Maztican Dungeon Crawl

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Seethyr
Couatl

Maztican Dungeon Crawl

Post by Seethyr » Thu May 19, 2011 12:35 am

If you've ever seen the movie From Dusk till Dawn, the last scene panned out and showed that the bar that most of the movie had taken place in was actually the top level of a large step pyramid. Apparently, this is where all the vampires in the movie came from.

I am going to try and adapt that theme to a dungeon crawl (albeit very loosely) if there is any clamor for me to continue. Basically, the dungeon crawl is going to revolve around an inn located near (but not too near) an Amnian or Waterdhavian settlement. Looks inviting but of course all the employees are vampires or their werejaguar servants (werejaguar from Monsters of the True World). If the vamps are defeated, they head back down to their coffins in gaseous form to recuperate as the sun rises. The PCs have to march through level after level (7 in total including the "inn") until they get to the coffins on the ground level, and hopefully they do it before the next sunset.

I'll stop by occasionally to detail rooms and include more maps of the different levels. The first is posted below along with some outside views.

Really, this is just giving me an excuse to play around further with Google Sketchup. I had some free time at work today and I am supposed to learn how to use the program so I figured I'd have fun tinkering while working at the same time.

Step Pyramid Outside Front

Step Pyramid Outside Rear

Step Pyramid Top View

All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: Maztican Dungeon Crawl

Post by Seethyr » Thu May 19, 2011 12:36 am

Here's the first level map. I'll throw in some details when I write them...

Step Pyramid First Floor

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu May 19, 2011 1:42 am

HELL YES!!!
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu May 19, 2011 1:44 am

In Area 3 there is a door in the upper left that leads to a storage area (and the lower levels of the pyramid as shown in The Hangman's Daughter).

Social Media

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu May 19, 2011 10:56 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:In Area 3 there is a door in the upper left that leads to a storage area (and the lower levels of the pyramid as shown in The Hangman's Daughter).
Heh, I didn't even think of a way downstairs. Thanks for the storage idea, but I might actually move it to the second floor. I guess there is a trapdoor just under the bar from room 2.

Also, I got the intro done today along with the first level and a working title. When the second level is up, I think the "crawl" part of this dungeon crawl should really begin...

Blood Offering

Introduction:

The invasion of Maztica by Amn and the other opportunistic Faerunian nations that followed was considered disastrous for the True World. However, not all of the “locals” have suffered and some have even figured out a way to use it to their benefit.

The word “locals,” in one particular case, refers to an ancient band of vampires, their spawn, and werejaguar servants. In their long existence, the vampires have never found feeding to be so simple a task.

Blood Offering by day is a vibrant and rowdy tavern that is set far off of the beaten path. DMs should place the tavern relatively close to a well-travelled route, but far enough away that only those who leave the route can find it. The interesting fact is that the tavern is not at all what it appears to be and is in fact the top level of an ancient step pyramid. The remaining levels are all buried belowground.

The outer walls of the tavern appear to be made of ancient crumbled stone, but they are decorated in garishly clichéd Maztican imagery. The sounds that come from the hall are indicative of taverns anywhere on mainland Faerun, and intoxicated revelers stumble in and out of the front gate at all times of the day.

DMs should find a reason why the PCs end up in this tavern off the beaten path. Perhaps inclement weather or even rumors of sightings of the beasts of the Viperhand on the major road led them to the Tavern itself. This “tourist” trap is only meant to be found by those who are lost in the first place.

Adventure background:

For centuries, Xopitl, his vampire spawn, and a pack of werejaguar have occupied a great step pyramid created close to a thousand years in the past. Though the werejaguar grow old and die while Xopitl lives on, the pack considers Xopitl an aspect of the deity Zaltec himself, and new pack members are indoctrinated into the “religion.”

For centuries, Xopitl and his spawn have relied on the werejaguar to capture Mazticans and bring them to both he and his spawn to feed. The setup has worked for ages, but when the newcomers arrived, feeding became even simpler. Now, with the believable ruse of a rowdy tavern, the vampire and his minions hide in plain sight. Potential meals drink and enjoy nightly entertainment while Xopitl and his servitors find victims that will not be missed.

