What would you like to see next from "Maztica Alive!."

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.

What would you like to see completed for the next "Maztica Alive!" project?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:44 am

The Land of the Holy Sun: A Guide to Lopango *
17%
Claw and Venom: The Scorpionfolk of the True World *
8%
Myths and Legends of the True World
8%
Remnants of the Past: Ruin based Adventures in the True World
25%
Blood Offering Adventure*
8%
Islands of the True World
17%
The Great Pyramid: Maztica and Planescape
8%
Fangs and Feathers: A Guide to Hishna and Pluma Magic
8%

Total votes: 12

Seethyr
Couatl

What would you like to see next from "Maztica Alive!."

Post by Seethyr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:44 am

After completing The Great Skyhome netbook (link in my signature), I have been wondering what people might want to see come out of “Maztica Alive!” next. Please choose any three. :)

The titles above are briefly described below and show up on a few other posts. The ones I have marked with an asterisk already have a first version or a significant percentage already worked on, so they will likely be able to be completed more quickly than the others.
Any feedback is appreciated!

1. The Land of the Holy Sun: A Guide to Lopango - Thorough investigation of the southern subcontinent of Lopango and its diverse races and peoples.

2. Claw and Venom: The Scorpionfolk of the True World - Guidebook to the societies of the scorpionfolk of the True World. Includes the short adventure module, The Den of Scorpions. Also provides additional detail on the Underdark of Maztica.

3. Myths and Legends of the True World - Detailed events and stories from the True World’s past told by the Most Honored Father and sage of Payit. Includes game information of creatures, people and items from each individual tale. Includes the tale of Diamond Eyes and the myth of Kai Kai and Tren Tren among others.

4. Remnants of the Past: Ruin based Adventures in the True World - A collection of ruin based scenarios set in the True World including The Ruins and The Ruins of Esh Alakar.

5. Blood Offering – The first full length Maztica Alive adventure. A dungeon crawl set in an ancient step pyramid where Maztican vampires and their werejaguar servants prey upon unsuspecting “tourists.”

6. Islands of the True World - Guide to the lands and inhabitants of the numerous islands surrounding the True World including Lopango Payos, and even Maztica’s own version of “Monster Island,” among others.

7. The Great Pyramid: Maztica and Planescape - A guidebook to Maztica’s unique cosmology and its ties to the rest of Faerun.

8. Fangs and Feathers: A Guide to Hishna and Pluma Magic - A comprehensive guidebook to the magic of the hishnashapers and the plumaweavers including spells and items of all levels of power.

9. The Scales of War: The Underwater Realms of the True World - A guide to the underwater realms and kingdoms near the shores of the True World. Includes kingdoms of the sahuagin and the vast merman sunken kingdom Nu.

I almost included a number 10 in this, which is a generic set of rules ( a Player’s Handbook/DM’s guide if you will) for Maztica in general, but David Schwartz over at Paizo has already done so much of this. If anyone knows how to contact him, PLEASE help me contact him. I’d love to compile his material into one netbook given his permission, and alter or add to it in parts.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

PNutRaygs
Orc

Re: What would you like to see next from "Maztica Alive!."

Post by PNutRaygs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:11 pm

I would definitely vote for any adventures and scorpion folk are awesome.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:26 pm

None of the above. What I'd prefer is a systemless write-up of Maztica.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:None of the above. What I'd prefer is a systemless write-up of Maztica.
Very interesting thought. Do you mean an update of the original setting with no stats in any edition? Essentially a "basic set" of Maztica and it's lore?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:13 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:None of the above. What I'd prefer is a systemless write-up of Maztica.
Very interesting thought. Do you mean an update of the original setting with no stats in any edition? Essentially a "basic set" of Maztica and it's lore?
Yes.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Louis_bowwow
Orc

Post by Louis_bowwow » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:22 am

I would go for the underwater supplement. Any thoughts on tgecDagon worshipping shalarin in the Sea of Corynactis(just west of Maztica and Lopango)? I envision lots of sacrifices to Dagon on top of underwater pyramids.

If not the underwater realms then the Lopango book or the island book.

Nate

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:30 pm

I went for the ruined based adventures, though there are lots of interesting options here :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Louis_bowwow
Orc

Post by Louis_bowwow » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:01 am

What do you think of combining the Island book with the Underwater book? You could have the two parts separated as Life Above the Water and Life in the Depths. Detail all of the islands in the first part and then detail the undersea kingdoms in the second. I think that would make two small netbooks into one large one. Some of this stuff is part of the list I promised to write earlier. I will try writing what I can and hand it over for you to flesh out or change. I will write a rough table of contents and go from there. That would cross two books off of the list. Let me know if this is something you are interested in Seethyr.

Nate

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:15 am

Louis_bowwow wrote:What do you think of combining the Island book with the Underwater book? You could have the two parts separated as Life Above the Water and Life in the Depths. Detail all of the islands in the first part and then detail the undersea kingdoms in the second. I think that would make two small netbooks into one large one. Some of this stuff is part of the list I promised to write earlier. I will try writing what I can and hand it over for you to flesh out or change. I will write a rough table of contents and go from there. That would cross two books off of the list. Let me know if this is something you are interested in Seethyr.

