[Geography] Other Regions

A Complete 3.5E conversion of all things Mystara.

Moderator: Gawain_VIII

[Geography] Other Regions

Postby Gawain_VIII » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:08 pm

This entry is intended to be inclusive from the Baronies out to Orc's Head. I'm not sure if the Arm of the Immortals should fit here or not--it's relatively minor. If anyone feels the need to expand this description to a full-page entry, be my guest!

The SAVAGE COAST
The Savage Coast is a frontier land, with continuous goblinoid invasions and squabbles between the local lords. Most of the land is in ruins and is mainly unexplored. Colonized over the centuries by the riff-raff of the Known World, most people are unscrupulous and the law of the jungle often prevails. The natives who lived there (goblinoids, savage rakasta and lupins, etc.) are none too friendly either, and are often hostile towards humans and demihumans.
Some of the natives are more civilized, such as the rakasta of Bellayne or the lupins of Renardie. In fact, along the Savage Coast, race is often ignored and non-humans can fit in easily to human society. Instead, nationality is the main source of pride, and several nations have had century long feuds in which there appears to be no end in sight.
In this land, the local lords make the rules, and others are poor and uneducated peasants who must follow their whim. Many an adventurer has broken free of this feudalism and wanders the land, without a home, in search of fortune and fame. There are more adventurers without loyalties on the Savage Coast than anywhere else on Mystara.
Adventure can be found by exploring the many ruins and searching for ancient artifacts. But on the Savage Coast, red steel and the mastery of legacies are the true keys to power and fame!
Located to the west of the Known World, the Savage Coast stretches almost 2,000 miles in length. Its southern shores lie against the Western Sea of Dread, while the west is blocked by Yalu Bay. To the east, the Great Waste separates the Savage Coast from the Known World. Finally, the north is bordered by the Yazak Steppes, home of the endless hordes of goblinoids.

Red Steel & the Red Curse
Unique to this land is a strange metal called red steel. This metal is as strong as normal steel, but much lighter, making it a prized possession by all warriors. Red steel is more precious than gold, and rulers have sacrificed entire armies to try and control its trade. Many grand quests have the goal of finding red steel, and many wars still go on because of it.
Finally, the entire land is falls under the sway of the dreaded Red Curse. This affliction deforms all those it affects, transforming them into hideous beasts. Even stranger, some of the inhabitants seem to have learned how to control this curse, gaining wondrous magical powers known as legacies. It is rumored than once you are affected by the Red Curse, you cannot leave the Savage Coast otherwise the curse will destroy you.
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Re: [Geography] Other Regions

Postby Gawain_VIII » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:12 pm

Skothar
I'd like a full-page on Skothar. At a minimum it should give an overview of the continent and a few details about "known" areas like Minea... If there is room, I wouldn't be oposed to filling in the rest of the continent with fan material (either M-Orient or Mentzer-map cultures)--the key here is to be vague. This area is not the focus of this book, nor do we want to contradict canon if it is avoidable--but at the same time, this is our world to do with as we please.
See the Davania entry, below, for an example of what I'm looking for.
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Gawain_VIII » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:14 pm