Encounters

Level 1 (Blood Offering Tavern): Though rough, there is little to distinguish the Blood Offering Tavern from being exactly what it claims to be. There are frequent fights due to the clientele but Otto is certainly effective at keeping the peace.

The evening’s entertainment begins with Gawati’s sacrifice. Patrons are seated in the performance hall by the barmaids as the sun begins to set. When the last rays of light disappear outside, Baxcalta appears in a flash behind the blackened altar in the hall. He does this through a combination of alchemical pyrotechnics and a return from gaseous form to solid form. Much to the delight of onlookers, he then “sacrifices” Gawati after saying a few theatrical prayers to Zaltec (see performance hall description below for details). Onlookers believe this to all be part of an illusion or act, but Gawati’s pain is real. The proud werejaguar never makes a sound during the process.

Later in the evening comes feeding time for the vampire spawn and occasionally the vampires themselves. Otto closes the front exit and bolts the door from the outside which effectively traps patrons inside. The other werejaguars disappear into the bolthole behind Sweet Layalli’s bar. Even they cannot stand to see the horror that is soon to ensue.

Once the tavern is clear of werejaguar, twelve vampire spawn led by Baxcalta materialize from gaseous form and begin to feed. Outside, Otto (in jaguar form) is sure to keep wanderers from getting close enough to hear the screams inside Blood Offering.

Baxcalta (CE male human vampire priest (Zaltec) 4): See Player’s Handbook and Monster Manual
Vampire Spawn (12): See Monster Manual

If the PCs survive the battle, Gawati is the first werejaguar to return to the tavern, though he is badly wounded (5 hp remaining), he still warns them that they need to prepare for the arrival of the other werejaguars. He will not aid them in this battle as he still considers them to be part of his pack (and his injuries are just too great), but he realizes that Otto and the three female werejaguars are fanatics so he will not begrudge the PCs their destruction. Gawati claims that they typically reenter the tavern to clean up shortly after all the screams haves died down.

Gawati also explains that the tavern is simply the top level of a grand pyramid that has long since sunk into the earth or been covered by it through the centuries. He also claims that there is an even more powerful vampire who claims to be Zaltec that rests on the lowest level of the pyramid. According to Gawati, the ancient vampire will certainly send the entire werejaguar pack after the adventurers who defeated his “high priest” Baxcalta, and there are many, many more werejaguars than those currently in the pyramid.

If the PCs want to truly be free of the vampire threat, they need to find their coffins and stake stake them as they sleep. Baxcalta’s coffin also lies below and he may come back to once again fight the PCs depending on the method of his defeat the first time.

Finally, Gawati hands the most diplomatic of the PCs his golden bracelets (total worth 400 gp) and ring of regeneration. The ring’s worth is obvious but he claims that many more werejaguar are loyal to him than the vampires had suspected, and seeing the bracelets may save the PCs some unnecessary battles below (any werejaguars encountered from this point forward are treated as one step higher in their reaction to the PCs. Hostile becomes threatening, friendly becomes helpful, etc.)

Room 1 - Bouncer: Otto is not a common name for a native Maztican, but few who see the seven foot mountain of a bouncer would dare to question him. Otto is in fact a human werejaguar and if things go wrong in the tavern he will be sure to join the fray.

Otto (CE male human werejaguar barbarian 5, Str 19): See Player’s Handbook and Monsters of the True World

Room 2 – Tavern Hall: Two werejaguar serving maids run the main tavern while Sweet Layalli works the bar. These three female werejaguars work quite well together if battle breaks out as Sweet Layalli supports the two fighters with her bardic abilities.

The room also contains 4-16 patrons at any time of the day or the beginning of the evening. Typically off duty Amnian or Waterdhavian mercenaries (1-4 LN fighter 1) are mixed into the commoners. They will fight for their lives should it come time for the jaguars or vampire spawn to attack, but will do little more than serve as a distraction.

