[Paradigm Shift] What must be Done

A rebooting of the Planescape setting.
Idabrius
Hill Giant

[Paradigm Shift] What must be Done

Post by Idabrius » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:22 pm

This thread will be reserved for an index of all the great undertakings that we must endeavor to finish before Paradigm Shift will be ready.

Design Goals
  1. *Mature the 4e Cosmology and begin to explore it
    *Add factions, alter factions to suit the new paradigm
    *Redesign Sigil to suit the new paradigm
If you have any design goals of your own, feel free to post them below and they will be added (after consideration, etc.) to the list.

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.

Otogi
Goblin

Re: [Paradigm Shift] What must be Done

Post by Otogi » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:26 am

The first idea's a given, but, none the less a giant priority. I'll post the Planes Reordered article over here and that will make the planes from the last edition fit into this one. We can also wait for the Manual of the Planes for more areas, along with list the ones already stated in Worlds and Monsters.

We can also convert a lot of creatures from the old editions, Guardinals, real Archons, Yugoloths and all that. Converting a lot of stuff isn't as hard as it sounds, really.

The factions shouldn't be that hard to do either, but the question is what changes actually have to be made? Same with Sigil; we need to do some more developing before we do anything to the setting.

Idabrius
Hill Giant

Post by Idabrius » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:55 am

Exactly: Our first priority, the one the others hinge on, should be working on the setting itself. We're likely going to be conflicting with the Manual of Planes no matter what we do unless we wait until its released. I'm not quite sure when that will be, so I say we go ahead and start some work and then try to reconcile ourselves with WotC canon as best we can once its available. I think your Planes Reordered article will be the best jumping-off point to start with. I'm going to be in Montreal this coming week but never fear, for I'll be doing some thought on what we need to get out there.

In the mean time, any attempts by any person to help mature the mythos as it were would be appreciated.

10th Age books on Lulu

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.

Otogi
Goblin

Post by Otogi » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:07 am

Alright, I'll see what I can come up with on my own right now, probably starting off with the gatetowns and jump off from there. Enjoy your trip!

Idabrius
Hill Giant

Post by Idabrius » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:25 pm

Paradigm Shift itself does not refer to the webcomic, but rather to Thomas Kuhns book The Structure of Scientific Revolutions and how that same concept might apply to Planescape.

In other news, I have an interesting idea for how to work on the Planes: Before we were presented with concepts of Law v. Chaos and Good v. Evil, so every plane was designed around L(N)G, LE(N), etc. However, since we will no longer be working with these nonsensical and petty versions of morality, we should determine the THEMATIC ELEMENT of each plane.

IE, Carceri = Prisons, Pandemonium = Madness, etc. etc. From there we can reassemble the plane into something much the same as the old 2/3e type with some slight variants that help play into the thematic element that we have chosen.

10th Age books on Lulu

Otogi
Goblin

Post by Otogi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:03 am

You might want to cut some of the material when you copy it ;)

I could buy that, but I still want to keep some ideas (Pandemonium still being a place where many dark artifacts and such reside for example). But I could imagine, for example, a place of pure escstacy in Feywild being Elysium

Idabrius
Hill Giant

Post by Idabrius » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:29 am

You caught me!

Yes, I think we should keep some interesting things that are layered on top, but the good thing about most of them is that they are social in nature. Thereby, the plane has a theme and then it is used by social formations to do things that are totally at cross purposes with that theme - because people will do any crazy thing! And so will gods, demons, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

10th Age books on Lulu

Otogi
Goblin

Post by Otogi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:30 am

Speaking of which, I'm actually starting to tinker with the monsters of planescape. I got a couple of ideas that I think you'll like, too

Return to “Paradigm Shift”