but it was 1983 so it was original at the time :)
In Maztica could work maybe as a city which falls under the rule of werejaguars..

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:25 pm

There are some easy conversions thematically to Maztica here. Been pondering this one for years.

For one, the Night of Wailing changed evil humans into orcs, trolls, ogres and jagre (shapechanging ogre/displacer beasts). Perhaps these created species don’t exactly breed true and if the Beasts of the Viperhand (their collective name) want to continue their kind they need to use the Risa Stone from Mechica to transform both willing ang unwilling humanoids.

From there the adventure can almost roll into a direct conversion. The risa stone was used to change humans into werejaguars originally.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 am

Seethyr wrote:There are some easy conversions thematically to Maztica here. Been pondering this one for years.
Perhaps the world needs a Mechica-to-Maztica conversion document (complete with a replacement map). :)
Seethyr wrote:For one, the Night of Wailing changed evil humans into orcs, trolls, ogres and jagre (shapechanging ogre/displacer beasts). Perhaps these created species don’t exactly breed true and if the Beasts of the Viperhand (their collective name) want to continue their kind they need to use the Risa Stone from Mechica to transform both willing ang unwilling humanoids.

From there the adventure can almost roll into a direct conversion. The risa stone was used to change humans into werejaguars originally.
I've not read this yet, but even if the transformed humans breed true in their new form, there could be a good thematic reason for using this Risa Stone to transform additional people. You already have a theme of human sacrifice in Maztica. I actually think that transforming captured people into werejaguars is a better plot hook than chopping out hearts.

Firstly, the people with the stone might be able to try to build up a bigger and bigger army and try to take over the world. <insert Muhahahaha here />

Secondly, you could have one or more people that the PCs (or NPCs they know) care about get captured and have the PCs go to rescue them and...if necessary reverse the transformation. Once a heart is chopped out an NPC can no longer be easily rescued. But it could be fun to have the PCs hunt down and capture werejaguars, looking for friends. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 am

Here’s a musing on Mechica, the Risa Stone, and a possible Maztica Alive come nnection.

Before the Night of Wailing the Nexalans were human. They had the closest resemblance to the actual Aztecs and they subjugated the vast majority of the lands around them. Two groups that repeatedly foiled their advances were the Kultakans and the small city state of the Otomi.

The Otomi were much further from the Nexalans and also simply disappeared into the mountains when Nexal attacked. This is all canon btw.

But what I’m thinking of having had happen is the Otomi manage to disappear so fully because they have a door to another world hidden in the mountains (my original vision of this was a Stargate type artifact).

The Otomi came into contact (or maybe were related to)the Mechica people of this other world. Perhaps they took the risa stone and brought it back to Toril. Perhaps jagre, not actually being able to breed true, corrupted the risa stone even further so that it could convert Zaltecs devout into jagre.

The beasts of the viper hand now have the stone. This way, the application of Mechica to Maztica could be more of a continuation rather than a rewrite. What do you think?

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:14 am

Seethyr wrote:Here’s a musing on Mechica, the Risa Stone, and a possible Maztica Alive come nnection.

Before the Night of Wailing the Nexalans were human. They had the closest resemblance to the actual Aztecs and they subjugated the vast majority of the lands around them. Two groups that repeatedly foiled their advances were the Kultakans and the small city state of the Otomi.

The Otomi were much further from the Nexalans and also simply disappeared into the mountains when Nexal attacked. This is all canon btw.

But what I’m thinking of having had happen is the Otomi manage to disappear so fully because they have a door to another world hidden in the mountains (my original vision of this was a Stargate type artifact).
It's also possible that they simply moved into your version of the Feywild or the Shadowfell. Time to come up with some Shadar-kai game statistics for 5e!
Returned Maztica - a new vision for Maztica in the 5th Edition era of the Forgotten Realms! Learn how the continent has changed after invasions and dragonfire, and take part as the people of Maztica finally take their destinies into their own hands!

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:35 pm

Jürgen Hubert wrote:
Seethyr wrote:Here’s a musing on Mechica, the Risa Stone, and a possible Maztica Alive come nnection.

It's also possible that they simply moved into your version of the Feywild or the Shadowfell. Time to come up with some Shadar-kai game statistics for 5e!
This could definitely work but I have other plans for this doorway possibly in a future project or just for use with my players once I get my group adventuring regularly again.

I'm thinking of making the doorway keyed with Aztec symbols much in the line of the Aztec Calendar. The wrong combination of keys could lead to random, terrible worlds, but the correct sequence (maybe there are concentric rings of symbols) could lead to other Aztec based regions that could be found elsewhere in the whole of the gaming indistry. So, if I want my characters to meet the Azcans from Hollow World, they can do so...

The Maztica Boxed set mentions a variety of unknown ruins in the western mountains near the Otomi of unknown origins. Sequences for specific worlds could be found in some of these ruins.

I don't know, its not an idea I have managed to fully explore yet, but one I really want for the future.

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Seethyr wrote:I'm thinking of making the doorway keyed with Aztec symbols much in the line of the Aztec Calendar. The wrong combination of keys could lead to random, terrible worlds, but the correct sequence (maybe there are concentric rings of symbols) could lead to other Aztec based regions that could be found elsewhere in the whole of the gaming indistry. So, if I want my characters to meet the Azcans from Hollow World, they can do so...

The Maztica Boxed set mentions a variety of unknown ruins in the western mountains near the Otomi of unknown origins. Sequences for specific worlds could be found in some of these ruins.

I don't know, its not an idea I have managed to fully explore yet, but one I really want for the future.
Another thought: Perhaps these gates lead to "prior worlds" created by the gods, just like they had prior attempts at creating humans. They might have some superficial similarities to the current world, but be subtly wrong, somehow - with slightly different laws of physics and all sorts of flaws that make them less suitable for human habitation. It's also possible that they have been taken over by other, alien powers since the gods have abandoned them.

A good D&D model for this would be Ravenloft, which appears to be like an ordinary material plane at the surface, but it gets stranger the closer you look at it.
Returned Maztica - a new vision for Maztica in the 5th Edition era of the Forgotten Realms! Learn how the continent has changed after invasions and dragonfire, and take part as the people of Maztica finally take their destinies into their own hands!

Return to “Maztica”