Sweet Layalli serves many of the typical beverages associated with Faerunian taverns. If she notices patrons who flaunt power, however, she will attempt to slip a local tastless herb into their drinks known as hakani into their drinks. This mild ingested poison causes a reaction visibly similar to drunkedness but in fact causes 1d4 points of inital and secondary wisdom damage. A 3'x3' trapdoor leading to the lower levels of the pyramid is located behind her bar against the wall. It is hidden, but still quite easy to Spot (DC 10).

Sweet Layalli (LE female human werejaguar bard 5): See Player’s Handbook and Monsters of the True World
Barmaids (2) (LE female human werejaguar fighter 3): See Player’s Handbook and Monsters of the True World

Room 3 – Performance Hall:
The evening’s entertainment begins in this chamber just as the sun goes down. Gawati is a werejaguar who years ago attempted to free the pack from Xopitl’s influence. Along with a few loyal werejaguar, he attempted to slay Xopitl by staking him in his sleep. Unfortunately, he had no knowledge of the guardians in the head vampire’s chamber.

From that day forward, Gawati has paid for his crime on a nightly basis. The werejaguar is forced to wear a ring of regeneration as he is sacrificed to Zaltec each and every evening. The vampire priest of Zaltec known as Baxcalta performs this sacrifice to within a few inches of Gawati’s life every evening. The spilt blood pleases Zaltec, even though the sacrifice is not complete. Of course, patrons believe it is all just a part of the show.

Gawati (N male human werejaguar ranger 6; Possessions: ring of regeneration): See Player’s Handbook and Monsters of the True World

PNutRaygs
Orc

Post by PNutRaygs » Thu May 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Sweet setup and maps! How do the vampire spawn get into room 3? Were they in gaseous form the whole time?

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon May 23, 2011 5:52 pm

This is very cool Seethyr! I love seeing what Google Sketchup can really do!
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue May 24, 2011 12:31 am

Chimpman wrote:This is very cool Seethyr! I love seeing what Google Sketchup can really do!
Oh good, glad you like it. Two more maps are done and I should have them up tomorrow evening. Also going to edit monsters a bit to keep my cr consistent.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 am

I’m having some problems posting the images of the next few floors, it says something about not being able to determine the size of the images...

No biggie, I’ll just post links to the images themselves and edit this if I figure out what is going on.

MODERATOR EDIT (by Big Mac): This was related to a problem we had with the V3 server that Ashtagon fixed when we migrated to the V4 server. I've added the images back into your post for you.

There are going to be some changes to the adventure too. The 11 vampire spawn (currently says 12, but it will be changed) form an EL11 encounter so I am thinking this adventure is appropriate for levels 9-11. I also want to set level 3 on down as being under a forbiddance spell. After all, if the PCs find out the head guy is on the bottom floor, there isn’t much to stop them from finding a magical mode of transport to skip the crawl downwards.

LEVEL 2

Werejaguars and Storage

This floor will be the primary residence of the werejaguar (well, the few who choose to live indoors anyway) as well as food and beverage storage in areas 5 and 6.

LEVEL 3

Coffins and Elemental

The rooms labeled 9 will be where the spawn “live” in their coffins. The rest obviously has a bit of an elemental theme. Unfortunately, neither the water, nor the lava can be very deep due to the fact that the ceilings started off kind of low.

LEVEL 4

Minotaurs

Going to throw some classed Minotaurs in here, I’m thinking of making one a jaguar knight :-) and shoving a vampire template on another. The T is representing a named minotaur I’m working on.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Seethyr wrote:If you've ever seen the movie From Dusk till Dawn, the last scene panned out and showed that the bar that most of the movie had taken place in was actually the top level of a large step pyramid. Apparently, this is where all the vampires in the movie came from.
I managed to miss this thread, during a busy period, but this idea is awesome!

