Lopango

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Seethyr
Couatl

Lopango

Post by Seethyr » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Hello everyone,

There are really three parts to this thread for anyone that has heard of Lopango, the seemingly undeveloped land south of the "True World" of Maztica.

First, does anyone know of any canon, or even unofficial material describing/defining the country? I believe there is something somewhere in the Candlekeep Compendiums that I will check out.

Second, since my guess is that not much has been done about it, I feel like it is completely open to define myself, or if anyone is interested in helping, ourselves... After all, since Maztica is now on Abeir, and doesn't seem like it will get any attention anytime soon, why not have fun with it?

Third, I would like to mention what I believe Lopango would be like. On wikipedia, I believe it was mentioned that Lopango has an Incan and "other Central American" feel to it. Whether this is canon or not, I would like to go with it. I have also already developed a bit of one Lopango's regions: the jungle in the north, known as the Chapullelel jungle, is inhabited by a savage race of illithid known as the yaggol (yes, the yaggol of the Dragonlance setting). I am currently writing an adventure for my Yahoo Group that includes these horrible creatures...

Anyway, help is most certainly appreciated. Please share any thoughts or ideas here.

Thank you much!
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: Lopango

Post by Seethyr » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:03 pm

71 views at this time with no responses completely confirms my suspicion that absolutely nothing has been done about this area in the past. I am actually quite relieved because my version is almost done. The accessory is still located in the files section of the Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group, but if you want me to just mail you a copy feel free to PM me!

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:05 pm

Seethyr wrote:71 views at this time with no responses completely confirms my suspicion that absolutely nothing has been done about this area in the past. I am actually quite relieved because my version is almost done. The accessory is still located in the files section of the Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group, but if you want me to just mail you a copy feel free to PM me!
Heh, I missed the thread ;) As far as I know, the area is undeveloped officially. I'd assume it'd be a fantasy version of South America (jungle in the east & north, mountain empire in west, open plains in south). <shrug>
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:29 pm

night_druid wrote: Heh, I missed the thread ;) As far as I know, the area is undeveloped officially. I'd assume it'd be a fantasy version of South America (jungle in the east & north, mountain empire in west, open plains in south). <shrug>
Definitely the way I'm going with it. I've been researching South and Central American myth for weeks now because of this undertaking and I am flat out amazed how much applicable goodness is out there. There are some myths and legends that just scream "bring me into gaming," and I can't imagine why no one has used them before.

Just as an example, check out this myth about the serpents Kai Kai and Tren Tren. It's in Spanish but you can make out the story using context clues and a quick Google search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4IxHMAkJmk

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:13 am

The Lopango: Land of the Holy Sun accessory is only a few weeks from completion. If anyone is interested in creating some of their own PrCs, Monsters, Magic Items, Adventure Hooks, Locations or any other goodies you might want to be included in the final product, please send them on over!

Lopango has been given an "Inca feel" to it, and you may want to check out its history and what has been done so far. :)

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:50 am

Here's a preview of one of the new races located in the Lopango Accessory...

EMPEROR SCORPIONFOLK: Many myths surround the scorpionfolks’ history and are passed down through word of mouth because they have no written language. The myths themselves are incredibly important to the race and are taught to each new generation with underlying religious tones.

The most well known myth, and the only to be mentioned here, is the life of the one time hero and current god known as Vulkoon. In ancient times, the emperor scorpionfolk were not so different from their northerly Tlincalli cousins. Far larger in size, but typically less aggressive and fervent in the worship of their multi-deity pantheon or the obyrith lord Obox-Ob, this branch of the race typically served as brute force during primeval wars. Everything changed under the leadership of the mortal barbarian Vulkoon. Vulkoon was fierce and barbaric, but unlike many of his kin, seemed to care for the welfare of others of his kind.

When Rr'ikin'aka, a tanar’ri lord who fancied himself the King of Scorpions made a play for the devotion of the scorpionfolk, Vulkoon and his powerful retinue assisted Obox-Ob and the Chattering Prince, Tharzax (another minor demon lord) entrap the would be usurper. Forever after, Rr'ikin'aka was unreachable in the Wells of Darkness on the 73rd layer of the Abyss. A lesser known part of the legend among the Tlincalli mentions that Vulkoon was set up as bait for the trap. Obox-Ob lost his servant’s loyalty when the last of Vulkoon’s broodmates were slain that day.

