Maztica Myth 1

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Seethyr
Couatl

Re: Maztica Myth 1

Post by Seethyr »

PNutRaygs wrote: So glad I just read the boxed set and the novels a short while ago, I think I know exactly where your going with this. Were you leading up to Qotal's violation of Kiltzi? If not, your more than welcome to PM me to delete or edit this. I feel bad ending it! This was a great idea btw, and I hope we start up a new one soon.

PNUTRaygs, that is perfect! Exactly where I was going with this, though I was trying to angle for a happier ending, or possibly some vision of "hope" in the darkness. Come to think of it though, I like this better. There is nothing good in what Qotal did to his sister, so this story really should end dark.

As far as being the one to finish it, don't worry a second! I'm so glad you did. Well, here's a link to some art by Boris Vallejo that I think fits Qotal and Kiltzi perfectly. I'm not actually going to post the art, just the link though, because it does show a bit of flesh :oops: :shock: :oops:

Qotal Seduces Kiltzi (Diamond Eyes)
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog »

WARNING! The link is NOT work friendly!
--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Yes, tried to warn about it. Boris Vallejo art can get, uh, interesting...
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

PNutRaygs
Orc

Post by PNutRaygs »

Sad that this is over. Starting up another soon? After all this was Maztica Myth 1

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

This is brilliant.

It would be nice if the completed story could be posted at the end of this thread, for people to read in one go.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal »

Sure Big Mac just ask for someone to do that too. :) Actually it would be a good idea.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr »

Here it is! I'll try to edit in the artwork at some point too.

Long before he fled the land in shame, the great god Qotal had fallen in love with a woman and lavished upon her great gifts of pluma. The woman’s pale blue diamond eyes were unlike any seen in the land before, and upon his first sight of her vast beauty, Qotal realized that he must have her.

But Qotal knew that if he wished to woo the mortal woman, he would have to come to know her, for there would be consequences if he simply took her. So he decided to take a number of forms in order to learn of the woman and woo her.

The problem, however, was choosing the proper disguise. First he took the form of a radiant butterfly, but she paid the creature little heed. Then a simple yet beautiful macaw, but she found his call to be irritating. Finally, he chose the form of the great couatl, but from this serpentine form, she ran in fear. Even the beautiful necklace, anklet and headdress of pluma the couatl offered would not earn her trust.

In desperation, he turned to Plutoq and from his stony brother he begged advice. Plutoq told him. "Brother, if you really want her to love you, you must go to her as one of her own. So Qotal took the form of a human and readied himself to approach the girl a final time. Plutoq stopped him, however, and said, "Wait brother! It is true that you appear as one of her kind, but do you not see the obvious nature of your divinity? If you truly wish her to consider you for love, you must hide not only your face."

Qotal pondered Plutoq’s words and was thankful for the warning, but was also a bit ashamed for not realizing this himself. So Qotal took much of his divinity and power and hid it in a beautiful talisman of pluma, which he wore around his dark brown human neck.

When Qotal finally approached the woman he called her Diamond Eyes, for he knew not her name. Those bright blue orbs of hers pierced his soul in a way none had before. He knew that there was nothing that she could ask of him that he would not give. So when her eyes settled on his pluma talisman, Qotal briefly knew fear.

Without his pluma talisman and its sequestered divinity, Qotal knew he would be vulnerable to the predations of his dark brother Zaltec. Certainly, Zaltec had expressed his jealousy of the favored child before. If Zaltec were to know of Qotal's temporary weakness or worse yet, seize the talisman from Qotal's beloved, their age long enmity could come to an abrupt and violent end.

So Qotal was faced with a choice. Would he chose love and accept its accompanying vulnerability? Was his love for Diamond Eyes potentially worth his own immortal existence? Qotal looked deeply into the character of Diamond Eyes and believed that she was everything he could ever want in a lover, but still he hesitated in fear should she discover the power settled about her perfect neck.

Qotal threw caution to the wind and he placed the necklace upon her. At that instant he also embraced the woman and when he had done so, Qotal realized the error of his choice. Her outward beauty was not matched by her dark soul!

When he moved to kiss her, Diamond Eyes laughed in a voice that echoed of emptiness, lies and the endless nothing. Qotal felt suddenly hollow and weak. Vulnerable from the loss of much of his divinity, he could feel an almost human pain when the emptiness burst from her body and laid waste to the land around her. Diamond Eyes also was no more and in her place stood a dark creature, one previously unknown in these lands, but spoken of in Maztica's darkest legends. Shar, the Goddess of Loss had made herself known in the True World and had stolen much of what Qotal was.