Have you considered making a NPC that is a Maztican cleric that abandoned his faith after the Amnians invaded and "destroyed his civilisation"? Or would that be too cheesy? :P

I remember thinking that the end twist of From Dusk Till Dawn was really interesting, but it kind of doesn't make sense. A step pyramid like this would have been a central part of a large settlement. You need to create (if only for yourself or the GM) a lost city that has this pyramid at its centre.

The city needs to be buried at some point in the past. Perhaps (at some stage) you could create a pure-Maztican back story where the city (it needs a name) gets founded, grows and then is buried (or rather mostly buried) under the ground.

Perhaps you could have the city get buried by an accident, like a mudslide caused by a nearby hill collapse during heavy flooding.

Before this point, you want to have an era where the city is a fairly conventional one, occasionally fighting flower wars with other settlements in order to obtain captives for sacrifice.

How about building a horseshoe shaped set of hills and low mountains around an area where the city can grow up. The open side of the horseshoe could face the sea or a water fall or some other feature that blocks the entrance of other tribes. The settlers can find the ways in and out of the "hidden valley" within these hills/mountains and build a new community that eventually thrives.

The tops of these hills can have several lakes that originally feed into rivers that flow away from the city. The original inhabitants can struggle to get by in a community that mostly has stagnant marshes as a source of water. As time goes on the settlers could build up foundations in the middle of the marshes and create solid land to live on.

The engineers of the city can cut one or two watercourses to feed channels of water into their city. This can give everyone fresh water and allow the city to grow. It can also flood the marshes and turn them into a set of lakes around the city. Raised roads can be built across these lakes to the land around the mountains and hills and the city could look like it is in the centre of a spider-web (with both roads and water channels crossing the lakes to get to the city at the centre.

Eventually the city could grow, with workers cutting blocks out of the nearby mountains and creating support pillars, additional street paving and beautiful buildings. But as it does grow, there could be a demand for more and more water.

Engineers could look to a gigantic hill nearby, one that has a lake larger than any of the other lakes that feed into the city. They could embark on an ambitious plan to cut a channel through the hill that is deep enough to divert the water from flowing away from their city and feed the water into an aqueduct that travels down towards their home.

Something can go wrong with the calculations. Either they cut the channel in the hill too low or they don't notice that the nearby side of the hill is unstable or a giant storm overwhelms their new system and causes it to fail. But whatever happens, the water breaks out of the stone channels held aloft by mighty pillars and starts to rush down the hillside towards the city. More and more earth breaks away and soon the entire lake is pushing away at the hillside and causing it to collapse in a mudslide that buries most of the valley.

The city is destroyed in a single night. Buried, by mud. Its giant temple shields some of the buildings on the far side, but many of those are washed away by water and the remaining buildings are left at the bottom of a large muddy hill. The survivors unable to escape up the muddy cliffs that block half of their valley. The only way up, can be the unburied side of the step pyramid that has stopped most of the mudslide.

As time goes on, you could have the mud dry out and the unburied part of the village could get hidden by plants that grow in the thin layer of mud that covered the pavements and low buildings.

I don't know if this idea* is any use to you, but it could provide you with a few outlying buildings for your werejaguars to use, as well as a way to have Maztican wise men pass on legends of a "lost city". You could even put another temple down there (maybe an almost totally buried one) and stick in some magic items that can be used against vampires. (And if you are lucky, a legend of a "lost city" could also be a plot hook that makes Amnians search for a "lost city of gold".) Obviously it would need a rewrite to fit in with the stuff you want to do (assuming it is usable).

* = This is based, in part, on something I read in the novel Aztec.
Seethyr wrote:I am going to try and adapt that theme to a dungeon crawl (albeit very loosely) if there is any clamor for me to continue. Basically, the dungeon crawl is going to revolve around an inn located near (but not too near) an Amnian or Waterdhavian settlement. Looks inviting but of course all the employees are vampires or their werejaguar servants (werejaguar from Monsters of the True World). If the vamps are defeated, they head back down to their coffins in gaseous form to recuperate as the sun rises. The PCs have to march through level after level (7 in total including the "inn") until they get to the coffins on the ground level, and hopefully they do it before the next sunset.
I take it that "loosly" means you will be dropping the strip club references and toning it down a bit. There is another film called Vamp that has a similar theme to the bar in From Dusk Till Dawn. Perhaps you might want to raid a few ideas from that.

