[Anchorome] Can the Atruaghin Clans be Raided?

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Seethyr
Couatl

[Anchorome] Can the Atruaghin Clans be Raided?

Post by Seethyr » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:18 pm

I don’t know much about the Atruaghin clans but from what I’ve read here on Piazza, they have a pseudo Native American culture - seems like with quite a bit of high fantasy mixed in.

Could there be crossover (even vice versa) since Anchorome is supposed to have some similarities? What could be raided?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Anchorome] Can the Atruaghin Clans be Raided?

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:30 am

For Anachrome, David Howery's article "The People" in Dragon #205 is a solid basis to start from. "The lands north of Maztica" are one of the suggestions there for where to place the continent described in the article.

As for GAZ 14 The Atruaghin Clans, you'd want to ignore all the backstory about Atruaghin making a plateau, the Hollow World, Atzanteotl, and the specific pantheon of Atruaghin Immortals described in the book. Also ignore the racist section on ability scores. You could borrow some of the totem rules but just let the player choose their totem rather than making them roll on a random chart because why the hell would you make them roll on a random chart, that's like forcing them to choose a random race or class, sheesh. Or like, the table where you roll to see if your parents are alive or not; I guess it's a difference in play styles, but why wouldn't you just let a player decide that. I guess if you don't have any predetermined ideas of your own on the subject, though, you might as well roll on a chart for ideas. The totems in GAZ 14 are mostly just roleplaying tools (though they're associated with some of the shamani spells later in the book), but you might turn them into feats or something with game mechanic advantages to the totem you choose.

The Atruaghin Clans are based on broad cultural groupings from the real world.

Turtle Clan: Live on the coast in temperate rain forests. Based on northwest Pacific peoples, I think.
Tiger Clan: Based on the Aztecs.
Bear Clan: Based on southwest desert peoples like the Pueblo.
Horse Clan: Based on Great Plains peoples like the Lakota.
Elk Clan: Based on Eastern Woodlands peoples like the Ojibwe.

Shamani class: You could adapt some of the spells here into another system, like Call Totem, Bind Totem, Hunting Paint, Fire Gate, Eyes of the Eagle, etc.

World Elevator: This is specific to the geography of the Atruaghin Plateau, but I suppose you might find something like it in Anachrome.

You could raid a lot of the cultural details about the various clans for Anachrome, keeping in mind that they're spread across a continent rather than being crammed together on the same plateau just west of the Five Shires.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:45 am

Oh no, now I have to buy another book lol. Thank you, it looks like there's actually a lot to work with.

I am definitely using that "The People" article already, but mostly for the monsters and magic items. Some of the lore was...meh, and the cultural history portion seemed to have come out before internet research was invented. Still, there was a lot to take from it.

I have been working on a new people called the "Minnenewah" which in some ways resemble some tribes of Native Americans (but I really don't want them to be a replica, particularly considering its so many different people). I plan to make them one "race" that has similarities to the Spirit Folk of Kara-Tur, but have dozens of subraces - one for each "tribe" with their own specialties and abilities. I'll avoid the Tiger Clan, but the others seem interesting. I might even raid the "Beaver Clan" that has come up as a joke recently in another post.

The totem rules also sound interesting - I hope that section is extensive enough to be worth picking up, and I don't really know what a World elevator is, but I assume its a way to get to the Hollow World or something similar. Could be adapted, but that would just be too much of a ripoff.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:46 am

I remember there was also some type of D20 supplement out there called "North Star" or somesuch. I can't find it anywhere or even a reference...probably because I have the name wrong.

Louis_bowwow
Orc

Post by Louis_bowwow » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:39 am

I think you are thinking of Northern Crown. Great books. They just recently did a kickstarter and updated it to the Pathfinder rules. It was made by Battlefield Press. Lots of good material in there.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:01 am

You could also raid HWR1 Sons of Azca, for Maztica.

Yup, it is pseudo-Native American, but stereotypical rather than realistic. More like a Hollywood-style version. Horses are a big thing for one..

Atruaghin Clans is one of the least accurate GAZ's, especially with the map in relation to other D&D products, but I personally liked the idea of the World Elevator and the Mystic Conveyor.. it ties into a Hollow World as well... Hollow Realms?
ripvanwormer wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:30 am
Also ignore the racist section on ability scores.
Typical gaming terms for any type of culture considered "barbarian". Also previous to the below extract their Str and Con scores are increased so I would consider this game balancing, rather than racist:

With the demands of survival placed upon members of the Atruaghin Clans by the world around them, it is easy to see why their intellectual abilities are somewhat lacking. This should not be taken to indicate that members of the clans are any less intelligent than those in the rest of the world, only that they lack the time and schooling systems needed to fully develop their mental powers. Thus, when generating an Atruaghin Clans character, roll four six-sided dice for his Intelligence and Wisdom scores, discarding the highest die.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Morfie wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:01 am
Typical gaming terms for any type of culture considered "barbarian".
Typical, huh. So weird that humans from the Northern Reaches, or Ethengar, or the Hinterlands, or desert nomads from Ylaruam didn't get slapped with intelligence and wisdom penalties. Quite strange that the urbanized Children of the Bear have the same penalties as the itinerant Children of the Horse purely on the basis of their race. Never mind that wisdom has never meant "book learning" and that this is a mechanic that doesn't exist anywhere else in BECMI. It must feel great for people from cultures that inspired the Atruaghin Clans to be told their counterparts on Mystara have intellectual abilities that are "somewhat lacking."

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:38 pm

It is undoubtely racist. And does not make much sense in setting either, nor historically, as with the World Elevator they should have quite some trade with the outside world, therefore what special demand of survival should they have other cultures have not? And why shouldn't clerics and wizards have access to books, for example? The Cherokee developed schools and a written alphabet, and in centuries of contact with Darokinians, it should be likely the Atruaghins did that too.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:08 pm

Funny, I have made a home brew race modeled off of a variety of Native American cultures (and not saying THE due to the fact that they are not a monolith), and guess what their +2 bonus is in. Perceptions change.

Louis_bowwow
Orc

Post by Louis_bowwow » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:44 am

If you are looking for some inspiration, I would suggest Totems of the Dead, by Gun Metal Games. It is a different system of rules, but a great resource for inspiration.

Return to “Maztica”