[Anchorome] Land of the Insect Men

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Seethyr
Couatl

[Anchorome] Land of the Insect Men

Post by Seethyr » Fri May 03, 2019 11:56 pm

Canonically to the far north and west of the Pasocada Basin in Anchorome, there is said to be "The Land of the Insect Men," where thri-kreen dominate. In the past this description has caused me to misremember the area as "The Land of the Mantis Men," but as I do some research, I can't seem to find that name used anywhere except in my own head.

With that being said, it has opened up possibilities. I am trying to homebrew lore where anthropomorphic insects of all sorts are drawn to the region now instead of just thri-kreen. I'm going to do some handwaiving about "ancient batrachi magic" for what draws them there, but I was wondering what creatures I might be missing out on including. So far I have...

1. Thri-Kreen. The obvious and most populous choice, along with a number of subraces that have evolved over the centuries (as well as ones taken from Dark Sun.

2. The Abeil. What an underused race! Bee-people are awesome, as are their hexagonal hive cities, giant vats of honey, and gargantuan flowers that surround the city proper.

3. Bacar. The bacar of Maztica literally had nothing to do after H'Calos escaped his prison in Far Payit. I'm assuming a queen or two wandered north and made it to the Land of the Insect Men, and have since "settled" but now are going to war with the Abeil.

4. Ettercaps. Ettercaps inhabit every small wooded area in this region, thus contributing to the fact that there are almost no fey.

5. Ankhegs. I am developing a thri-kreen specific class of fighter known as an Ankheg Dragoon (name pending a change, perhaps). It would be cool to see a thri-kreen riding an ankheg like a noble steed!

I am avoiding the following for lore reasons...

1. Tlincalli. Sure, they'd fit perfectly, but my homebrew lore has specific reasons they wont be found here.

2. Formians. Not 100% sold on keeping them out, but the bacar already fill the "antman" void.

What other insect-folk might I consider?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

lookatroopa
Goblin

Re: [Anchorome] Land of the Insect Men

Post by lookatroopa » Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 pm

- Umber hulks: Though I'm not sure if the game is 100% consistent on this front, I think they're sometimes regarded as moderately intelligent.

- Aspis: Subterranean weevil folk from the Slave Pits of the Undercity module.

- Dromites: Psionic vaguely insect-like people from the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

- Roach Thralls: Intelligent cockroaches that practice an unusual type of bodysnatching, from Urban Arcana (not really D&D but some cross-pollination is fun).

Spelljammer has a bunch of insectfolk, though I wouldn't personally use them here if you're keeping it groundling. Off the top of my head I can think of xixchil (body-modding mantids), k'r'r'r (spiders aren't insects but since the tlincalli were brought up I thought they'd apply), rastipedes (vaguely cockroach-like folks based off of the Vrusk from Star Frontiers), insectare (people of both elven and insect descent), and the neogi (also part-spiders, I think they actually already have a bit of history on Toril).

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sat May 04, 2019 8:52 pm

lookatroopa wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 pm
- Umber hulks: Though I'm not sure if the game is 100% consistent on this front, I think they're sometimes regarded as moderately intelligent.

- Dromites: Psionic vaguely insect-like people from the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

- Roach Thralls: Intelligent cockroaches that practice an unusual type of bodysnatching, from Urban Arcana (not really D&D but some cross-pollination is fun).

Spelljammer has a bunch of insectfolk, though I wouldn't personally use them here if you're keeping it groundling. Off the top of my head I can think of xixchil (body-modding mantids), k'r'r'r (spiders aren't insects but since the tlincalli were brought up I thought they'd apply), rastipedes (vaguely cockroach-like folks based off of the Vrusk from Star Frontiers), insectare (people of both elven and insect descent), and the neogi (also part-spiders, I think they actually already have a bit of history on Toril).
And the Umber Hill are often Servant/Labour for the Neogi.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sat May 04, 2019 10:06 pm

lookatroopa wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 pm

Excellent suggestions. I’m particularly interested in the roach thralls as an enemy to the thri-kreen. I also remember such a creature in an old dragon magazine article. I am going to have to do some research to find out which.

I also just scoured the 3.5e MMII and MMIII and found a whole lot of potential. I forgot how many creatures those books had that have never appeared anywhere before or unfortunately, since.

Louis_bowwow
Orc

Post by Louis_bowwow » Sun May 05, 2019 5:21 am

I personally was a big fan of the Aranea. Shapeshifter spider folk. The way they were portrayed in the Savage Coast was pretty cool.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon May 06, 2019 12:17 am

Louis_bowwow wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:21 am
I personally was a big fan of the Aranea. Shapeshifter spider folk. The way they were portrayed in the Savage Coast was pretty cool.
Good call, I have ettercap in the smaller forests and I think aranea might make good puppet masters for them.

I have also considered using psurlon and/or avolakia in the underdark.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon May 20, 2019 5:01 am

Been working on this simultaneously with the Anchorome project. This region of Anchorome is actually canon, but here is my take on it since it's never gotten anything more than a name.

Some note due to this being a WIP.

1. It's unedited, please forgive grammatical and spelling errors.
2. You may not know some of the lore because the product before this one still hasn't been released.
3. I have to take this link down once it is released because of DMsGuild rules...
4. 9 or ten monsters to go, editing, map and proper crediting and it is done!

ANS1 The Land of the Insect Men

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon May 20, 2019 10:44 am

Have you seen my race creation guidelines in my signature? Is there any particular race you are less sure of? I can take a look and evaluate it.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon May 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:44 am
Have you seen my race creation guidelines in my signature? Is there any particular race you are less sure of? I can take a look and evaluate it.
I have, and very much like it. I haven't really started the editing process yet, so yes, it is something I will approach soon enough.

Louis_bowwow
Orc

Post by Louis_bowwow » Tue May 21, 2019 4:14 am

Great work. I sat there and read this during my lunch at work today. I like how you don’t shy away from doing books on some of the nonstandard races(i.e. manscorpians, thri kreen). So many great ideas in this book. Really gives character to a place that was barely mentioned in another book. I can’t wait to see the final product.

Return to “Maztica”