King's Roads from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

The clack is some barmies think the great circle is about to disappear...
The Book-House: Find Planescape products.

Moderator: agathokles

Birchbeer
Stone Giant

King's Roads from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Post by Birchbeer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:47 pm

I saw the series a little while ago and was struck by this image. It makes me want to create a transitive plane based upon this as what I know of the planes it doesn't quite match them (Ethereal, Astral, Shadow or Feywild). Are there any planes like this that has been written up (canon or fanon) before?

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: King's Roads from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:16 pm

I honestly think you could put an old, semi-ruined series of ancient roads, portals, and bridges anywhere. By their nature, they don't have to exist on only one plane: they're a means of traveling between the planes, so as you travel them you cross from one plane to another.

In Planescape they call the network of portals on the outer planes "the Great Road." This is much more widely spaced than what you see above; it just means the portals scattered across the planes. Usually there are towns or fortresses built around them. It's not a literal road, but a vast path that can be taken by those who want to cross the multiverse the slow way, by walking rather than plane shift spells or the like.

But there's no reason an ancient planar civilization couldn't have created something more closely spaced, something like the image above, stretching across the Astral Plane, or Ethereal Plane, or Plane of Shadow or Faerie, or... all of the above. You could pass a portal on the Plane of Shadow and continue walking a road that extends across the Astral, then the Ethereal, then the fey lands, then the Far Realm and stranger places.

There's also the Infinite Staircase, a mysterious structure that begins in the Gates of the Moon on Ysgard and extends to every plane in existence.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:54 am

The Gray Waste, possibly?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:26 am

ripvanwormer wrote:There's also the Infinite Staircase, a mysterious structure that begins in the Gates of the Moon on Ysgard and extends to every plane in existence.
I second that. By the looks of it, the Infinite Staircase might suit your needs.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Post by Birchbeer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:27 pm

The infinite stairway is pretty close to this. I guess the only differences being the roads have bridges going up/down but in general not as much of a climb. Also, the reason for the portals is different. The infinite stairway links creative places, where as the kings road links destinations decided by the first magician. Oh, and I think you need a key or spell to access the King's roads where as the infinite stairway you don't.

I kind of like the infinite stairway's portal destinations better. Though I can see the PC's getting tired of endlessly climbing the stairs, I think in some ways it's kind of cool :) Thanks for the info folks.

Return to “Planescape”