I quite like the idea of pretty serving girls being werejaguars. If you are going to alter things, have you considered adding a brothel to the bar somehow? If you had vampire or werejaguar prostitutes, then that would allow the bar to "harvest" a small number of Amnian and Maztican men, without always needing the sort of big bar battle that you see in From Dusk Till Dawn. Perhaps they could kill a few men on a regular basis, but have a big feast on special occasions. If you think that idea could be useful, then perhaps you could put in an upper floor at the end of the room that doesn't have the stage.

In From Dusk Till Dawn, the film managed to tell an entire story without going below the ground level. If you design this right, you could have one adventure at bar level and have a follow up adventure that does the dungeon crawl thing. (That would allow a GM to have a group fight vampires and werejaguars and run away in the morning, but still "finish" something.)
Seethyr wrote:I'll stop by occasionally to detail rooms and include more maps of the different levels. The first is posted below along with some outside views.

Really, this is just giving me an excuse to play around further with Google Sketchup. I had some free time at work today and I am supposed to learn how to use the program so I figured I'd have fun tinkering while working at the same time.
Nice to get paid to do RPG research. I had to sit outside a room for a couple of hours in the summer (in case people had problems with the equipment) and was either reading Aztec or a Greyhawk novel. :cool:
Seethyr wrote:Step Pyramid Outside Front

Out of interest, is this the original top of your step pyramid, or a structure built on top of the ruins?

If it is the original top, I think that there would have been one or two structures on its roof, that were used for human sacrifice (or other rituals) when the pyramid was not buried. It might be nice to stick some Maztican things onto the roof, but have the people disguising the pyramid as a bar build a false facade to make the building look like something the Amnians have built in other towns. If you do something like this, then PCs that climb onto the roof could work out that the building is unusual before walking to the back and looking down the "cliff". The sides of the bar, and the front of the cliff face could mostly be overgrown with plants put there to discourage people from approaching the "cliff", but you could have a couple of paths though the undergrowth, so that anything like an abandoned Amnian wagon can be pulled through and pushed over the edge of the cliff. (I say this mostly as the original picture had lorries over the cliff edge and horse drawn wagons could be a substitute.)
Seethyr wrote:Step Pyramid Outside Rear

I think that the pyramid should have gigantic staircases going up each side. Ones that sacrificial victims could walk up and heads can be thrown down. The rear staircase could be the only one that didn't get buried. The front staircase could be cut away by the people building the fake bar facade (although you could leave a few steps leading up to the new front door.
Seethyr wrote:Step Pyramid Top View

That is just asking for a few things like altars or idols to be placed on top. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:In Area 3 there is a door in the upper left that leads to a storage area (and the lower levels of the pyramid as shown in The Hangman's Daughter).
Heh, I didn't even think of a way downstairs. Thanks for the storage idea, but I might actually move it to the second floor. I guess there is a trapdoor just under the bar from room 2.
He's right. IIRC, the storage area is also where From Dusk Till Dawn had the priest, his kids and one of the bank robbers hole up and search for things they can use to attack the vampires. The priest made some holy water at this point. They stuck it into water pistols. I doubt that you want to do that, but there could be some trade goods in crates. If people are stopping off as they travel along the new Amnian road, then some of them must be carrying wagons full of things they want to sell in another town.

In the past, the victims could be pochtéca (travelling merchants), the porters that carry their goods and guards that accompany them. So you could stick in a few bundles of goods that are going out of fashion after the Amnian invasion.

A small defensible area could be a useful place for the PCs to retreat to if they are facing a TPK. If they could last out until morning, they could make a rush for the front door and the vampires would not be able to follow them. They could then make a fighting retreat (against any werejaguars that chase them) and try to get back onto the road and get to the next town before the next sunset.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:58 am

The adventure needs some major reworking, and I'm definitely going to keep these suggestions in mind. I have since learned a bit more about sketchup, so the maps are probably going to be completely redone (with more "theme oriented" Aztec decorations on that top level. Some problems I realized on these maps were that there is no room for floors between levels, the rooms themselves are too short, and like you said, the pyramid really needed steps. I've done a little bit of a better job for the step pyramid I'm including in Lopango and I hope my redo comes out more like this...