Vulkoon’s dissent only grew in the following years as Obox-Ob grew more careless with his worshippers and demanded too many a sacrifice. The other scorpionfolk gods seemed unconcerned with this abuse so in disgust, Vulkoon led those who had grown to worship him far to the south where he ended up in the Underdark of Lopango. Upon the time of his death, the mass worship of his people allowed Vulkoon to ascend to the status of a demigod. His new progeny, birthed not long after their arrival in Lopango, became a line of unbroken kings and they took the title originally assumed by vanquished Rr'ikin'aka. Ancestors of Vulkoon, known as the King of Scorpions, or Scorpion King, have ruled ever since.

The scorpionfolk have thrived and adjusted to peace amongst themselves, but their relationship with other races, interlopers all in the scorpionfolk mind, has been at the very best of times strained. They ignored the giant-folk whose obsession with gold knew no bounds, but rarely did the mountain race come into contact with the Scorpion King’s people. Centuries later, mankind arrived led by their sun god, and peace here too could have lasted were it not for the Great Flood. Their kingdom was far belowground, but the deluge was so vast that even so far below, the caverns filled. The majority of adult scorpionfolk survived, but many broodlings were drowned in the deepest of chambers. In fact, so many young ones were slain, that they became known to the scorpionfolk as the “Lost Generation.”

After many years of war with mankind over their assumed involvement in the Flood, the reigning Scorpion King Krikata’en finally called a truce. To this day, many scorpionfolk still blame mankind, but others know the true culprits were the greedy giants of the mountains (and their vengeful deity). Now all three races distrust the other, but at least open warfare has been averted.

The orcs came many centuries later, and were followed almost instantly by the duplicitous drow. Unlike the giants and mankind, the intentions of the orcs have never been questioned. In fact, the orcs sought to make slaves of all scorpionfolk they encountered, but the typical scorpionfolk would rather slit its own throat than find itself enslaved. While the few settlements that lay within the jungles were eradicated by the orcs, war on a grander scale has been avoided due to the relative separation of the two races.

The drow, beaten and weary from years of wandering, arrived less than a decade after the vile orcs. Initially, the Scorpion King Je’ra’krik in an unprecedented show of mercy, welcomed the drow within their warrens despite the objections of his advisors. He nearly paid for his kindness with his life, as the drow attempted to turn his people against him, and made their own play for power. The drow did not count on the scorpionfolks’ loyalty to one another taught to them long ago by their hero-god Vulkoon, however, and the drow were chased screaming all the way to the surface. Knowing of the orcs existence in those lands, the scorpionfolk left the drow to their fate.

A lesser race, as hostile and vile as the orcs themselves, has made themselves known to the scorpionfolk in recent years. These diminutive manfolk, who call themselves “gnomes,” have attempted to sacrifice young scorpionfolk to their horrid deity of all that is dead and undead. In this conflict, and in the continued skirmish with the jungle orcs, the scorpionfolk have found more in common with the other races of Lopango every day. If the Scorpion King, a powerful but ancient barbarian sorcerer known as Grikataw sees wisdom in alliance, for the first time in history the scorpionfolk may see their neighbors as something other than potential enemies.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:52 pm

Seethyr wrote:The Lopango: Land of the Holy Sun accessory is only a few weeks from completion. If anyone is interested in creating some of their own PrCs, Monsters, Magic Items, Adventure Hooks, Locations or any other goodies you might want to be included in the final product, please send them on over!

Lopango has been given an "Inca feel" to it, and you may want to check out its history and what has been done so far. :)
Woot!

Sorry I've not been around for a while. Do you need a hand getting the word out?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:36 am

@Seethyr, what's the status of Lopango?
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Azaghal wrote:@Seethyr, what's the status of Lopango?
Lopango is actually completed and up in the files section of "Maztica Alive!" As soon as the Monster Manual is done, however, I plan on rewriting the netbook and making a nice pdf out of it. I won't change any of the information, just its presentation in v2.0.

