City of Brass 5e

The clack is some barmies think the great circle is about to disappear...
The Book-House: Find Planescape products.

Moderator: agathokles

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

City of Brass 5e

Post by Coronoides » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:31 am

While not officially Planescape The City of Brass (Frog God Games) was perfect to be added into any 3e Planescape campaign perhaps even as an alternative home base instead of Sigil. However, 3e was never the game for me. So I’m super excited about this new Kickstarter for a 5e version.
Planescape/Al Qadim cross-over anyone?
Have you played the 3e version? If so do you think it would work as a part of a Planescape campaign?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fr ... ref=8ki4lr
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: City of Brass 5e

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:19 pm

The third edition version is very good, with some fascinating sites and detail that could be added to other versions of the City of Brass.

Its cosmology isn't exactly the same as Planescape's (there's an extra elemental plane between Earth, Air, and Fire that's a major part of the boxed set, and there's an extra lower plane where Lucifer rules) and it presumes you begin the quest on the Material Plane. You'd probably either want to flesh out the Material Plane world that Dawaad and the prophet Sulymon are from, or else flesh out a planar origin for Sulymon, making him a prophet that wanders the planes, revered by many factions and honored by all celestials, who make pilgrimages to whatever planar settlement he stops at to hear his wisdom, rather than a resident of a mortal city. Perhaps the adventure begins not in the City State of Dawaad, but in Sigil itself, though I'd ignore the plot hook that involves the gods shutting off access to the afterlife in protest (which seems over the top even for Planescape) and deemphasize the centrality of the god Anumon (who is essentially Allah, and accidentally called that once or twice).

So there's some adaptation work required, either adjusting the Planescape cosmology to fit that described in City of Brass or adjusting City of Brass to fit the Planescape cosmology. Definitely doable. You could ignore the Plane of Molten Skies entirely (though there's a lot of detail on it) or accept that there's a region in the Inner Planes where Fire, Air, and Earth bleed together (which isn't that unlikely). You could adapt Necromancer Games' idea that a previous lord of the Nine Hells now rules an independent lower plane of his creation, or replace Lucifer with some other exiled lower planar lord (for example, Gargauth or Moloch).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:31 am
Have you played the 3e version? If so do you think it would work as a part of a Planescape campaign?
I've not played the 3rd Edition version, but there is a City of Brass (at least one) in the D&D Multiverse. I'm not sure how well it is documented in-house, so if the only thing we have is a Necromancer Games boxed set, I'd be tempted to look to that to see if it was Planescape compatible.

Are there any official D&D products for the City of Brass? Or is it a vague thing?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 pm
Are there any official D&D products for the City of Brass? Or is it a vague thing?
The official D&D version is very well detailed in the Secrets of the Lamp boxed set for Al-Qadim, in The Inner Planes accessory for Planescape, in the 3rd edition Planar Handbook, and in 4th edition's The Plane Below. It's not vague at all. I'd recommend Secrets of the Lamp, first and foremost.

The Impossible Eye, an adventure in the Legacy of Fire adventure path for Pathfinder, takes place in the City of Brass and has some detail. It also cites the Necromancer Games version (though it isn't exactly the same).

There's also a very different version detailed in Sir Robilar's City of Brass for Hackmaster.

But I should emphasize that I think Necromancer Games' City of Brass was very worthwhile.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:18 am

I've wanted to run this for several years. I'd had an eye on it when running a 4e Al-Qadim campaign, but the campaign came to a satisfying conclusion before we started traveling the planes. I may give it another try using 13th Age, now that I'm inspired by the art in the new Frog God Games version.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:40 am

Coronoides wrote:
While not officially Planescape The City of Brass (Frog God Games) was perfect to be added into any 3e Planescape campaign perhaps even as an alternative home base instead of Sigil. However, 3e was never the game for me. So I’m super excited about this new Kickstarter for a 5e version.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fr ... ref=8ki4lr
It would certainly work for an Inner Planes-focused campaign. Sigil is designed as a base for Outer Planar campaigns, and the Inner Planes are more difficult to reach.

GP

Digitalelf
Orc

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:39 pm

As I've mentioned in another thread, my experience using The City of Brass so far has been limited to the version as published in Secrets of the Lamp for 2nd Edition AD&D. But I have since collected most, if not all of the other RPG sources. It is my plan (should my current group of players wish to go there) to base my version of that city using the Secrets of the Lamp, but to incorporate elements from those other variations that I like. Doesn't look like that will be happening anytime soon however.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:02 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:39 pm
As I've mentioned in another thread, my experience using The City of Brass so far has been limited to the version as published in Secrets of the Lamp for 2nd Edition AD&D. But I have since collected most, if not all of the other RPG sources. It is my plan (should my current group of players wish to go there) to base my version of that city using the Secrets of the Lamp, but to incorporate elements from those other variations that I like. Doesn't look like that will be happening anytime soon however.
If you end up running such a campaign, I hope you'll create a thread explaining how you incorporate elements from the various versions of the City of Brass.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:41 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 pm
The official D&D version is very well detailed in the Secrets of the Lamp boxed set for Al-Qadim, in The Inner Planes accessory for Planescape, in the 3rd edition Planar Handbook, and in 4th edition's The Plane Below. It's not vague at all. I'd recommend Secrets of the Lamp, first and foremost.

The Impossible Eye, an adventure in the Legacy of Fire adventure path for Pathfinder, takes place in the City of Brass and has some detail. It also cites the Necromancer Games version (though it isn't exactly the same).

There's also a very different version detailed in Sir Robilar's City of Brass for Hackmaster.

But I should emphasize that I think Necromancer Games' City of Brass was very worthwhile.
Thanks Ripvanwormer.

Hopefully ALQ4 will come out in Print on Demand format fairly soon.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Just as a passing note, there is also a City of Brass in Magic: the Gathering (Rabiah). That's of course because all these settings refer to the super classic Arabian Nights stories, but this dooesn't mean that you can't loot the other settings that refer to the same archetypes for the benefit of your setting ;)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Planescape”