Also, I finished reading Obsidian Butterfly and I want to include as much inspiration from that book as I do Dusk till Dawn. I highly recommend the novel, but let me warn you it is pretty dark at some points (not to spoil anything but I had to skip the pages describing the nursery attack).

Finally, I also got a piece of art for the cover that the artist was kind enough to let me use. Since the adventure is based around werejaguars and Aztec vamps I think it fits perfectly...

Rivers of Mictlan by Turbofanatic

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 am

Love the new images Seethyr! This is coming along quite nicely!

Social Media

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:27 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Love the new images Seethyr! This is coming along quite nicely!

Thank you! I have redone the buried temple though (today at work...shhhhhh ;) ) This one can be worked with a little more accurately.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:46 am

Seethyr wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Love the new images Seethyr! This is coming along quite nicely!

Thank you! I have redone the buried temple though (today at work...shhhhhh ;) ) This one can be worked with a little more accurately.

<snip>
:o Awesome, love it! :ugeek:

Social Media

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:47 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Seethyr wrote:

<snip>
:o Awesome, love it! :ugeek:
Please understand that I rolled all 1s in artistic talent. I will sing the praises of Google Sketchup until my dying day.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:31 pm

Seethyr wrote:The adventure needs some major reworking, and I'm definitely going to keep these suggestions in mind. I have since learned a bit more about sketchup, so the maps are probably going to be completely redone (with more "theme oriented" Aztec decorations on that top level. Some problems I realized on these maps were that there is no room for floors between levels, the rooms themselves are too short, and like you said, the pyramid really needed steps. I've done a little bit of a better job for the step pyramid I'm including in Lopango and I hope my redo comes out more like this...
The Yagrel Temple looks great! (Hope that name is not a spoiler! :twisted: )
Seethyr wrote:Also, I finished reading Obsidian Butterfly and I want to include as much inspiration from that book as I do Dusk till Dawn. I highly recommend the novel, but let me warn you it is pretty dark at some points (not to spoil anything but I had to skip the pages describing the nursery attack).
I didn't skip any of Aztec, but there were a few pages where I checked to see that no commuters were reading it over my shoulder! :o
Seethyr wrote:Finally, I also got a piece of art for the cover that the artist was kind enough to let me use. Since the adventure is based around werejaguars and Aztec vamps I think it fits perfectly...
Rivers of Mictlan looks great. Shame it is landscape instead of portrait. Are you going to build a frame around it (to make it work the normal way for a book) or crop it?
Seethyr wrote:

(Well you are learning how to do this, so you can do stuff for work.)

I love the buried bits of stairs down the side of the cliff. They really help sell it as a burried temple (and should also function as a way to get up and down the side of the cliff).
Seethyr wrote:Please understand that I rolled all 1s in artistic talent. I will sing the praises of Google Sketchup until my dying day.
I think there are a number of us here who need to improve our artistic talent. I know that I do. I figure that we can work together and help give each other shortcuts. Silverblade (who does a lot of Spelljammer, Dark Sun and Forgotten Realms 3D art has given out a few tips over the years).

