Maztica Myth 1

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Seethyr
Couatl

Maztica Myth 1

Post by Seethyr » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:25 am

Okay, you may consider this a bizarre idea, and this thread might go absolutely nowhere, but I still want to give it a try.

I am a school teacher and school has just recently begun once again for the year. An English teacher I am close with started her first day of class with a "team building" activity that I thought looked like so much fun and I have to see if it will work here.

She wrote a sentence on the blackboard and each student added a sentence, one at a time, until they eventually developed a story. The story was bizarre, but they had a blast doing it.

Well, why not try something similar here. Here's the rules...

1) The story will end in exactly one month from the time of this first post. There wont be an exception to this. If our story comes to a logical conclusion before the months time, so be it, but we will not go overtime.

2) There is no need to keep out other chatter if we use a different color for the actual text. Any color will do other than the standard black.

3) Each contribution can be as long or as short as desired, but try to avoid hijacking the entire plotline. 1-2 Paragraphs at a time are ideal, more may take away from a lot of the fun.

4) Include artwork that fits with your text if you feel like it.

When the month is up, I will compile the text and art(only editing glaring spelling/grammar errors, most of which I'll make myself I'm sure) and mail it to anyone who wants me to in addition to putting it in the files section of the Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group. I am hoping to develop a "myth" that is told in Maztica by its varied peoples. More information than that may ruin the idea.

Well here goes...

Long ago before he fled the land in shame, the great god Qotal had fallen in love with a mortal woman and lavished upon her great gifts of pluma. The womans pale blue diamond eyes were unlike any seen in the land before, and upon his first sight of her vast beauty, Qotal realized that he must have her.

OMG though, as I write that I'm saying to myself, "please people, keep your minds out of the gutter :lol: :oops: :lol: "
Last edited by Seethyr on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Re: Maztica Myth 1

Post by Seer of Yhog » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Could be fun!

But Qotal knew that if he wished to woo the mortal woman, he would have to come to know her, for there would be consequences if he simply took her. So, he decided to take a number of forms, in order to watch her secret, and learn who she was. The problem, however, was choosing the proper disguise.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

PNutRaygs
Orc

Post by PNutRaygs » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Haha awesome. Think I remember doing this in school. Also I just finished the novels so I have some ideas.

First he took the form of a radiant butterfly, but she paid the creature little heed. Then a simple yet beautiful macaw, but she found his call to be irritating. Finally, he chose the form of the great couatl, but from this serpentine form, she ran in fear. Even the beautiful necklace, anklet and headdress of pluma the couatl offered would not earn her trust.

In desperation, he turned to Plutoq. From his stony brother he begged for advice.
Last edited by PNutRaygs on Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNutRaygs
Orc

Post by PNutRaygs » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:18 pm

I cant quite figure out how to post an image. Everytime I try using the full message editor it asks me for the link to the photo, which I paste, but it says " It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." Does anyone know how to fix that? I will include the link here anyway.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... x=55&ty=71

I'm also going to use her as my avatar ^_^

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:33 pm

This could be great fun.He brother told him. "Little brother if you really want her to love you, you must go to her as one of her race."
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:07 pm

Azaghal wrote:This could be great fun.He brother told him. "Little brother if you really want her to love you, you must go to her as one of her race."
Im so glad this is being given a shot. Already, it has headed in a direction I hadn't intented whatsoever, which is perfect!

Not that it matters much, but I think Qotal is big bro ;)

So Qotal took the form of a human and readied himself to approach the girl a final time. Plutoq stopped him, however and said, "Wait brother! It is true that you appear as one of her kind, but do you not see the obvious nature of your divinity? If you truly wish her to consider you for love, you must hide not only your face."

Qotal pondered his brothers words and was thankful of the warning, if not a bit ashamed for not himself realizing this would be so. So Qotal took much of his divinity and power and hid it in a beautiful talisman of pluma, which he wore around his dark brown human neck.

I also edited the original text just a smidge. Im thinking the title Diamond Eyes might be the overall name of the myth/story.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:19 pm

PNutRaygs wrote:I cant quite figure out how to post an image. Everytime I try using the full message editor it asks me for the link to the photo, which I paste, but it says " It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." Does anyone know how to fix that? I will include the link here anyway.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... x=55&ty=71

I'm also going to use her as my avatar ^_^

That was a strange encoding, but I managed to save it (with a bit of fiddling), and put it into my photobucket account.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

PNutRaygs
Orc

Post by PNutRaygs » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:26 am

Sweet, thanks you for the help posting BlackBat242!

