Mictlatepec and Mictlaneca

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Seethyr
Fire Giant

Mictlatepec and Mictlaneca

Post by Seethyr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 pm

On page 51 in the Maztica Boxed set there is a mini adventure or lair (it is set up in the format of the old "Book of Lairs", in fact).

There is a City of the Dead for an old civilization (the Zateca) which no longer exists in Maztica, except for this one city loaded with undead known as "Mictlaneca." The city's name is Mictlatepec.

I'm including a trip to it in the next Maztica adventure, but the map from the boxed set is a little poor in quality, so I thought I'd update it with a 3D rendering. Here is the original...

And here is about 3 hours of work using Google Sketchup...

Douglas Niles was very specific in his description of the city, and I am trying to follow his parameters exactly (even though the city would likely have changed a bit in the last 130 years).

I'll be updating my work here with additional lore on Mictlatepec as I make progress. Even if you don't use the adventure, maybe you can get some use out of the city.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Re: Mictlatepec and Mictlaneca

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:10 am

Google Sketchup is an awesome piece of software for doing 3D models of adventuring sites. So far, I have only used it once for this purpose, but I will definitely doing more of that in the future.

In "Returned Maztica" Mictlatepec will get a major focus - it will basically be the local equivalent of Barad-Dur, ruled over by an undead dragon. So I am looking forward to what you can come up with!
Returned Maztica - a new vision for Maztica in the 5th Edition era of the Forgotten Realms! Learn how the continent has changed after invasions and dragonfire, and take part as the people of Maztica finally take their destinies into their own hands!

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Yeah I have to say I love Sketchup. It’s particularly friendly even to people whose art skills amount to zero (aka me).

That’s awesome that Mictlatepec is playing such a prominent role for Maztica Returned. I love the idea of a dracolich ruling the city - unfortunately for the lore I’m working out, that would be too much going on (or maybe not, the dragon could be away from the city in my adventure?). Have you considered making the dracolich a tlalocoatl? That would mean there are rain dragons on Abeir but that’s not too much of a stretch. (Lennart’s Maztica Bestiary has tlalocoatls updated for 5e).

In the end I’m going to try to keep to the original map perfectly, it’s just going to take a while. One structure at a time....

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:28 pm

It's been a while since I've seen you make a 3D map of something Mezoamerican. I look forward to seeing more of this. :-)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Big Mac wrote:It's been a while since I've seen you make a 3D map of something Mezoamerican. I look forward to seeing more of this. :-)
I didn't realize how fun it could be. I kind of wish I could show this to Douglas Niles, considering he drew the original map.

Definitely could use more tutorials though - my structures are as basic as can be.

Here's a few more buildings done.

EDIT: The middle temple's platform somehow got brought up too high (resulting in a 3' high doorway) - it has since been adjusted.

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:16 am

Seethyr wrote:Yeah I have to say I love Sketchup. It’s particularly friendly even to people whose art skills amount to zero (aka me).

That’s awesome that Mictlatepec is playing such a prominent role for Maztica Returned. I love the idea of a dracolich ruling the city - unfortunately for the lore I’m working out, that would be too much going on (or maybe not, the dragon could be away from the city in my adventure?). Have you considered making the dracolich a tlalocoatl? That would mean there are rain dragons on Abeir but that’s not too much of a stretch. (Lennart’s Maztica Bestiary has tlalocoatls updated for 5e).

In the end I’m going to try to keep to the original map perfectly, it’s just going to take a while. One structure at a time....
For aesthetic reasons I went with a blue dragon, sibling to two of the other dragon overlords. His siblings got killed by Maztican heroes, giving him another reason to hate mortals. He used to be alive, but he did pick up certain artifacts from Mictlatepec during his reign of Huacli - which resulted in him coming back as a wight when he was "slain" in a recent battle.
Returned Maztica - a new vision for Maztica in the 5th Edition era of the Forgotten Realms! Learn how the continent has changed after invasions and dragonfire, and take part as the people of Maztica finally take their destinies into their own hands!

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:36 am

Seethyr wrote:
Big Mac wrote:It's been a while since I've seen you make a 3D map of something Mezoamerican. I look forward to seeing more of this. :-)
I didn't realize how fun it could be. I kind of wish I could show this to Douglas Niles, considering he drew the original map.

Definitely could use more tutorials though - my structures are as basic as can be.
I uploaded the image generated by SketchUp into graphics software (I believe I used GIMP at the time, but these days I would probably use krita - both are free) and "painted over" the image - giving me a great scene without having to worry about things like perspective. If you can afford a cheap graphics tablet (I think the cheapest Wacom tablets with pressure sensitivity start at €50 or so), this can be pretty fun and fairly easy.

What I haven't figured out with SketchUp yet is how to do some simple terrain shaping (such as defining hills and the like) - if you come across a good tutorial for that I would appreciate it.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:58 am

Hard to see detail from here, but the adventure will have closeups for each structure...

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:02 am

Jürgen Hubert wrote:
What I haven't figured out with SketchUp yet is how to do some simple terrain shaping (such as defining hills and the like) - if you come across a good tutorial for that I would appreciate it.
I'm sure there is a much better way, but what I do for tunnels, hills, mountains, etc. is pull down a bit, scale up or down, rotate, then repeat.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 pm

Final product.

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:31 pm

If you are curious, here is an example of using a SketchUp mockup as a base for a digital drawing that I did a couple of years ago - you might want to do the same for your images.

Return to “Maztica”