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:18 am

Big Mac wrote:
The Yagrel Temple looks great! (Hope that name is not a spoiler! :twisted: )
Most certainly is :lol: . Ended up using it for the adventure worked into Lopango.
Big Mac wrote:
I didn't skip any of Aztec, but there were a few pages where I checked to see that no commuters were reading it over my shoulder! :o
Whoah! Who needs pornography when you have historical fiction?!! :oops:
Big Mac wrote:
Seethyr wrote:Finally, I also got a piece of art for the cover that the artist was kind enough to let me use. Since the adventure is based around werejaguars and Aztec vamps I think it fits perfectly...
Rivers of Mictlan looks great. Shame it is landscape instead of portrait. Are you going to build a frame around it (to make it work the normal way for a book) or crop it?
I'm really not sure yet. I think I'm really going to have to test both ways, but I'm leaning towards the frame.
Big Mac wrote: I think there are a number of us here who need to improve our artistic talent. I know that I do. I figure that we can work together and help give each other shortcuts. Silverblade (who does a lot of Spelljammer, Dark Sun and Forgotten Realms 3D art has given out a few tips over the years).
There are workshops available all over by me for Google sketchup. I'm hoping to see if I can continue to combine work and play.

Tom Kalbfus
Troll

Post by Tom Kalbfus » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Ever consider using some ideas from Raiders of the Lost Ark for traps? The first scene took place in South America after all.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:33 pm

Tom Kalbfus wrote:Ever consider using some ideas from Raiders of the Lost Ark for traps? The first scene took place in South America after all.
That's a great idea. I think you just designed the last room I'll work into the adventure. Instead of going out the same way they came in, the PCs will find an old passageway under the head vampire's coffin that leads down a long ancient tunnel with a certain recognizable rolling boulder...

On another note, this adventure, when complete, is going to be attached to and part of the True World Campaign Setting.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Tom Kalbfus wrote:Ever consider using some ideas from Raiders of the Lost Ark for traps? The first scene took place in South America after all.
That's a great idea. I think you just designed the last room I'll work into the adventure. Instead of going out the same way they came in, the PCs will find an old passageway under the head vampire's coffin that leads down a long ancient tunnel with a certain recognizable rolling boulder...

On another note, this adventure, when complete, is going to be attached to and part of the True World Campaign Setting.
:lol:

If you must do that, perhaps you might want to look into the Costa Rica's stone spheres to see if you can build spheres into the local culture.

Louis_bowwow
Orc

Post by Louis_bowwow » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:02 pm

You could take a chapter out of the Dresden Files books and introduce the Red Court Vampires into Maztica. You could call them Maztican Vampires. If you are not familiar with them, they basically look human, with all of the vampire abilities. When they want to vamp-out, they turn into these bat-like creatures that mix human and bat features. This would be a good opportunity to introduce Camazotz into the pantheon aswell. You could throw in the story that the civilization was in decline. The gods would not listen to the priests(maybe in disfavor). To "save" their city they made a deal with a dark god(Camazotz) to live forever(vampirism). Then the priest-hood started feeding on their own populace and destroyed their own culture quicker. Over the years the vampires city gets overgrown and falls into legend. They feed on the occasional explorer/adventurer, until they run into a pack of werejaguars. They decide to recruit them instead of eat them and use the werejaguars to lure more prey to the temple. That is when your adventure kicks in.

That way we have an adventure, some local history, a new god and a new monster.

Just a thought.

Nate

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Big Mac wrote: If you must do that, perhaps you might want to look into the Costa Rica's stone spheres to see if you can build spheres into the local culture.
Whoah, had no idea those things existed. Reading a bit of the blurb in your link makes me think there could be "further adventures" that connect to the Great Skyhome. Perhaps even an Atlantis type connection.
Louis_bowwow wrote:You could take a chapter out of the Dresden Files books and introduce the Red Court Vampires into Maztica. You could call them Maztican Vampires. If you are not familiar with them, they basically look human, with all of the vampire abilities. When they want to vamp-out, they turn into these bat-like creatures that mix human and bat features. This would be a good opportunity to introduce Camazotz into the pantheon aswell. You could throw in the story that the civilization was in decline. The gods would not listen to the priests(maybe in disfavor). To "save" their city they made a deal with a dark god(Camazotz) to live forever(vampirism). Then the priest-hood started feeding on their own populace and destroyed their own culture quicker. Over the years the vampires city gets overgrown and falls into legend. They feed on the occasional explorer/adventurer, until they run into a pack of werejaguars. They decide to recruit them instead of eat them and use the werejaguars to lure more prey to the temple. That is when your adventure kicks in.