When Qotal finally approached the woman he called Diamond Eyes, for he knew not her name, those bright blue orbs of hers pierced his soul in a way none had before. He knew that there was nothing that she could ask of him that he would not give. So when her eyes settled on his pluma talisman, Qotal briefly knew fear.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:32 am

I like where this is going, keep it up whooo!

BTW, how did you get the art uploaded here? I've had troubles doing so myself. I try to use the amazing art I find on deviantart, but it never allows me to.

Without his pluma talisman and its sequestered divinity, Qotal knew he would be vulnerable to the predations of his dark brother Zaltec. Certainly, Zaltec had expressed his jealousy of the favored child before. If Zaltec were to know of Qotal's temporary weakness, or worse yet, sieze the talisman from Qotal's beloved, their agelong enmity could come to an abrupt and violent end.

So Qotal was faced with a choice. Would he chose love and accept the accompanying vulnerability? Was his love for Diamond Eyes potentially worth his own immortal existance?

LOL, I don't know which way I want Qotal to go from here, someone help!!! :P ;) If I was Qotal, and the woman in the art you posted really was Diamond Eyes, I can tell you what choice I'd make :oops: .

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:18 am

I saved the pic* to my AD&D Maztica setting folder, then uploaded it to my photobucket account.

I then copied the "img" code from there, and pasted it into the post here.

You have to make sure that the height & width are within the pixel limit this board has... I've had to shrink an image or two (using my image editor) to get them to fit before.

*I had to right-click & select "view image", then right-click & select "save as". Just doing right-click & select "save image" didn't work... the image data saved in an unusable format for my computer.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Qotal being a God looked deeply into the character of Diamond Eyes and believed that she was everything he could ever want in a lover, but still he hesitated would she know of the power she would have settled about her perfect neck.......

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:32 am

And so the deed was done and Qotal threw caution to the wind. He placed the necklace upon that perfect neck. At this precise moment he also embraced the woman and when he had done so, immediately realized the error of his choice.

I'm scared for poor Qotal!

Be nice to him :lol:

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:40 am

Qotal as a man.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:58 am

Qotal realized that her outward beauty was not matched by her soul.

PNutRaygs
Orc

Post by PNutRaygs » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:21 pm

For when he moved to kiss her, Diamond Eyes laughed in a voice that echoed of emptiness, lies and an endless nothing. Qotal felt suddenly hollow and weak. Vulnerable from the loss of much of his divinity, he could could feel an almost human pain when the emptiness burst from her body and laid waste to the land around her. Diamond Eyes also was no more and in her place stood a dark creature, one previously unknown in these lands, but spoken of in Maztica's darkest legends. Shar, the Goddess of Loss had made herself known in the True World and had stolen much of what Qotal was.

Thanks again for helping me figure out how to upload pictures. Here is Shar as she appeared in Maztica so long ago. Hope you like this Seether ;)

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:12 am

Qotal reeling in the pain of his lost divinity and the horror of what he had unleashed upon the land ran for cover. He had to get away from this and find a way to fix this.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:41 am

PNutRaygs wrote:I cant quite figure out how to post an image. Everytime I try using the full message editor it asks me for the link to the photo, which I paste, but it says " It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." Does anyone know how to fix that? I will include the link here anyway.
In addition to the Photobucket option BlackBat242 used, another way to do it (the way I usually use) is to go to an image hosting site like Imageshack. From there, you can either download it directly from your desktop/storage media, or put the url of an image you find online. Then it will give you the code that you can cut and paste into your post.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:55 am

Wow, Pnut, that is some piece of artwork!

He knew that he could not defeat Shar in his weakened state, nor could he chase her from the body of his mother Maztica. Somehow he needed to get the talisman back. This task, Qotal knew he could not do alone, and so he turned to the only one he knew could help. To defeat one so evil he required the assistance of one equally as foul. It was time to turn to his dark brother Zaltec for help.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:45 am

Turning to Zaltec for help was not a good idea but, it was a necessity. Knowing that Zaltec would 1st laugh at him for his foolishness he steeled himself to call upon his brother.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:45 am

Zaltec watched his brother approach as he engorged himself on fresh hearts. "Ahh brother!" He laughed. "Seems as if you are not yourself these days. Could it be that your weakling priests have not been as fervent as they may have once been? Let me tear out their hearts and we could feast together."