Reeling in the pain of his lost divinity and the horror of what had been unleashed upon the land, Qotal ran for cover. He had to get away and find a way to fix this.

He knew that he could not defeat Shar in his weakened state, nor could he chase her from the body of his mother Maztica. Somehow he needed to get the talisman back. This task, Qotal knew he could not do alone, and so he turned to the only one he knew could help. To defeat one so evil he required the assistance of one equally as foul. It was time to turn to his dark brother Zaltec. Enlisting Zaltec was not wise but it was a necessity.

Knowing that Zaltec would first laugh at him for his foolishness he steeled himself to call upon his brother. Zaltec watched his brother approach as he gorged himself on fresh hearts. "Ahh brother!" He laughed. "It seems as if you are not yourself these days. Could it be that your weakling priests have not been as fervent as they may have once been? Let me tear out their hearts and we could feast together."

Qotal could barely hide his disgust as Zaltec took another bite and pinkish drool fell from the dark brother’s lips. "Little brother,” Qotal stressed the word little, "I require your assistance, and no, it has nothing to do with my priests. They continue to worship me with love that you could never understand, for it is far more powerful than the fear you are so fond of."

"You seek my help and yet you insult me? Come, tell me what troubles you so and explain to me why I should not tear out your own heart right here and now. It has been long since I tasted the blood of my own kin and I'm sure yours would be as delectable as that of our mother's."

Qotal ignored the threat, for he knew the sanctity of the True World hinged on his brother's help. As he explained the woman he formerly knew as Diamond Eyes, the loss of his talisman, and her true identity as the dark goddess Shar, Zaltec's entire demeanor began to change, much to Qotal's surprise and cautious delight.

"She dares!" Zaltec growled with the voice of a thousand jaguars. "Yes brother, I will avenge you! But know that our alliance has nothing to do with so foolish a notion as my caring for what has become of you. No, for Shar's act is one of pure evil, and evil my dear brother, belongs to me!"

Poor Qotal still had much to fear. What if Shar won or what if his brother decided to keep the talisman and its powers for himself?

Wary but determined, Qotal led his brother to the dark lands where he last encountered the Goddess of Night. There she sat upon a throne of ash and bone, ever the image of pure hatred. She smiled at the approach of the brothers, a rare expression from one that knew only darkness and the cold comfort of the void.

"Welcome, children of the interloper Kukul and his bitch wife. Apparently there is something of yours which I currently have in my possession."

Qotal began, "Return it to me, Maiden of Loss. These lands are not to be fouled by your presence any longe..."

"Die bitch!" growled Zaltec as he swung his maca at her head, interrupting Qotal mid sentence.

Before the maca could make contact, Shar disappeared and much to the brothers' surprise, left behind the talisman containing Qotal's divinity. Not understanding why, nor caring at this point, both brothers grabbed for the talisman. The former allies immediately regained their relationship as dire enemies.

Upon grasping the talisman, however, the brothers were cursed with a vision. Their sister, Kiltzi, was revealed to them tending one of her many vast gardens. At first the vision was from such a distance that her features were hidden to them. As the moments passed the image grew closer and clearer until she finally turned to face them both. Kiltzi was shockingly beautiful and both brothers flushed with lust. Most startling of all, Qotal noticed a feature of his sister's that he never noticed before…her sparkling Diamond Eyes.

With the vision spent, the power faded from the talisman and with it Qotal's power returned. Zaltec howled in rage at the unfairness of it all and swore revenge upon his brother before disappearing. Qotal quickly forgot Zaltec's threat, Shar's recent presence and even the destruction she had wrought in her brief tenure in the True World. His mind became uncommonly focused on his sister Kiltzi and the beauty in her eyes. How he had not recognized her from the start, he did not know, nor did he care to. For now he was of only one mind. He must have his sister! He must have Diamond Eyes!

From her dark realm, Shar laughed at the sight of it all. Lady Loss had succeeded in bringing all of her favorite emotions to the so called True World with unreasonable ease. "Amateurs," she mused as she watched Qotal first grow lustful, then jealous, then possessive and obsessive over his own sister. Within time he would commit a great sin and loss would take its rightful place as master in Maztica.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Return to “Maztica”