Just a thought.

Nate
That is fantastic and I am most certainly going to adopt it! What do you think of this alteration as well...

The "Maztican Vampires" who worship Camazotz (whose name will likely change in the spirit of Maztica's penchant for doing so i.e. Qotal vs Quetzalcoatl) originally start off much like Faerunian's standard vamps. If they are not fed regularly, however, they either sleep away the ages or become feral and batlike as the vampires do in Daybreakers or as you mentioned the Dresden Files. Vampires who manage to stave off the feral transformation gain in power throughout the centuries and the leader of the entire pack is quite powerful indeed.

There are influences here from a lot of sources then. The novel Obsidian Butterfly, the movie Dusk 'til Dawn and Daybreakers/Dresden all get a bit of a nod here.

This is getting me really excited to get to it already!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Big Mac wrote:If you must do that, perhaps you might want to look into the Costa Rica's stone spheres to see if you can build spheres into the local culture.
Whoah, had no idea those things existed. Reading a bit of the blurb in your link makes me think there could be "further adventures" that connect to the Great Skyhome. Perhaps even an Atlantis type connection.
I'm glad to point you at something useful.

If you want to connect these to The Great Skyhome, they could be burned up meteorites, that are melted into perfect spheres as they fall from the sky. Perhaps they might be associated with the Tears of Selune.

If you want to make an Atlantis link, then perhaps there could also be stone spheres on the bottom of the seabed. That could give you an excuse to have a culture that existed on Maztican lands and on lands that are now below the sea. You could use a Mysterious Cities of Gold plot to drop clues that there are a lot of cities that are "missing" and that they could be in a variety of places.
Seethyr wrote:
Louis_bowwow wrote:You could take a chapter out of the Dresden Files books and introduce the Red Court Vampires into Maztica. You could call them Maztican Vampires. If you are not familiar with them, they basically look human, with all of the vampire abilities. When they want to vamp-out, they turn into these bat-like creatures that mix human and bat features. This would be a good opportunity to introduce Camazotz into the pantheon aswell. You could throw in the story that the civilization was in decline. The gods would not listen to the priests(maybe in disfavor). To "save" their city they made a deal with a dark god(Camazotz) to live forever(vampirism). Then the priest-hood started feeding on their own populace and destroyed their own culture quicker. Over the years the vampires city gets overgrown and falls into legend. They feed on the occasional explorer/adventurer, until they run into a pack of werejaguars. They decide to recruit them instead of eat them and use the werejaguars to lure more prey to the temple. That is when your adventure kicks in.

Just a thought.

Nate
That is fantastic and I am most certainly going to adopt it! What do you think of this alteration as well...

The "Maztican Vampires" who worship Camazotz (whose name will likely change in the spirit of Maztica's penchant for doing so i.e. Qotal vs Quetzalcoatl) originally start off much like Faerunian's standard vamps. If they are not fed regularly, however, they either sleep away the ages or become feral and batlike as the vampires do in Daybreakers or as you mentioned the Dresden Files. Vampires who manage to stave off the feral transformation gain in power throughout the centuries and the leader of the entire pack is quite powerful indeed.

There are influences here from a lot of sources then. The novel Obsidian Butterfly, the movie Dusk 'til Dawn and Daybreakers/Dresden all get a bit of a nod here.

This is getting me really excited to get to it already!
I love Louis_bowwow's twist on this. It is less of a clone and more of a Mezoamerican idea. :cool:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:08 pm

Seethyr wrote:If you've ever seen the movie From Dusk till Dawn, the last scene panned out and showed that the bar that most of the movie had taken place in was actually the top level of a large step pyramid. Apparently, this is where all the vampires in the movie came from.
From Dusk till Dawn has now been adapted into a TV series, From Dusk till Dawn: The Series. I'm still watching series one (so no spoilers please) but there is a lot of additional information that has been added (as well as some reboots to the plot of the movie).

I think you might want to check it out, to see if you can get some additional inspiration for your adventure.

Return to “Maztica”