Qotal could barely hide his disgust as Zaltec took another bite and pink drool fell from his lips. "Little brother." And he stressed the word little. "I require your assistance, and no, it has nothing to do with my priests. They continue to worship me with love that you could never understand, for it is far more powerful than the fear you are so fond of."

"You seek my help and yet you insult me? Come, tell me what has you so troubled and explain to me why I should not tear out your own heart right here and now. It has been long since I tasted the blood of my own kin and I'm sure yours would be as delectable as that of our mother's."

PNutRaygs
Orc

Post by PNutRaygs » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:05 am

Yikes, time's running out eh?

Qotal ignored the jibe, for he knew the sanctity of the True World hinged on his brother's help. As he explained the woman he formerly knew as Diamond Eyes, the loss of his talisman, and her true identity as the dark goddess Shar, Zaltec's entire demeaner began to change, much to Qotal's surprise and cautious delight.

"She dares!" Zaltec growled with the voice of a thousand jaguars. "Yes brother, I will avenge you. but know that our alliance has nothing to do with so foolish a notion as my caring for what has become of you. No, for Shar's act is one of pure evil, and evil my dear brother, belongs to me!"

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:45 am

Poor Qotal still had much to fear, what if Shar won or worse still what if his brother decided to keep Qotal`s powers for himself.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:54 pm

And so wary but determined, Qotal led his brother to the dark lands where he last encountered the Goddess of Night. There she sat upon a throne of ash and bone, ever the image of loss and hatred. She smiled at the approach of the brothers, a rare expression from one that knew only darkness and the cold comfort of the void.

"Welcome, children of the interloper Kukul and his bitch wife. Apparently there is something of yours which I currently have in my possession."

Qotal began, "Return it to me, Maiden of Loss. These lands are not to be fouled by your presence any long..."

"Prepare yourself for the oblivion you cherish so much!" growled Zaltec as he swung his maca at her head, interrupting Qotal mid sentence.

Before the maca could make contact, Shar disappeared and much to the brothers' surprise, left behind the talisman containing so much of Qotal's essence. Not understanding why, nor caring at this point, both brothers grabbed for the talisman as the former allies immediately regained their former relationship as dire enemies.

Upon grasping the talisman, however, the brothers were cursed with a vision. Their sister, Kiltzi, was revealed to them tending one of her many vast gardens. At first the vision was from a distance that her features were hidden to them. As the moments passed the image grew closer and clearer until she finally turned to face them. Most startling of all, Qotal noticed a feature of his sister's that he never noticed before, her sparkling Diamond Eyes.

Sorry I kind of ran away with this post this time, but I saw a nice way to angle this into canon Maztican myth and I ran with it. :oops:

I also found the perfect theme music to run with the legend. ;)

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Only 5 days to go!

PNutRaygs
Orc

Post by PNutRaygs » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:25 am

With the vision spent, the power faded from the talisman and with it Qotal's power returned. Zaltec howled it rage at the unfairness of it all and swore revenge upon his brother before disappearing. Qotal quicly forgot Zaltec's threat, Shar's recent presense and even the destruction she had wrought in her brief tenure in the True World. His mind became uncommonly focused on his sister Kiltzi and the beauty in her eyes. How he had not recognized her from the start, he did not know, nor care to. For now he was of only one mind. He must have his sister! He must have Diamond Eyes!

From her dark realm, Shar laughed at the sight of it all. Lady Loss had succeeded in bringing all of her favorite emotions to the so called True World with unreasonable ease. "Amateurs," she mused as she watched Qotal first grow lustful, then jealous, then possessive over his own sister. Within time he would commit a great sin and loss would take its rightful place as master in Maztica.

So glad I just read the boxed set and the novels a short while ago, I think I know exactly where your going with this. Were you leading up to Qotal's violation of Kiltzi? If not, your more than welcome to PM me to delete or edit this. I feel bad ending it! This was a great idea btw, and I hope we start up a new one soon.

Return to “Maztica”