Nate
I think that is a wonderful idea! Your thoughts on the Sea of Corynactis and the Dagon Worshiping Shalarin has me going too. If their culture ran parallel to the Nexalans except that they treated the worship of Dagon like the mainlanders do Zaltec, I think that makes for a great storyline.

I'd also like to work in as much Island Mythology as I can into this combined book. In Monsters of the True World, in fact, there are two monsters I'd also like to flesh out a bit more that come from real world myth. Chanansi (based off the spider known as Anansi) and Lusca from Bahamaan Mythology.

I've also seen some of your work on including other races like the Tortles. Perhaps even Anguillians (from Stormwrack) might fit in well here.

Please, I will gladly run with whatever you think would work. My own players have yet to decide to check the islands (like Lopango's Payos) out yet, and I'll be kind of rushed to whip something up if they do.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:35 am

An underwater book does sound interesting. Welcome to the Piazza Louis_bowwow! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:43 am

I'm still for a systemless campaign book.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:10 am

Quick update:

I'm simultaneously working on a few of these projects right now. As I hit writers block for one, switching to another seems to help a lot. I'm trying hard to use the poll (including the generic campaign book suggestion) however.

The update to Lopango is getting a lot of attention this week because I got permission to use some fantastic art for its cover and of all of the options, since it is mostly complete, this book would be the quickest.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:31 pm

There is always one person who has to be awkward! :P ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Seethyr wrote:I almost included a number 10 in this, which is a generic set of rules ( a Player’s Handbook/DM’s guide if you will) for Maztica in general, but David Schwartz over at Paizo has already done so much of this. If anyone knows how to contact him, PLEASE help me contact him. I’d love to compile his material into one netbook given his permission, and alter or add to it in parts.
Any luck contacting David Schwartz yet? What have you tried so far?

What are you hoping to do with this? I would personally like to see a netbook that does for Maztica what 3e's Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting did for Faerun.

I would even like to see a Maztica Campaign Setting netbook that followed a similar pattern to FRCS, with the same sort of chapters and sections and rules designed to make Maztican PCs that could be used in games in Faerun, as well as allowing for the import of PCs from Amn and other FRCS regions into a Maztican campaign. :cool:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:19 am

Big Mac wrote:
Any luck contacting David Schwartz yet? What have you tried so far?
Unfortunately no. I also haven't tried ultrahard, but I really don't know where to begin. Perhaps Facebook? If only I knew a Facebook pro...hrmmmm.... :lol:

Truth is, that part of it is imperative to getting anything going. He really already has done so much of the work and reinventing the wheel seems pointless. It's glad he got the Jaguar Knight and Eagle Knight published in Dragon but it makes it impossible to use now in the netbook. ;(
Big Mac wrote:
What are you hoping to do with this? I would personally like to see a netbook that does for Maztica what 3e's Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting did for Faerun.

I would even like to see a Maztica Campaign Setting netbook that followed a similar pattern to FRCS, with the same sort of chapters and sections and rules designed to make Maztican PCs that could be used in games in Faerun, as well as allowing for the import of PCs from Amn and other FRCS regions into a Maztican campaign. :cool:
This, combined with what TAD was looking for is almost exactly what I would have loved to have come up with. I briefly had contact with Douglas Niles (the setting's original author, who made an appearance on DF a while back) for some references that I could hopefully get in touch with again.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:08 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sometimes awkward is good! ;)
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:06 am

Seethyr wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Any luck contacting David Schwartz yet? What have you tried so far?
Unfortunately no. I also haven't tried ultrahard, but I really don't know where to begin. Perhaps Facebook? If only I knew a Facebook pro...hrmmmm.... :lol:
It would be good to be able to chat about Facebook sometime. Maybe we could arrange a time to have a realtime chat at some point.
Seethyr wrote:Truth is, that part of it is imperative to getting anything going. He really already has done so much of the work and reinventing the wheel seems pointless. It's glad he got the Jaguar Knight and Eagle Knight published in Dragon but it makes it impossible to use now in the netbook. ;(
True. But there are a lot of areas that have not been dealt with. You could create an outline, start with the bits that David Schwartz didn't do, initially put in "see this stuff by David Schwartz" as a placeholder for the bits he did and then replace them at the end of the project (if you can't find him to obtain permission).
Seethyr wrote:
Big Mac wrote:What are you hoping to do with this? I would personally like to see a netbook that does for Maztica what 3e's Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting did for Faerun.

This, combined with what TAD was looking for is almost exactly what I would have loved to have come up with. I briefly had contact with Douglas Niles (the setting's original author, who made an appearance on DF a while back) for some references that I could hopefully get in touch with again.
Considering that Maztica only got one shot, I think that it did pretty well. If the 2e version had followed an earlier 1e version it could have built on an existing foundation.

