Mystara 3E Campaign Setting Preview

A Complete 3.5E conversion of all things Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII

Thorf
Cartomancer

Mystara 3E Campaign Setting Preview

Post by Thorf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:25 am

If you haven't already seen Roger's Mystara 3E Campaign Setting Preview that he sneakily posted to the Vaults, go check it out now! :D

Roger, I've been waiting for a thread to appear to talk about this, but finally I decided to just make one myself. I would PM you but it's better to have this sort of thing where everyone can chip in - and besides, my PM mailboxes are full to bursting at this point. ;)

First, I want to say what a nice job you've made of the preview. It's looking really good - a very nice teaser for what will not only be the first third edition Mystara campaign book but in fact the first really comprehensive Mystara campaign book yet! It's an amazing undertaking, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it progress.

Next, I want to let you know that I would be happy to make high quality versions of all the art assets you want to use. This includes the castle border graphic; I can make the borders in vector form in the exact dimensions you need them, so they won't have to look squished or pixellated. And also my Mystara logos. The black and white logo can and should be in vector format too, although the cover logo will likely be raster since part of it originates in Photoshop. For the official art, the best way to prepare it is to scan it in at 600 dpi, which allows you to blur it and reduce it to the resolution you want (likely 300 dpi, compressed down to 150 or so in the final PDF). I don't have access to all the books here, but I can certainly help you with those I am able to - as you know, collecting official art is part of one of my own projects, and getting high resolution scans of various pictures is something I only hold off doing because of the time it takes. If I have a set list of them, that's much less of an issue.

For art that isn't official (and stuff you have "commissioned"), I hope you have some nice decent-resolution versions too.

Oh, and I'm going to need to make a nice vector version of the VOP logo at some point too. As long as it's the simple black and white version it's very easy to do.

Have you thought about adding a very faint watermark like those found in the Gazetteer series? We could even reuse the Gazetteer watermarks, perhaps a different one for each chapter or something. (Of course they don't appear on pages with other artwork or tables.)

It looks like you did this version in Word. Are you doing the layout and design yourself? I've recently been learning how to use InDesign, and I have to say it would be easy (and fun) to make your designs really shine with InDesign. That's not to say that your work in Word is a waste, of course, but for the final version things could be done with a lot more precision (and shine for lack of a better word) in InDesign.

I'd be happy to help you with all these things. :D

Hugin
Green Dragon

Re: Mystara 3E Campaign Setting Preview

Post by Hugin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Oh, wow, that is looking really nice so far! I especially enjoyed reading the early sections about Mystara itself; well written.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanks. I didn't post myself 'cause I wanted to see who would say something first. If you didn't notice, the dimensions of the document is the width of A4 and height of US Letter, so it should fit both sizes with no problem. I did create the document in MS Word. What you see is not the final layout, which Kenshi has offered to do for me.
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Thorf wrote:If you haven't already seen Roger's Mystara 3E Campaign Setting Preview that he sneakily posted to the Vaults, go check it out now! :D
Wow! 8-)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thorf wrote:If you haven't already seen Roger's Mystara 3E Campaign Setting Preview that he sneakily posted to the Vaults, go check it out now! :D
Wow! 8-)
Indeed! You hadnt seen it before David? Roger has really been keeping a low profile with this excellent preview. :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:32 pm

It looks really slick. Still absorbing it all. Nicely done!

A couple things I did notice right away, though- the Tanagoro people are mistakenly called "Tangaroo" in the text; and Actaeon is missing the second "a".

(Hope it doesn't sound like I'm nitpicking here.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:06 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:(Hope it doesn't sound like I'm nitpicking here.)
Well, I noticed a couple of minor issues with images, but I figure that this was more of a "proof of concept" thing than a finalised product. I figure that when we get nearer to the time there will be some sort of Alpha Release for proofreading.

Like you, I am still taking it it. It is really beautiful and the final product is obviously going to be amazing.

Would someone who knows something about ENNies find out how to nominate this? When Adlatum Campaign Setting came out I was gobsmacked it didn't get nominated, as I thought it was a shoe-in. I would hate to see this miss out (when it is done).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Roger, this is great! It may take some time for me to read through all of it, but so far I am hooked.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 » Sun May 30, 2010 5:09 pm

Very nice stuff. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Thorf.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:59 pm

Roger,

Thorf offered to help you in different ways, and I don’t read that you have taken him up for his offer.

