[Adventure] Fedifensor (by Allen Rogers)

The clack is some barmies think the great circle is about to disappear...
The Book-House: Find Planescape products.

Moderator: agathokles

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Adventure] Fedifensor (by Allen Rogers)

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:50 am

Wizards of the Coast have put up a PDF adventure called Fedifensor.

It's an "AD&D scenario for 6-8 characters of levels 7 and up" by someone called Allen Rogers and it's set in the Astral Plane.

It looks like it might predate Planescape, but as it is set in the Astral Plane it might be useful to anyone using Planescape and/or Manual of the Planes.

The adventure involves a Githyanki outpost so would work well for anyone already using that race in a game. (It might also work as a Spelljammer adventure. :twisted: )

I'm not sure if the adventure is supposed to be set on Greyhawk or if it might count as a new "mini setting". A new mini-setting could work well for either Planescape or Spelljammer. But if anyone was running a game using another world, they could probably insert the Material Plane locations into that world.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: Fedifensor (by Allen Rogers)

Post by Sturm » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Interesting, thanks for the link.

brassdragon
Orc

Post by brassdragon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:08 pm

It's reprinted from Dragon #67, so November 1982 -- definitely pre-Planescape, quite possibly the first published description of githyanki structures on the Astral.

I thought for a moment that was the Dragon adventure that had AD&D characters recovering a magical item from the present-day real world, but no. (Anybody remember which one I'm thinking of?)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:02 pm

brassdragon wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:08 pm
I thought for a moment that was the Dragon adventure that had AD&D characters recovering a magical item from the present-day real world, but no. (Anybody remember which one I'm thinking of?)
"City Beyond the Gate" from Dragon #100.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Quite interesting, indeed. But why would WotC do that, upload an AD&D adventure from 1982?
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

brassdragon
Orc

Post by brassdragon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:47 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:02 pm
brassdragon wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:08 pm
Yes, that's it! Thank you!
zontoxira wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 pm
Quite interesting, indeed. But why would WotC do that, upload an AD&D adventure from 1982?
As a more or less regular feature of Dragon+, they've been revisiting the archives of the original Dragon Magazine and republishing selected articles online.

Cromstar
Orc

Post by Cromstar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:28 am

I thought this adventure looked familiar when I opened it, and I'm glad someone else identified the source so I knew I wasn't going crazy.
brassdragon wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:47 pm
ripvanwormer wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:02 pm
Yes, that's it! Thank you!
And not just any item, but Cuthbert's Mace itself.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:02 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 pm
There is an article, called D&D Classic which discusses this and some other older Dragon articles for githyanki and githzerai.

EDIT: Ninjaed by Brassdragon.

They also included 5th Edition stats for Fedifensor, so they are expecting 5th Edition fans to also use this old adventure.

(I wonder how easy it would be to knock up stats for Fedifensor for every other edition of D&D. :) )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

genghisdon
Gnoll

Re: [Adventure] Fedifensor (by Allen Rogers)

Post by genghisdon » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:31 am

I've had Fedifensor since 82, as I bought Dragon #67

Gith changed enormously across editions; I cannot see how they can work similarly, but I'll check out the 5e conversion, thanks

genghisdon
Gnoll

Post by genghisdon » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:32 am

oh, it is just the sword itself

Illuminatus
Hobgoblin

Post by Illuminatus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:01 pm

If anyone were to consider running Fedifensor, they should probably also check out Into the Silver Realm (Steve Kurtz, Dungeon Magazine #43, 1993). It also deals with a Githyanki astral outpost.

Whereas Fedifensor (iirc) doesn't even mention psionics, Into the Silver Realm provides detailed summaries of githyanki psionic abilities and tactical notes on how the various types of githyanki troops will employ those abilities. One of those brutally harsh adventures where the monsters actually use their abilities intelligently! If you want psionic githyanki, Fedifensor can be retrofitted with the githyanki from Silver Realm.

Return to “Planescape”