Children of the Tiger

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Children of the Tiger

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:30 am

Could I use the Children of the Tiger (From the Atruaghin Clans) for the Olmec? I plan on using the Maztica as the Aztecs in one my campaign worlds.

Robin
White Dragon

Re: Children of the Tiger

Post by Robin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:19 am

of course why not?
It is your campaign.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:13 am

Robin wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:19 am
of course why not?
It is your campaign.
What I mean is is Olmec culture similar enough to Aztec to use the Children of the Tiger material or will I have to make alterations?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:13 am

nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:13 am
What I mean is is Olmec culture similar enough to Aztec to use the Children of the Tiger material or will I have to make alterations?
What do you mean by "similar enough"?

Are you talking about Children of the Tiger and Mazticans being on similar power levels?

Or are you talking about Olmecs and Aztecs being on similar power levels?

Neither of the D&D products are in the Historical Reference series, so both would have taken some liberties with the truth, in order to create a fun spread of things for PCs to go up against.

How likely you are to need to alter things is going to partly be down to your personal taste.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:17 am

Very little is known about Olmec culture, comparative to many other mesoamerican cultures (like the Aztec and Maya). Some of the broad strokes seem to be there- they are theorized to be the progenitors of the mesoamerican ballgame, for instance. I suspect you could use the Children of the Tiger material to represent the Olmecs without worrying too much if it's straying from the details.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:13 am
nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
What do you mean by "similar enough"?

Are you talking about Children of the Tiger and Mazticans being on similar power levels?

Or are you talking about Olmecs and Aztecs being on similar power levels?

Neither of the D&D products are in the Historical Reference series, so both would have taken some liberties with the truth, in order to create a fun spread of things for PCs to go up against.

How likely you are to need to alter things is going to partly be down to your personal taste.
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:17 am
Very little is known about Olmec culture, comparative to many other mesoamerican cultures (like the Aztec and Maya). Some of the broad strokes seem to be there- they are theorized to be the progenitors of the mesoamerican ballgame, for instance. I suspect you could use the Children of the Tiger material to represent the Olmecs without worrying too much if it's straying from the details.
I completely forgot about the Mayans. They were who I meant, not the Olmec. Are the Mayan similar enough to the Aztec that I could use the information from the Children of the Tiger as the Mayan to the Maztica's Aztec?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:12 pm

The Children of the Tiger are more Aztec-inspired. I'd use the Hollow World Oltecs instead.
G

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:28 pm

nick_crenshaw82 wrote:
Robin wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:19 am
of course why not?
It is your campaign.
Ok. No pun intended..Yet, such a use always requires a lot of alterations. As Agathokles, Chtulhudrew, and Big Mac already suggested, these are different
It is like looking at the Tolteks, Azteks, Mayan, Inca's, Olmec, and Pizteks and not seeing the differences.
As such I would not go too deep into details, and mimic a culture with similarities of the Azcan (see HWR1 Sons of Azca) maybe with some overlap of the Children of the Tiger as per GAZ14 The Atruaghin Clans.
Keep in mind that the Children of the Tiger (or Olmecs) on the Outer World had a greatlly continuated socio-cultural evolution and pollution from other cultures than the Azcan in the HW are, and will have significant variations.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

Return to “Maztica”