Characters from the Blood Wars CCG

The clack is some barmies think the great circle is about to disappear...
The Book-House: Find Planescape products.

Moderator: agathokles

lookatroopa
Goblin

Characters from the Blood Wars CCG

Post by lookatroopa » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Blood Wars, a short-lived collectible card game based off of the Planescape setting, features a small collection of characters seen (to my knowledge) nowhere else. After going through this fansite I believe I've singled out every one of them, but if I missed any or if some of these appear elsewhere give a heads up.
  • Aferoxxynomak: A rust dragon from Acheron.
  • Darktome the Arcanaloth: An arcanaloth from Khalas, Gehenna.
  • Ercid, Rudra's Vengeance: A marut enlisted by Rudra. I'm guessing this is supposed to be the same individual as the one mentioned in the marut's profile in the first Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix.
  • Exiraati: Apparently an entire species of "lesser" astral dreadnoughts that never got a writeup. Another card, Revenge of the Exiraati, shows one seemingly commanding a pack of cranium rats. The artwork used here also appeared, unlabelled, in the Sigil and Beyond book of the Planescape Campaign Setting boxed set.
  • Faaram the Slaadi King: A death slaad from Limbo. Could be interpreted as another Slaad Lord, or just a slaad that declared itself king in name only.
  • Gamakar the Studious: A "temporary leader" for the Free League, probably devised so that every faction in Sigil could have a warlord card, even the ones that don't have factols.
  • Gazra the Pit Fiend: A pit fiend from Baator.
  • Lazzaret the Brown: A human wizard from Oerth.
  • Lord Tenarrus: A balor from the Abyss.
  • Marisa: A human mage/thief from Toril.
  • Mellinos the Rrakkmal: A githzerai lord from Limbo. I don't think the term "Rrakkmal" is used outside of this card, maybe it refers to someone with great achievements in the Rrakkma.
  • Old Hannirian: An inhabitant of the Spire, Outlands. I can't identify what species, if any, this character is supposed to belong to. This art, like the Exiraati, also appeared in the Sigil and Beyond book.
  • Orryx: A shadow fiend from Cathrys, Carceri.
  • Perigon: A temporary leader of the Revolutionary League, in the same vein as Gamakar.
  • Phylaras: A bariaur lord from Ysgard.
  • Thomstel Maedarson: A human wizard from the Outlands.
  • Tokkarest Mercenary: A mercenary of an indeterminate species. Art is also from the Sigil and Beyond book.
  • Urial the Celestial Arrow: A solar from the Upper Planes.
  • Vadarther the Ultroloth: An ultroloth from the Wasting Tower, Gray Waste.
  • Xerxes the Vigilant: A per from the Upper Planes.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Characters from the Blood Wars CCG

Post by Havard » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Nice compilation! I never knew Blood Wars added any new lore. Are any of these characters mentioned in RPG products as well?

I wonder if Gazra the Pit Fiend could be the same Pit Fiend that observed Mystara during the events of the novel Dark Knight of Mystara...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:11 am

lookatroopa wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:19 pm
[*]Gazra the Pit Fiend: A pit fiend from Baator.
Gazra's been mentioned in a bunch of different places. His first appearance was in the Monstrous Compendium: Outer Planes Appendix in the entry for hamatula. "On Phlegethos, the fourth layer of the Nine Hells, the pit fiend Gazra lives in a crystal castle. He is the overseer of the first four layers of the Hells and as such carries great authority there. His primary army and guards are composed of hamatula—Gazra maintains an army of 5,000 of the creatures. He is also guarded at all times by 20 more of them with maximum hit points. It is known by the vile hamatula that loyalty to their pit fiend lord is the fastest way to obtain increased status."

In the Monstrous Compendium: Planescape Appendix Gazra's description is similar, adding that hamatula bring captured intruders to cells under Gazra's crystal castle for torture.

In Colin McComb's article "The Lords of the Nine" in Dragon #223, it's said the archdevil Fierana "prefers to lose herself in the boiling magma of her lands, letting the pit fiend Gazra govern; however, she's not foolish enough to let him have too much power, and she reminds him of her rightful position whenever she thinks he's planning on turning stag."

The 3rd edition Manual of the Planes mentions Gazra briefly, stating that he commands the hamatula and answers directly to Fierana and Belial.

In The Book of Vile Darkness, it says that "Gazra is Fierna’s constant companion and consort. While she luxuriates in magma-filled pools, he goes about many of the mundane affairs of state that she ignores. Levistus—through his servants—has attempted to convert Gazra to his camp on many occasions. Eventually, the pit fiend might indeed succumb to the temptations offered by Levistus. For now, he is loyal to Fierna. Should she ever turn her affections from him, however, things could change. Gazra is jealous and hateful toward Belial, but he keeps those feelings hidden." Gazra is given a full stat block here as an advanced pit fiend.

Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells states that Gazra dwells in the city of Abriymoch in Phlegethos, which is carved from obsidian and other crystalline rock. "He and his minions, many of them bone devils, police Baator’s four uppermost layers, searching for unauthorized intruders and checking the papers of both mortals and devils. Gazra ultimately answers to Belial, but he must also fulfill the policing demands of Bel, Dispater, and Mammon." A spined devil on page 54 claims "Gazra is past his prime—a weakling."
Havard wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:46 pm
I wonder if Gazra the Pit Fiend could be the same Pit Fiend that observed Mystara during the events of the novel Dark Knight of Mystara...
No, Gazra is too busy commanding the hamatula and running the mundane affairs of state that Fierna ignores. The Dark Knight probably serves a subordinate of Furcas.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:14 pm

I've never played a D&D based CCG.

Does Blood Wars have anythhing else that doesn't ex8st in other soruces (like new locations or new deities).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

lookatroopa
Goblin

Post by lookatroopa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:11 am
Gazra's been mentioned in a bunch of different places.
Huh, interesting! I didn't recognize the name and didn't think to look at the compendium entries of non-pit fiend baatezu.
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:14 pm
Does Blood Wars have anythhing else that doesn't ex8st in other soruces (like new locations or new deities).
No new deities or locations as far as I can tell, though there is some exclusive art of existing material that AFAIK hasn't been illustrated elsewhere.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:39 am

Gazra is also mentioned in Guide to Hell, which says he rules Abriymoch from "a castle of crystal statues." Guide to Hell states the notion that Fierana does nothing but bathe in magma while Gazra performs her duties is "a lie perpetuated by Fierana herself." She's a cunning politician who prefers to be underestimated. Some time in the past, after the ousting of Geryon and elevation of Levistus, Gazra led an invasion into Stygia at the command of Belial and Fierana, but Gazra's army was decimated by ice floes.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:14 am

And in 4e, he has a small mention as the ruler of Abriymoch in Phlegetos, in Dragon 362.

Return to “Planescape”