What changes if they redesign PS?

The clack is some barmies think the great circle is about to disappear...
The Book-House: Find Planescape products.

Moderator: agathokles

Seethyr
Couatl

What changes if they redesign PS?

Post by Seethyr » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:47 pm

I bought and fell in love with Descent Into Avernus. To me, it’s planescape’s awesomeness intermixed with greater realism (as real as a fantasy depiction of hell could be).

This made me think about what I’d like to see changed and/or added if it were to be updated to 5e. I think I’ll also talk a bit about what I’d really like them to keep just perfectly the same.

1. Keep the gods out of it. I mean, I don’t know if I’m the only one, but I got tired of the gods bopping around like they were just ultra powerful children. Yes, I know this happened in myth too (the Greeks particularly) but gods as monsters has never been my thing. Let them be there, but distant and unreachable. We are busy with the demon lords tyvm.

2. Give more of a sense of the infinite. Some planes made me feel like everything occurred within a 3 miles radius on an infinite plane. This just shouldn’t be. Travel should almost be irrelevant and when it was treated that way, it gave me the feeling we really were “ somewhere different.”

3. Please no normal behaviors. I’m not a big fan of the Star Wars cantina trope happening TOO often in the planes. Bars in hell? Well okay, but it should be an ironic oddity. This is a plane of eternal torment and it’s creature’s desire shouldn’t really be a good brewsky even if it’s made out of the tears of puppies or whatever.

4. Greater detail. That’s the one thing I really love about Descent is they made just ONE LAYER of one plane a full sized adventure. It was odd to have some of the omissions that it did, but the rest was fantastic.

5. Maintain Sigil’s importance. Now that was the spot for the cantina if there needs to be one. Gimme more Lady of Pain! Factions too.

6. I’d ramp up the power level and drop the sheer quantity of mortals that appear. There should be no way that a level 3 character could last more than a day in the Abyss.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: What changes if they redesign PS?

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:16 pm

I just picked up Descent into Avernus today. I have only flipped through it yet. I don't know if I would like to see Planescape redesigned. It would be cool to see a proper 5E sourcebook on the setting though to introduce modern audiences to it.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:28 am

Well, with 4E Ravenloft has already changed and the change was not retconned with 5E. This is one the huge beefs that I have with D&D now...the cosmology. D&D 4E made every Ravenloft domain an island of terror.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:24 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:28 am
Well, with 4E Ravenloft has already changed and the change was not retconned with 5E. This is one the huge beefs that I have with D&D now...the cosmology. D&D 4E made every Ravenloft domain an island of terror.
Yeah this change upset me very much.

I don’t typically like change at all to be honest. I particularly hate contradictions and will go to great lengths to try and avoid them.

On another note, I’d like to reconsider the concept of petitioners. From what I remember they behaved too much like normal folks would. I’d want to rethink their whole concept.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:49 am

Apart from the cosmology, which has already been changed, I'd see a significant reduction in factions. D&D5e designers would probably stick to post-Faction War events. And Sigil wouldn't play that important a role, as the centre of the multiverse; instead, it would act more like a hub (albeit with a planar flavour) where the characters launch their expeditions towards the planes. I'd also see the planes being featured more prominently (some more than others). Overall, PS might change to feel more akin to being an alien, extraplanar setting (as it was presented in 1e Manual of the Planes) than a typical/fantasy one where magic is taken to the extreme.
I can't say I agree with the afore-mentioned at all, but I can understand any reasoning behind PS's redesign.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

lookatroopa
Orc

Post by lookatroopa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:51 pm

1. Disagree, the powers as personalities within the setting are hugely important in my reckoning. Also, outside of edge cases like the rapidly deteriorating demipower Gorellik, I can't think of instances of the powers themselves coming up as "monsters to fight" in the product line.

2. In theory I agree, but I can't say I ran into the idea of the planes seeming "small" all that much myself. Suppose it's largely a matter of the planes being disproportionately fleshed out.

3. While I do think that the proper fiends/celestials et al. should have alien psychologies to some degree, them being made into somewhat more relatable beings for those characters with a planar perspective worked really well for Planescape IMO. Also, the petitioners and factions need haunts outside of Sigil, like the bars in Baator you mention.

4. I'm all for more layers being fleshed out through dedicated adventures, though I wish they'd give more attention to those that aren't in Baator or the Abyss.

5. Sigil's a great hub, yeah, but I feel making it the site of all faction headquarters would be a strange move at this point, continuity-wise. I'd personally relocate a lot of the faction action to the gate-towns.

6. Absolutely disagree. Power creep like that would make a huge dent in my fun with the setting, and the first layers of most planes should at least have some place for relatively low-level characters. The absorbed gate-town of Darkspine in Avernus is a great example of this.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:26 am

The biggest problem since the end of 2nd edition is that Sigil has stayed in a sort of post-Faction War purgatory. The designers always meant for the metaplot to continue with the factions returning in some form, but with the cancellation of the line, that never really happened, and every version of Sigil since then has just been the same stagnant "there used to be all these factions and politics here but then there was a war and the city isn't as interesting now."

Let the setting advance, or reboot it to the pre-War status quo.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:07 am

lookatroopa wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:51 pm
1. Disagree, the powers as personalities within the setting are hugely important in my reckoning. Also, outside of edge cases like the rapidly deteriorating demipower Gorellik, I can't think of instances of the powers themselves coming up as "monsters to fight" in the product line.

2. In theory I agree, but I can't say I ran into the idea of the planes seeming "small" all that much myself. Suppose it's largely a matter of the planes being disproportionately fleshed out.

3. While I do think that the proper fiends/celestials et al. should have alien psychologies to some degree, them being made into somewhat more relatable beings for those characters with a planar perspective worked really well for Planescape IMO. Also, the petitioners and factions need haunts outside of Sigil, like the bars in Baator you mention.

4. I'm all for more layers being fleshed out through dedicated adventures, though I wish they'd give more attention to those that aren't in Baator or the Abyss.

5. Sigil's a great hub, yeah, but I feel making it the site of all faction headquarters would be a strange move at this point, continuity-wise. I'd personally relocate a lot of the faction action to the gate-towns.

6. Absolutely disagree. Power creep like that would make a huge dent in my fun with the setting, and the first layers of most planes should at least have some place for relatively low-level characters. The absorbed gate-town of Darkspine in Avernus is a great example of this.
I agree with practically everything you've said in this post! :D
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Return to “Planescape”