Men of Gold

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Seethyr
Fire Giant

Men of Gold

Post by Seethyr » Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 pm

It’s a topic that’s been brought up a number of times but I’m still pondering the nature of the men made of gold from the Maztica Boxed Set.

If you’re not up on your Maztica lore, this refers to the third attempt of the creator deity Kukul at making mankind. The first two attempts were men of mud, men of wood (both failures and a topic for another time), and then the men of gold. Mankind was finally created when Kukul sliced off his own fingers.

The men of gold were considered a failure because of the lack of ability to value and worship their creators.

In my mind that pins them down wholly as golems if they still exist somewhere in the True World. But what kind? Gold golems? Never seen them before and I can only imagine the hunt for gold man body parts lol.

I’m really open to ideas about the men of gold - even if it goes somewhere completely different. I’m visualizing a valley hidden somewhere (Huacli?) with only a single entrance (a tunnel, like Shelob’s lair on the way to Mordor) that has challenges of its own to get through. In the valley there is flora and fauna that hasn’t been seen since the days of thunder - perhaps having evolved in their own direction.

Giant golden statues stand unmoving (they’ve either grown or always been colossal in size) and entering the valley might eventually wake them. I could imagine that they are soulless but are still incredibly aggravated that the gods simply threw them away. Now they take it out on all of the shiny “new” playthings of the gods known as mankind.

Thoughts?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: Men of Gold

Post by Sturm » Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 pm

This comes from a mayan myth where the men of mud dissolves, the men of wood forget the gods and the men of maize are the successful creation. So there is no men of gold. I'm not sure I would make them golems.. maybe an ancient civilization which built golems could be the truth beyond the legend? Maztica chronology is quite undetermined. Maybe it could have had a powerful civilization when Netheril flourished on Faerun...

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Thu May 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Sturm wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 pm
This comes from a mayan myth where the men of mud dissolves, the men of wood forget the gods and the men of maize are the successful creation. So there is no men of gold. I'm not sure I would make them golems.. maybe an ancient civilization which built golems could be the truth beyond the legend? Maztica chronology is quite undetermined. Maybe it could have had a powerful civilization when Netheril flourished on Faerun...

Yes, Mr. Niles certainly drew some major inspiration from real world myth in this. I think for its time period (1991) where research wasn’t as at our fingertips as it is today it was a good raid that many probably didn’t pick up on as easily.

I like the thought of another civilization that predated man. There are many myths about giants (off the top of my head called Yolyamantzin or somesuch) that might fit the bill. Maybe they just loved gold so much early man thought they were made of it? I tried to do something similar with Lopango though and don’t want to confuse the issue too much, but it works. Only problem is it doesn’t explain why they got dumped.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri May 25, 2018 9:59 am

Maybe they started to worship another god or goddess. The rest of the continent has a lot of space to put them eventually :)

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat May 26, 2018 5:09 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 pm
The men of gold were considered a failure because of the lack of ability to value and worship their creators.
Sounds like a great excuse to include the Vasharans from 3E's Book of Vile Darkness, a race of evil humans who want to kill the gods. Although they're quite deep into filth, so they sound more like "men of mud" to me; I might instead associate the "men of gold" with the racist Lawful Evil deity Zarus, from Races of Destiny, figuring that they imagine themselves to be superior to all other versions of humans, with an elevated god-king of their own race as the only deity they'll accept. A hypocritical superiority complex sounds very fitting for Men of Gold to me.

(I take it that all of this has nothing to do with "The Man of Gold", the first of MAR Barker's Tekumel novels?)

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Sat May 26, 2018 5:56 pm

willpell wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:09 pm
Seethyr wrote:
Sounds like a great excuse to include the Vasharans from 3E's Book of Vile Darkness, a race of evil humans who want to kill the gods. Although they're quite deep into filth, so they sound more like "men of mud" to me; I might instead associate the "men of gold" with the racist Lawful Evil deity Zarus, from Races of Destiny, figuring that they imagine themselves to be superior to all other versions of humans, with an elevated god-king of their own race as the only deity they'll accept. A hypocritical superiority complex sounds very fitting for Men of Gold to me.

(I take it that all of this has nothing to do with "The Man of Gold", the first of MAR Barker's Tekumel novels?)
Oh no, there goes my Memorial Day weekend. Lost in too much reading! But you know it’s going to happen now lol.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Wed May 30, 2018 5:15 am

I just found the into to FMQ1 City of Gold actually spells out exactly what happened to the men of gold. Somehow, they ended up in the northern reaches of Maztica (likely near the Dog People) and were worshiped by the first men to inhabit the area. That ticked off the gods who wiped them out. Then, a second group came along and knocked them over and broke them apart for their precious gold. This made everyone rich, which made everyone lazy. Finally, a third group came that took the gold and offered it to the gods. They used it to worship the gods and spirits and this became favored. I believe this reference of mankind was about the Azuposi.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed May 30, 2018 12:34 pm

Seethyr wrote:
It’s a topic that’s been brought up a number of times but I’m still pondering the nature of the men made of gold from the Maztica Boxed Set.

If you’re not up on your Maztica lore, this refers to the third attempt of the creator deity Kukul at making mankind. The first two attempts were men of mud, men of wood (both failures and a topic for another time), and then the men of gold. Mankind was finally created when Kukul sliced off his own fingers.

In my mind that pins them down wholly as golems if they still exist somewhere in the True World. But what kind? Gold golems? Never seen them before and I can only imagine the hunt for gold man body parts lol.

I’m really open to ideas about the men of gold - even if it goes somewhere completely different. I’m visualizing a valley hidden somewhere (Huacli?) with only a single entrance (a tunnel, like Shelob’s lair on the way to Mordor) that has challenges of its own to get through. In the valley there is flora and fauna that hasn’t been seen since the days of thunder - perhaps having evolved in their own direction.

Giant golden statues stand unmoving (they’ve either grown or always been colossal in size) and entering the valley might eventually wake them. I could imagine that they are soulless but are still incredibly aggravated that the gods simply threw them away. Now they take it out on all of the shiny “new” playthings of the gods known as mankind.
There is a Spelljammer monster called a Silactic that is made from metal...and that consumes metal. There are a few varieties that are built from different metals. Perhaps you could look at that monster to get a "Man of Gold" that is mostly dormant, but who wakes up to consume gold.

There could be some civilisations where they make sacrificies of gold, and placate a Man of Gold, and other places where a Man of Gold has been abandoned to randomly attack people who pass by carrying gold.

With the Amnians liking to steal gold and take it back home, a Man of Gold could be an interesting monster to send at them.

And, if a Man of Gold increated in HD (and size) up to a point where he splits into two Men of Gold, it would be a good way to rapidly convert treasure...into monsters! :twisted:

(If Men of Gold raided an Amnian port town, they could then vanish off into the countryside, taking tons of gold away with them...as parts of their bodies.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Maztica”