Davania
Across the Sea of Dread lies the mighty, mysterious continent of Davania. Davania is the sole continent of Mystara’s southern hemisphere. Its northern shores are covered with a lush, vibrant jungle teeming with life, both benign and deadly. Within these jungles are several clans of savages and barbarians, some humans, others not. Davania’s northeastern tip is the area best known to the nations of the Known World.
Few people in the Known World know much of this southern continent. The Thyatians began colonizing Davania’s northernmost tip about 15 years ago; this area is now knows as the Hinterlands. The natives—tall, pale skinned, blonde warriors—have successfully resisted many Thyatian advances, but are gradually losing ground. Raven Scarp, once the meeting place of the Raven clan, is nw a thriving Thyatian city serving as headquarters for the Thyatian military efforts on Davania. Some Hinterlanders, primarily of the Rhino and Raven clans, have adapted to life under Thyatian rule. Other Hinterlanders, especially the Jackal and Leopard clans, live as they always have in their jungle homes. Tribes attacked by Thyatian forces simply melt into the jungle growth and reestablish themselves elsewhere.
The Jungle Coast is a stretch of several hundred miles on the northern shores of Davania. Its exact size is still unknown as it is mostly unexplored. A rough estimate of its borders would be the coast facing the Bellissarian Sea to the east, the Meghala Kimata Plains in the south and the Garganin Grasslands to the west.
Most of the Jungle Coast is unexplored, and no one is exactly sure what can be found in the vast new territory. Rumors abound of strange primitive cultures with wondrous monuments, such as crystal pyramids or deep sacrificial pits. The lands of the Jungle Coast are currently undergoing a mass colonization by the Empire of Thyatis. The natives, however, are none too pleased, and many battles arise from the competition for territory and defending of homeland. Still, the advance of civilization is steady, and there is much progress in the proper education of the locals.
West of the Jungle Coast is the region known to those of the Known World as the Serpent Coast. It is bounded to the north by the Sea of Dread, to the east by the Jungle Coast, to the west by the Serpent Strait and Yavdlom, and to the south by the Adakkian Mounts. It is here where the city-states or Kastelios and Garganin are located; perhaps the only true examples of civilization outside the Thyatian colonies. The Serpent Coast region is a land of rolling hills, pleasant grasslands, mighty rivers, and rugged coasts. Though it lacks the raw brutality of many of the Jungle Coast’s native inhabitants, the more sophisticated cities here can pose dangers well known in Brun, including those unheard of. Outside the fastness of the cities’ walls, nature holds sway, and few know who dwells there.
If one were to follow the coast further south, one would find the Amalur Lowlands, a trackless expanse of jungle and swamp inhabited by reclusive tribes of lizard men and other creatures. It is whispered in the darker corners of the Serpent Coast and Yavdlom that deep within the wilderness lay the ruins of many ancient cities, their stones already weathered and crumbling long before the rise of Thyatis City or drowned Sundsvall. Few venture to this isolated part of Davania, cut off—mercifully, some veteran explorers say—from the eastern lands by the imposing Adakkian Mountains.
South of the Jungle Coast are the little-known Meghala Kimata Plains. In the north, the grasses are so tall and thick that one may easily get lost, never seeing the sun or civilization again. Towards the south, many hundreds of miles away, the grasses wither away, being subsumed by the deadly Meghales Amosses Desert, which no one yet has crossed, and, it is said, holds many dangers beyond description. The great Meghalo Fithi River winds its way through the plains, and along its banks many mighty cities rear their walls. Rumors abound of imposing ruins scattered amongst the grasses, telling of a time when civilization held northern Davania under its sway. Whether this is true or not, the plains beckon to all who have the courage to plunge into the interior, and behold what lies within.
Davania is a place where one can brave a new world, carve out territory to settle, and defend brave colonists from savage natives. If you enjoy exploration and the new frontier, Davania is open to you.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Gawain_VIII » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:15 pm

The Hollow World
The Immortals use the planet’s interior as a sort of museum where animals and cultures at risk of extinction on the outer world can thrive. The Immortals cast a powerful enchantment called the Spell of Preservation over the interior world. This spell was designed to preserve intact all those cultures sent to the HOLLOW WORLD. It discourages changes in language, technology, and culture. It also affects the way magic works in the HOLLOW WORLD (see the next section).
A red sun hanging in the world’s center provides light in the HOLLOW WORLD. There is no night, only eternal noon. The internal sun keeps the HOLLOW WORLD in perpetual daylight. This affects the way HOLLOW WORLD inhabitants think of time. People sleep when they’re tired and eat when they’re hungry. Weather is also different in the HOLLOW WORLD: there are no seasons. Temperate lands are always mild, deserts are always hot, jungles are always warm and humid. But even without the forces that drive weather patterns on the outer world, the HOLLOW WORLD experiences storms. Once every few sleeps, a storm rolls over a given area, dropping lots of rain or snow.
Satellites ranging from boulders to worldlets the size of large islands orbit the sun, casting their shadows on the HOLLOW WORLD’s surface. The movements of these Floating Continents help natives tell time. Some orbit in the airless Void; others orbit within the atmosphere. Many of these “floating continents” support life and may be populated by interesting life forms. Adventurers can find unusual civilizations on these satellites.
The directions of east and west are reversed from the outer world to match east on the outer world with east in the HOLLOW WORLD. For our purposes, east always means spinward—the direction the world rotates—while west means counter-spinward.