I think that a 3e Maztica Campaign Setting netbook could add in the sort of new inferred stuff that you have been working on. Maybe it will even be useful for 2e Maztica fans.
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Sometimes awkward is good! ;)
Sometimes awkward can be really brilliant. I think everyone should look at all the alternatives. Mind you, once a project is locked down, awkward can be a bit of a derail risk at times.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:09 am

The original list from the OP has been chopped down in some cases, completed in others and is ready to be updated. Here is the new list. I will try to provide some links to the different parts of each later with an edit, but as for right now I am digesting an entire turkey and I really can't write anymore. :oops: :( :oops:

1. Claw and Sting: The Scorpionfolk of Maztica

2. True World Campaign Setting

3. Islands of the True World

4. Anchorome

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:03 am

Seethyr wrote:....as for right now I am digesting an entire turkey and I really can't write anymore.
An entire turkey? That must have seriously distended your stomach!
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Tom Kalbfus
Troll

Post by Tom Kalbfus » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:30 am

The Maztica Setting doesn't seem to have as many islands for our would be "Pirates of the Carribean", as our Carribean does.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:43 am

Seethyr wrote:....as for right now I am digesting an entire turkey and I really can't write anymore.
Why do I get the strange feeling that Seethyr barbecued a turkey on the roof of a pyramid-shaped garden shed he built recently! :shock: :o
Tom Kalbfus wrote:The Maztica Setting doesn't seem to have as many islands for our would be "Pirates of the Carribean", as our Carribean does.
Judging by Auld Dragon's map of Abeir-Toril, it looks like "3. Islands of the True World" is going to have to be dealing with the curve of smaller islands to the north-east of Maztic, the two bigger islands to the north-east of Maztica and the few islands in the bay created by the curved bit of Maztica that spreads down the easten side of the main part of the continent.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 am

Big Mac wrote:
Why do I get the strange feeling that Seethyr barbecued a turkey on the roof of a pyramid-shaped garden shed he built recently! :shock: :o
Well, that is only after cutting out it's poor little turkey heart and giving Zaltec his due first :twisted: !

Big Mac wrote:
Tom Kalbfus wrote:The Maztica Setting doesn't seem to have as many islands for our would be "Pirates of the Carribean", as our Carribean does.
Judging by Auld Dragon's map of Abeir-Toril, it looks like "3. Islands of the True World" is going to have to be dealing with the curve of smaller islands to the north-east of Maztic, the two bigger islands to the north-east of Maztica and the few islands in the bay created by the curved bit of Maztica that spreads down the easten side of the main part of the continent.
There are some islands called the Brown Sisters found here, and the Lopango Payos located here. In one of the Candlekeep Compendiums, there is also an Island chain called the Waikaloni Islands (Hawaii/Fiji) and a chain of islands called the Punjabbi Archipelago which I'd like to work with. In my mind, anything written in the compendiums is as close to canon as homebrew can get.

Seethyr wrote:
3. Islands of the True World
Though this book is perhaps some distance away, I had thought this might make a decent working title...

White Sands and Turquoise Waters: The Islands and Seas of the True World.

Too long?

As louisbowwow had once suggested, to increase the value of this book, it could also include the underwater civilizations that exist nearby. The Sea of Corynactis has yet to be written up in the Realms along with its shalarin inhabitants, so that might make a great start. Louisbowwow also suggested they worship Dagon (I think there might be a canon reference to that somewhere).

EDIT: Found that "somewhere" right here.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Seethyr wrote:3. Islands of the True World
Though this book is perhaps some distance away, I had thought this might make a decent working title...

White Sands and Turquoise Waters: The Islands and Seas of the True World.
:cool: Love the sound of it! I've been jonesing for a Hawaiian themed rpg book for about a half a decade. This and the True World Campaign setting will be high on my list to be PoDified (private projects) though lulu.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:46 am

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote: :cool: Love the sound of it! .
Done then! It now has its title. :)

I've been jonesing for a Hawaiian themed rpg book for about a half a decade.
Me too! Maybe even longer here. I've heard some good things about Ierendi but I haven't really looked into it yet.

Somehow, in this one book I will try to throw just as much Caribbean lore in as well. I'm frankly tired of every Caribbean book I ever read always being about pirates. It's not that I hate pirates or pirate settings, it just makes people overlook the vast amount of native legends and magic that can be mined for a good supplement/setting.

I spent some time in Jamaica last summer and spent a good 2 hour ride talking with a bus driver about native legends. He told me about duppies and specifically about Rollin' Calf. My imagination for gaming potential ran wild. I did more research when I got home and found every island has its own potential. Xaymaca (Jamaica's original name in fact) might be the first island developed for this book.
This and the True World Campaign setting will be high on my list to be PoDified (private projects) though lulu
I have never checked out lulu (though I've heard of it many times here). I'm being a little lazy in investigating, but it seems like when you publish there, you actually sell your book. I used Scribd because it is free...I'll never actually charge for a book, particularly one that derives so much from published lore.

BlackBat242 wrote:Underwater civilization... worshipping Dagon... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFzdIaBn ... re=related

:lol:
If I were a deep one...blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub. Omg lol. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Maztica”