Planescape and later editions cosmology

The clack is some barmies think the great circle is about to disappear...
The Book-House: Find Planescape products.

Moderator: agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Planescape and later editions cosmology

Post by Havard » Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 pm

We are now in 2018. Looking back at the changes introduced to the D&D cosmology over the editions since 2nd ed, how do you deal with them when it comes to Planescape? Do you make use of things from later editions book if say Sigil is mentioned or changes to the deities? What about changes to the planes themselves and introduction of new planes like the Feywild and the Shadowfell? Do you stick to the things defined in the original PS set or do you incorporate any of the changes?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

FaerieGodfather
Shroompunk Warlord

Re: Planescape and later editions cosmology

Post by FaerieGodfather » Thu May 10, 2018 8:59 pm

I treat the Shadowfell and the Feywild as Transitive Planes, and the Far Realm as a sort of hypertranisitve plane.

I don't pay much attention to anything later cosmologies have had to say about Sigil.
Viktyr C Gehrig

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri May 11, 2018 1:18 am

Besides mechanics inherent for every edition, is 2e Sigil diferent to its iterations in other editions?

To the question, I've never played PS, as I've used just the manual of planes of 3e and 4e. I do prefer the World Axis over the Great Wheel, so perhaps I would have to work hard to adapt stuff if I ever wanna play a PS campaign.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Fri May 11, 2018 12:56 pm

I generally stick to Planescape cosmology. I've incorporated Feywild, Shadowfell, and Far Realm, though I'm not entirely sure if it will work. So far, none in my group has ever bothered to visit or contact those places, or even wondered how they work; in the PS campaign I'm currently running, the characters are too preoccupied with exploring the planes. Still, I've brought a creature from the Far Realm in the last adventure, some entity that was accidentally summoned by a corrupt cult of Aoskar and manifested as an alley in Sigil.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri May 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:18 am
Besides mechanics inherent for every edition, is 2e Sigil diferent to its iterations in other editions?
It's basically the same, except for the political changes brought on by the Faction War in late 2e. In 4e, Sigil is a demiplane, while in the Great Wheel cosmology it's said to float above the Spire in the center of the Outlands. But that makes it inaccessible except through portals anyway.

lesh
Gnoll

Post by lesh » Fri May 11, 2018 3:24 pm

I've added Pathfinder cosmology (+bit of Midgard's) to Planescape, actually prefer 9 outer planes than 17 (and the inner planes between them, including Faerie and Shadow)

the Faction war happened, but the old factions returned

I use some of 4e's extreme changes in a way that they don't contradict previous editions

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:18 am
The last book published for 2E Planescape was an apocalyptic adventure called the Faction War, which 3E's Planar Handbook takes as canon. The pre-Faction War version of Planescape is gone and was never converted. The Godsmen were merged with another faction to form "The Mind's Eye", while the Mercykillers were split up into two groups, neither of which the Planar Handbook mentions (probably because they're still largely confined to Sigil, rather than having diaspora'ed out into the planes like most of the other factions that are still more or less around).

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:41 pm

I see. Well, in 4e the Faction War is mentioned, as well as the split of the Mercykillers, though in 4e the Mercykillers were reformed as a single group again.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:00 pm

For maximum back-compatibility with published materials I'd re-set the clock and keep all the old PS cosmology and background.

On a related note I suspect that WOTC will dump Wildspace and have spell jammer helms cruising the ethereal plane further complicating using 2e PS and spell jammer materials with new adventures.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:00 pm
For maximum back-compatibility with published materials I'd re-set the clock and keep all the old PS cosmology and background.
Better yet, keep both old and new cosmologies as available options by using some sort of timey-wimey event shenanigans.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:00 pm
On a related note I suspect that WOTC will dump Wildspace and have spell jammer helms cruising the ethereal plane further complicating using 2e PS and spell jammer materials with new adventures.
On another related note I'm concerned that Wizards will expand from the post-Faction War events in Planescape. 3e and 4e already did, so I don't see any good reasoning besides catering to old-school gamers NOT to pick up from there.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Havard wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 pm
We are now in 2018. Looking back at the changes introduced to the D&D cosmology over the editions since 2nd ed, how do you deal with them when it comes to Planescape? Do you make use of things from later editions book if say Sigil is mentioned or changes to the deities? What about changes to the planes themselves and introduction of new planes like the Feywild and the Shadowfell? Do you stick to the things defined in the original PS set or do you incorporate any of the changes?
Most likely I'd ignore any post-2e changes as I don't have many post-2e sources and almost all of the material I do own is 2e.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

redking
Hobgoblin

Post by redking » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:25 pm

I am OK with cosmological synthesis from OD&D to 3.5. The cosmological strangeness of 4E doesn't appeal to me, but if I had to integrate the Feywild and Shadowfell, I would make them demiplanes. The Far Realm I treat not as a plane, but as another dimension altogether.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:31 pm

redking wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:25 pm
I am OK with cosmological synthesis from OD&D to 3.5. The cosmological strangeness of 4E doesn't appeal to me, but if I had to integrate the Feywild and Shadowfell, I would make them demiplanes. The Far Realm I treat not as a plane, but as another dimension altogether.
The Far Realm is actually hundreds of overlapping planes, where you exist simultaneously in five or ten of them at once.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:18 pm

You can always use 5e's Great Wheel, that fuses the Great Wheel with 4e's World Axis stuff.

Return to “Planescape”