Magic in the HOLLOW WORLD
The Spell of Preservation and the Worldshield strongly influence magic in the HOLLOW WORLD. Not all spells work the way they do in the outer world. (If a spell does not work in the Hollow World, neither do magical items that simulate that spell.)
The types of spells, such as divination and instantaneous transportation, as well as lodestones, simply do not work in the HOLLOW WORLD. There are also many spells that do work in the HOLLOW WORLD, but are simply unknown to the native inhabitants. Immortal and artifact magic is not affected; Immortals can cast all spells normally. (Further details will be provided in an upcoming supplement.)
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Gawain_VIII » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:18 pm

Norwold & the Wild North
This should be a combined spread (1 page each)... Canon material is a must... fanon material (GazF's for example) is highly encouraged--but fanon must not conflict with canon.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Gawain_VIII » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:27 pm

Other Areas
This should include all the other canon-described areas that don't have enough material for a full spread... Hule, Serpent Peninsula, Great Waste/Grakkalia, Sylvan Realm, etc.

I know I tend to over-do it a bit, so I'll forcibly stomp on my urge to provide short one-paragraph entries for the rest of the undescribed regions of Brun, especially since it's ALL fanon.

Of course, comments are welcome. Do I add more, have I listed too much?

Roger
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:43 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:Skothar
I'd like a full-page on Skothar. At a minimum it should give an overview of the continent and a few details about "known" areas like Minea... If there is room, I wouldn't be oposed to filling in the rest of the continent with fan material (either M-Orient or Mentzer-map cultures)--the key here is to be vague. This area is not the focus of this book, nor do we want to contradict canon if it is avoidable--but at the same time, this is our world to do with as we please.
See the Davania entry, below, for an example of what I'm looking for.

...and...

Gawain_VIII wrote:Norwold & the Wild North
This should be a combined spread (1 page each)... Canon material is a must... fanon material (GazF's for example) is highly encouraged--but fanon must not conflict with canon.

Has anyone got any ideas for these two yet?

Gawain_VIII wrote:Other Areas
This should include all the other canon-described areas that don't have enough material for a full spread... Hule, Serpent Peninsula, Great Waste/Grakkalia, Sylvan Realm, etc.

I know I tend to over-do it a bit, so I'll forcibly stomp on my urge to provide short one-paragraph entries for the rest of the undescribed regions of Brun, especially since it's ALL fanon.

Is this a full list of the other areas?

Gawain_VIII wrote:Of course, comments are welcome. Do I add more, have I listed too much?

I would suggest that the Geography: Other Regions section should include a low resolution version of Thorf's map of the entire surface of Mystara, and that there should be general details about any region that is not the main region of the 3e book.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Arnden Quartzspar » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:29 am

I'm working on a compilation of Skothar in the main Mystara page. It's been slow since RL gets in the way, but I am getting things together. My main source is the Vaults of Pandius.com. The whole project will be an almanac like the PWA's. But it does take time to assemble. If anyone has suggestions or additional information, I very willing to listen or learn from anyone.
Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Arnden Quartzspar wrote:I'm working on a compilation of Skothar in the main Mystara page. It's been slow since RL gets in the way, but I am getting things together. My main source is the Vaults of Pandius.com. The whole project will be an almanac like the PWA's. But it does take time to assemble. If anyone has suggestions or additional information, I very willing to listen or learn from anyone.

Your Skothar project will be for 3E?

Skothar is a huge area. Maybe an entire continent is a little big for such an undertaking? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Arnden Quartzspar » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:48 am

So far, I am only compiling what is available in the Vaults. With one eye towards edition neutrality and the other towards 3.x. Since that is what I plan on playing there. Another reason I ask for any suggestions.
Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Return to Mystara 3E Conversion Project