Hope you enjoy it!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:53 am

Seethyr wrote:
Lopango is actually completed and up in the files section of "Maztica Alive!" As soon as the Monster Manual is done, however, I plan on rewriting the netbook and making a nice pdf out of it. I won't change any of the information, just its presentation in v2.0.

Hope you enjoy it!
You need to get a Facebook page for Maztica Alive up if you are going to be making more PDFs. If I can get people to sign up, and you put the word out about this, it might be possible for us to help find someone who will design cover art for you.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:47 am

Big Mac wrote:
Seethyr wrote:

Hope you enjoy it!
You need to get a Facebook page for Maztica Alive up if you are going to be making more PDFs. If I can get people to sign up, and you put the word out about this, it might be possible for us to help find someone who will design cover art for you.
I suspect once on Facebook cover art will be no problem.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:17 am

Performing a bit of necromancy here, but Lopango is being redone. Here is a link to the art that will be used for its cover.

Intiri, the Sun God of the Natican

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:22 am

Really, I don't think Alien vs. Predator has anything on what an artist I'm working with for Lopango has done here. Here is the Yaggol vs. Anadjiin!

Now if only I could write like he paints lol... :)

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:14 pm

The final netbook is up in my sig. It comes along with a medium length dungeon crawl. Hope you all enjoy it!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:42 pm

That is one sexy jungle drow!
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:04 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:That is one sexy jungle drow!
I have yet to see one that isn't :lol:

PNutRaygs
Orc

Post by PNutRaygs » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:18 pm

This is totally cool Seether. Scribd seems to be having issues though right now.

And by the way. Your drow art is hot, but of course the Natican warrior has a giant pot belly! Can you do something about the artwork for the ladies? Sheesh. ;)

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:16 pm

PNutRaygs wrote:This is totally cool Seether. Scribd seems to be having issues though right now.

And by the way. Your drow art is hot, but of course the Natican warrior has a giant pot belly! Can you do something about the artwork for the ladies? Sheesh. ;)
Lol thank you, and I'm sorry. But you're right, looks like the warrior had a few too many llama burgers...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:14 pm

I finally grabbed this. :oops: I've got some catching up to do. It looks great from the initial skim.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Big Mac wrote:I finally grabbed this. :oops: I've got some catching up to do. It looks great from the initial skim.
Oh good, I hope you enjoy it :D . Sorry there are no stats in the adventure for the encounters. That was sheer 100% laziness on my part.

EDIT: And if I ever find some time to do so, I will work them out...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Seethyr wrote:Sorry there are no stats in the adventure for the encounters. That was sheer 100% laziness on my part.

You might want to get them done, so that you can get this sent to Candlekeep and not have to get them to replace their copy later.

Perhaps you could do your working out in this thread, if you would like some help.

BTW: I posted this on my Facebook page and The Piazza's facebook page and have had some positive feedback in both places (including: "HOLY MYSTRA! THIS IS THE MOTHER LOAD!").

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:46 am

Fascinating work all truth be told, I will have to look it over in detail and see what I can convert to Pathfinder. It definitely fits with something I'm working on.

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:48 am

And for those that are curious I lam looking at this http://www.krewehar.com/project.html to combine with Maztica stuff as well as the Serpent Skull AP for a campaign to run in October 2012.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Seethyr wrote:Sorry there are no stats in the adventure for the encounters. That was sheer 100% laziness on my part.

You might want to get them done, so that you can get this sent to Candlekeep and not have to get them to replace their copy later.
Do you think creating a separate "errata" supplement to all the netbooks might be a viable alternative? I noticed some glaring mistakes in my first few books (for example, some stats in the Monster book are wrong...I gave undead a Con score!!! :roll: )

Kodyax wrote:Fascinating work all truth be told, I will have to look it over in detail and see what I can convert to Pathfinder. It definitely fits with something I'm working on.
Big Mac wrote: BTW: I posted this on my Facebook page and The Piazza's facebook page and have had some positive feedback in both places (including: "HOLY MYSTRA! THIS IS THE MOTHER LOAD!").
This is so nice to hear and the fact that others still love the setting makes it just too much fun to develop. :D

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:39 am

Maztica fits in with he theme I want to accomplish with the adventure I plan to run. True I'm going more for Mayan than anything else but it does fit.

Return to “Maztica”