Descent into the Depths of the Earth Novel (spoilers)

The clack is some barmies think the great circle is about to disappear...
The Book-House: Find Planescape products.

Moderators: Idabrius, agathokles

Descent into the Depths of the Earth Novel (spoilers)

Postby GMWestermeyer » Tue May 02, 2017 11:30 pm

So, Escalla from Paul Kidd's Greyhawk novels is a Faerie. Fair enough. But which book, from any edition (but 1e/2e especially) do Faeries appear in?I can't seem to find them. And in _Descent into the Depths of the Earth_ there is a Court of the Faeries that is on another plane, was that just invented whole cloth by Kidd?
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Re: Descent into the Depths of the Earth Novel (spoilers)

Postby Havard » Wed May 03, 2017 2:11 pm

IIRC Descent into the Depths of the Earth is a sequel to the White Plume Mountain novelization by the same author. Do you know if Escalla was featured in both novels?

There is a creature called Faerie in BECMI's Master Set, though they are strange winged creatures inhabiting traits from all the other demihuman races. I am not sure if that fits with the description of Escalla? Faerie is also a term used collectively for Fey races in Classic D&D (BECMI) while the term Fey seems to have taken over from 3E and onwards.

How is Escalla described?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby GMWestermeyer » Wed May 03, 2017 6:04 pm

Havard wrote:IIRC Descent into the Depths of the Earth is a sequel to the White Plume Mountain novelization by the same author. Do you know if Escalla was featured in both novels?

There is a creature called Faerie in BECMI's Master Set, though they are strange winged creatures inhabiting traits from all the other demihuman races. I am not sure if that fits with the description of Escalla? Faerie is also a term used collectively for Fey races in Classic D&D (BECMI) while the term Fey seems to have taken over from 3E and onwards.

How is Escalla described?

-Havard

She appears in all of Kidd's Greyhawk novels. The last two novels take place in part on other planes, including the court of Faerie.

Escalla: https://wiki.greyparticle.com/index.php/Escalla
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed May 03, 2017 9:12 pm

Her description (elf-like woman with wings, 18 inches tall) sounds like a Pixie, or possibly a Sprite. Sprites weren't initially in 3E, though (they got removed and "Sprite" became a catchall category for small fairies, rather than a specific kind of one), which leads me to suspect Kidd intended her to be a Pixie.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby GMWestermeyer » Wed May 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Her description (elf-like woman with wings, 18 inches tall) sounds like a Pixie, or possibly a Sprite. Sprites weren't initially in 3E, though (they got removed and "Sprite" became a catchall category for small fairies, rather than a specific kind of one), which leads me to suspect Kidd intended her to be a Pixie.

I don't think she was 3e, I think she was late 2e (the Justicar is practically the Ranger kit personified). On the Greyhawk forum it was Ripvanworner (sp) suggested she comes from Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two, page 105, the Seelie Faeries. I think she is a perfect match for that group.

Interesting twist, that is a compendium of monsters TSR released in module and magazines in 1994... so, where did seelie faeries appear in 1994 products? My hunt is on!
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Postby lesh » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:51 pm

they were first in the Spellbound campaign box
lesh
Gnoll

Return to Planescape