Planar Pulp and Nexus Noir

The clack is some barmies think the great circle is about to disappear...
The Book-House: Find Planescape products.

Moderator: agathokles

Doc Necrotic
Hobgoblin

Planar Pulp and Nexus Noir

Post by Doc Necrotic »

Before Eberron came out, I always associated a level of pulp weirdness with Planescape. Sigil alone oozes potential noir inspiration, taken to the edge. Torment alone is basically a detective story where you solve your own murder. So, getting those brain juices sloshing and psychic energies crackling, what sort of pulp/detective/noir inspired planar plot seeds can you ponder? A few popped in my head.
  • The Nerve of Some People! A rather twitchy man is in desperate need of anyone willing to take his case. The Harmonium are too baffled and turned off by his demeanor, the Mercykillers think he's just a liar wasting their time, the Xaositects have been harassing him more and more (probably thinking he's one of them), etc... His case? Someone stole his nerves. Not in the body sense, but his ability to relax, to endure stress, all of it. He has become his current fidgety state since. Solve an unusual theft to restore a man's peace of mind.
  • When you're down and out. A need for quick jink has lead you to a seedy loan company in The Hive. Things have been okay until it's time to pay up. Cagers avoid you more and more, certain businesses quake, they all know... They've seen this before. You've fallen into a trap set by one of the mightiest Cross-Traders of the Cage. Can you escape the claws of the Kingpin of Sigil's Cross-Trade herself? Careful, the interest is never just payed in coppers. On the plus side, at least you don't have The Fated breathing down your neck.
  • The Happiness Killer. A deranged serial killer has been targeting people trying to spread joy to Sigil's streets, especially primes. Each victim has a message left with the body, usually some gruesome pun or threat. Forces have been tied up trying to make sense of the clues. Their motive is somewhat clear, they wish to eliminate displays of happiness in Sigil. It's a miracle that they haven't been mazed yet. However, fingers have been pointing around, especially towards the Bleak Cabal... and oddly enough? The Sign of One!
Follow my delves into madness via the Daemons & Deathrays blog!

Doc Necrotic
Hobgoblin

Sigil Noir

Post by Doc Necrotic »

Pardon the thread necromancy, but I've been pondering this again. Hardboiled detectives, a seedy underworld empire, daring heists, a cultural fatigue brought upon by the status quo (or in the case of Post-Faction War, a Post-WWII style fatigue), the big dirty city (especially the Hive), the word on the streets, fishy dens/clubs/warehouses (like the one in Torment). It's not gonna be literally Rolls Royce and Tommy Guns, but it still feels right for those types of games. Might anyone have any other ideas for running this type of feel, perhaps some planar-themed plot seeds and threads to go with the ones at the top?

Cromstar
Bugbear

Re: Sigil Noir

Post by Cromstar »

Doc Necrotic wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:57 am
Pardon the thread necromancy, but I've been pondering this again. Hardboiled detectives, a seedy underworld empire, daring heists, a cultural fatigue brought upon by the status quo (or in the case of Post-Faction War, a Post-WWII style fatigue), the big dirty city (especially the Hive), the word on the streets, fishy dens/clubs/warehouses (like the one in Torment). It's not gonna be literally Rolls Royce and Tommy Guns, but it still feels right for those types of games. Might anyone have any other ideas for running this type of feel, perhaps some planar-themed plot seeds and threads to go with the ones at the top?
Honestly, with the way Planars treat Primes (aka, Clueless), it really fits the feel. Planars are comparatively jaded, which fits in with the noir aesthetic.

I'd say for this feel, really consider the banality of evil side of things: how much awful stuff happens because nobody cares enough to correct that. Who has time to help the poor in the Hive when there are literal devils and demons openly committing their evils in the streets of half a dozen planes? Play up the angle that good is struggling to maintain the status quo, most celestials don't really see a chance to turn the tide and so are content to just keep things from getting too much worse.

Primes come in as the naive, wide-eyed newbies talking about 'shaking up the status quo' and 'fighting the good fight', full of vigor and resolve that hasn't been worn down by corruption and fatigue yet.

Doc Necrotic
Hobgoblin

Post by Doc Necrotic »

Cromstar wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:30 am
Doc Necrotic wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:57 am
Honestly, with the way Planars treat Primes (aka, Clueless), it really fits the feel. Planars are comparatively jaded, which fits in with the noir aesthetic.

I'd say for this feel, really consider the banality of evil side of things: how much awful stuff happens because nobody cares enough to correct that. Who has time to help the poor in the Hive when there are literal devils and demons openly committing their evils in the streets of half a dozen planes? Play up the angle that good is struggling to maintain the status quo, most celestials don't really see a chance to turn the tide and so are content to just keep things from getting too much worse.

Primes come in as the naive, wide-eyed newbies talking about 'shaking up the status quo' and 'fighting the good fight', full of vigor and resolve that hasn't been worn down by corruption and fatigue yet.
That really ties the two sides together. Excellent take.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon »

Cromstar wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:30 am
I'm now tempted to run something of a cross between Planescape and Quantum Leap, with leaping to the planes instead of through time.

Return to “Planescape”