On another note, would it be possible to see what maps you have in mind to use for your conversion project? Id like to see what “themes” or “map style” you have in mind for this work.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Thorf is pretty busy with family stuff these days...

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Giorgio wrote:Roger,

Thorf offered to help you in different ways, and I don’t read that you have taken him up for his offer.

On another note, would it be possible to see what maps you have in mind to use for your conversion project? Id like to see what “themes” or “map style” you have in mind for this work.
I've taken Thorf's assistance on some things... others (most notably layout) I chose to go with a format offered by Kenshi.

Most maps will be Thorf's updated hex style. A select few (such as the map detailing regions) will utilize Havar's "bump relief" style.
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:Most maps will be Thorf's updated hex style. A select few (such as the map detailing regions) will utilize Havard's "bump relief" style.
Heh, now my style has a name! :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Havard wrote:
Gawain_VIII wrote:Most maps will be Thorf's updated hex style. A select few (such as the map detailing regions) will utilize Havard's "bump relief" style.
Heh, now my style has a name! :)

Havard
Sounds like some form of antenatal massage. :D

Irezumi
Goblin

Post by Irezumi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Is this still being worked on?

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:56 am

Irezumi wrote:Is this still being worked on?
Not actively. Unfortunately life has presented it's ugly side and keeps me away from my hobbies--but the project, as a whole, is not forgotten, and if you have any material to contribute, rest assured that I'll see and reply in a moderately timely manner.

Roger

strawberryJAMM
Kobold

Post by strawberryJAMM » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:06 pm

After being directed to this forum from the Mystara Reborn Facebook group I found this thread and took a look at the preview document. I have to say I'm impressed - it's really great work! It's too bad "Real Life" got in the way of it going any further.

{Whoa. I was just hit by an intense sensation of deja vu...}

I do have just one specific request however. The colour illustration, with the six panels representing different regions of Mystara behind a panel of purple and gold with "Mystara 3E" on it, which is on the page numbered 269 (actually page 17 of the preview document) is my artwork. It was designed as the splash page for the "original" Mystara 3E web site which I both created and still host.

I have absolutely no problem with it being used here (in fact, I think it's great you liked it enough to want to use it!) but I must ask that, if further work is ever done on the document, that I be credited for my art (e.g. by having my name added to the credits as an interior illustrator).

-Jenni
aka. "strawberryJAMM" or, sometimes, "Matrissa the Enchantress"
The OGL ("Our Glorious Leader") of the Mystara-d20 Project.
~ Mystara-3E/d20 Site ~
~ Mystara d20 Google Group

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:59 pm

strawberryJAMM wrote:After being directed to this forum from the Mystara Reborn Facebook group I found this thread and took a look at the preview document. I have to say I'm impressed - it's really great work! It's too bad "Real Life" got in the way of it going any further.

{Whoa. I was just hit by an intense sensation of deja vu...}

I do have just one specific request however. The colour illustration, with the six panels representing different regions of Mystara behind a panel of purple and gold with "Mystara 3E" on it, which is on the page numbered 269 (actually page 17 of the preview document) is my artwork. It was designed as the splash page for the "original" Mystara 3E web site which I both created and still host.

I have absolutely no problem with it being used here (in fact, I think it's great you liked it enough to want to use it!) but I must ask that, if further work is ever done on the document, that I be credited for my art (e.g. by having my name added to the credits as an interior illustrator).

-Jenni
aka. "strawberryJAMM" or, sometimes, "Matrissa the Enchantress"
Consider it done. It was some time ago, but I do think I tried to get ahold of you at one point about using some of your materials. I certainly would like to use more. Your project, it seems to me, was more along the lines of a point-for-point conversion of the rules-set while this project was intended to be a (post-conversion) setting book. I think if we merge our two, we might be able to get some semblance of a finished product out of it. I'd love to talk to you more about it.

Cheers,
Roger

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:59 am

Gawain_VIII wrote: I think if we merge our two, we might be able to get some semblance of a finished product out of it. I'd love to talk to you more about it.
This would be a very cool direction for things to develop.... :cool:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:41 am

Cool. Saved to read later.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Return to “Mystara 3E Conversion Project”