B2: The Keep on the Borderlands - 3.5 conversion

A Complete 3.5E conversion of all things Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII

The Ancient One
Goblin

B2: The Keep on the Borderlands - 3.5 conversion

Post by The Ancient One » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi,

this is my first post on The Piazza, though I've lurked here for a while.
I write from Italy and I'm a big fan of Mystara, where I have played for almost 20 years (mainly in Karameikos, Glantri, the Five Shires and Norworld). I still play in it with the 3.5 edition and right now I DMing in two campaigns: a Dragonlance one and one set in Glantri (vaguely based on the official 3.0 adventure path).

Recently I started to read again the good old modules and I thought that it'd be fun to convert them for the 3.5 rules.
So, in the next few days, I'll start to convert the legendary B2 The Keep on the Borderlands.

I know that a conversion exits already (and it can be downloaded from EnWorld) but it is a “linear” conversion, which don't respect rules for CR, EL, XP, treasures, etc. And so, in my humble opinion, it is almost useless if someone wants to really use it in it's own campaign.

As I've used tons of the wonderful material written by the Mystara community, I'd like to contribute something myself.
Do you think that there could be some interest in a 3.5 edition conversion of B2 The Keep on the Borderlands? If so, I'll gladly post it on the forum.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: B2: The Keep on the Borderlands - 3.5 conversion

Post by agathokles » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Welcome and well met! You'll find there are several regulars from Italy on these boards :-)
I'm not into 3e, but this edition and the related Pathfinder still gather quite a bit of consensus, so I think your conversion work would be appreciated.

GP

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:04 pm

I'd definitely be interested in nabbing a PDF conversion! :geek:

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:46 pm

The Ancient One wrote:Do you think that there could be some interest in a 3.5 edition conversion of B2 The Keep on the Borderlands?
Absolutely! There are still many people playing 3.5 that would find this useful.

And welcome to The Piazza!

The Ancient One
Goblin

Post by The Ancient One » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Thank you all for your welcome on the boards!

I really hope that you'll enjoy my conversion.
Of course I'll gladly request both your feedback and your help!

I have already prepared the material for the conversion of the first cave (kobolds).
Now I just have to translate it in English as best as I can. :-)
agathokles wrote:Welcome and well met! You'll find there are several regulars from Italy on these boards :-)
Mystara is quite popular in Italy! :-)

Many, many, *many* years ago I was active on the MML myself. At that time, IIRC, there were only two other people from Italy on the mailing list: Dalmonte and Fabrizio (sorry, I can't remember his surname right now).
I still remember with pleasure a few thousand email exchanged with DM. :-)
BTW, is he still around?

I have the first draft of the first encounter outside Cave A.
Is it possile to attach pdfs to the forum? O do I have to upload it elsewhere?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:17 pm

You'll have to upload to a filesharing site, such as Scribd. Or you could host it in a Dropbox account and share the link to the file.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:34 pm

The Ancient One wrote:
agathokles wrote:Welcome and well met! You'll find there are several regulars from Italy on these boards :-)
Mystara is quite popular in Italy! :-)

Many, many, *many* years ago I was active on the MML myself. At that time, IIRC, there were only two other people from Italy on the mailing list: Dalmonte and Fabrizio (sorry, I can't remember his surname right now).
I still remember with pleasure a few thousand email exchanged with DM. :-)
BTW, is he still around?
Wow, that must have been more than 15 years ago, as I've been around since 1998. You surely deserve your user name!

Fabrizio Paoli is not anymore directly active in the Mystara community, although he is involved in the organization of Lucca Games -- which is part of the reason why BECMI and Mystara have enjoyed a good exposure there in recent years.

Marco Dalmonte is still quite active, you can find him in the Mystara Italia Facebook Group. He has produced a vast amount of new material, including a monumental work on the Immortals (Codex Immortalis) as well as works on Weapon Masteries, Player Creatures and Classes, General Skills, and more.

Regarding PDF attachments, I don't know if they are allowed. It's probably easier to host the PDF elsewhere (e.g., on the Vaults of Pandius) and post a link here.

GP

The Ancient One
Goblin

Post by The Ancient One » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:26 pm

Thank you very much for the advice for uploading the file, The Angelic Dragon!

agathokles wrote:Wow, that must have been more than 15 years ago, as I've been around since 1998. You surely deserve your user name!
:mrgreen:
I think that I subscribed around 1994.
There were also a few articles written by me on Pandius. Some have been delated, but there are still two: http://www.pandius.com/dcalugi.html .
I'm not brave enough to read them again after all these yeas! :o
Fabrizio Paoli is not anymore directly active in the Mystara community, although he is involved in the organization of Lucca Games -- which is part of the reason why BECMI and Mystara have enjoyed a good exposure there in recent years.
Wonderful!
Marco Dalmonte is still quite active, you can find him in the Mystara Italia Facebook Group. He has produced a vast amount of new material, including a monumental work on the Immortals (Codex Immortalis) as well as works on Weapon Masteries, Player Creatures and Classes, General Skills, and more.
I didn't know about the Mystara Italia Facebook Group!
Too bad I don't use FB... mhm... I suppose I'll have too.
Who knows if Marco still rember me after all these years...!

Anyway, here is my conversion of the first three rooms: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3rmixs2kh5r6 ... n.pdf?dl=0

Light blue = text from the original module.
I have insert detailed tatics for monster and even some explanation of the rules used, so that the conversion can be used as an introductionary adventure to 3.5

I wait for some feedback! :-)
And every advice is welcome!

The Ancient One
Goblin

Post by The Ancient One » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Return to “Mystara 3E Conversion Project”