Project Status?

A Complete 3.5E conversion of all things Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII

Giorgio
Ogre

Project Status?

Post by Giorgio » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:49 pm

Hello All,

I am just starting work on my Pathfinder: Mystara Campaign (aka D&D 3.75) and I found the 3E preview document to be just the kind of thing I can use for my campaigns development.

I am still reading threw the two pages of posts on this forum section, and I am holding my input until I have a better idea of what is going on.

So I am curious to know, what is the current status of this conversion project? Is it still active with a near by release date or has it been put on the back burner/canceled?

Thanks in advance for clearing up my doubts,

George

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Project Status?

Post by Havard » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Hello Giorgio!
The project is certainly not cancelled, but I believe the cause of delay is the fact that Roger the project leader has been temporarily stationed in Korea.

There are alot of Mystara 3E resources on the Vaults of Pandius. What exactly do you have planned for your Pathfinder Campaign? :)

Oh, and welcome to the Piazza!

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks for the information and welcome! I was going to reply sooner, but between internet and girlfriend guess which has a higher priority on my time? :)

As soon as Roger gets back (his last post was Jan 11), I would like to help. I spent 4 hours reading all 38 topics on this forum, and I have a few thoughts to share.

As for the VOP the GOOD thing is that it has a lot of resources available, the BAD thing is that it has a lot of resources available. On any one topic the amount of material can be overwhelming, and as it is not organized by rules editions (0, 1st, 2nd, 3rd ….) I have to go thru each article one by one, and it can be a bit too much. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Also 90% of the time I have NO idea what the authors are talking about as I don’t own all the BECMI materials, GAZ or sourcebooks. I got a few some time ago on Paizo on PDFs (I got all the Thunder Rifts ones they had for sale!) but I could not afford to get them ALL before WOTC pulled the plug on them.

As for Ebay, have you seen the insane prices that Mystara stuff goes there? The basic stuff are hard to find, and the GAZs are in the $50-90+ range, way beyond my means.

As for my Pathfinder game, should I reply here, in the general Mystara or Thunder Rift (that is where the campaign starts) forums?

George
Last edited by Giorgio on Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:20 pm

Giorgio wrote:Thanks for the information and welcome! I was going to reply sooner, but between internet and girlfriend guess which has a higher priority on my time? :)
That's a tough one, lol ;)
As soon as Robert gets back (his last post was Jan 11), I would like to help. I spent 4 hours reading all 38 topics on this forum, and I have a few thoughts to share.
Sorry, by Roger I meant Gawain_VIII who last visited here today. Help is always nice though :)
As for the VOP the GOOD thing is that it has a lot of resources available, the BAD thing is that it has a lot of resources available. On any one topic the amount of material can be overwhelming, and as it is not organized by rules editions (0, 1st, 2nd, 3rd ….) I have to go thru each article one by one, and it can be a bit too much. Not a criticism, just an observation.
Yep. I see what you mean. I guess at this point we have generated so much fan created material that finding new ways to organize it is going to become more and more useful. Creating pdf compilations with the essentials, just like what this project aims to do is going to be helpful to alot of fans I think.
Also 90% of the time I have NO idea what the authors are talking about as I don’t own all the BECMI materials, GAZ or sourcebooks. I got a few some time ago on Paizo on PDFs (I got all the Thunder Rifts ones they had for sale!) but I could not afford to get them ALL before WOTC pulled the plug on them.
Yeah, we miss the pdfs :(
Congrats on the TR ones. That rocks! 8-)

If you're not already familiar with it, check out the Newbie's Guide to Mystara. It might be helpful filling out some of the blanks.
As for my Pathfinder game, should I reply here, in the general Mystara or Thunder Rift (that is where the campaign starts) forums?
I would recommend the Mystara general forum. I would love to see more traffic in the TR forum, but you are more likely to get responses in the Mystara general one.

I am looking forward to hearing about your campaign! :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:32 pm

Giorgio wrote: Also 90% of the time I have NO idea what the authors are talking about as I don’t own all the BECMI materials, GAZ or sourcebooks. I got a few some time ago on Paizo on PDFs (I got all the Thunder Rifts ones they had for sale!) but I could not afford to get them ALL before WOTC pulled the plug on them.

As for Ebay, have you seen the insane prices that Mystara stuff goes there? The basic stuff are hard to find, and the GAZs are in the $50-90+ range, way beyond my means.
That's a real problem for people - it was stupid of them to pull the pdf's, in my opinion. :(

You wouldn't believe the trouble I went to in order to get complete maps - many of the pdf's were incomplete and I ended up buying from ebay just to get the maps!

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:48 pm

That much? I'm almost tempted to sell off my GAZ collection now.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:56 pm

Dave L wrote:
That's a real problem for people - it was stupid of them to pull the pdf's, in my opinion. :(

You wouldn't believe the trouble I went to in order to get complete maps - many of the pdf's were incomplete and I ended up buying from ebay just to get the maps!
I hear you! My copy of the Thunder Rift pdf has a full color map broken in various pages, went I printed the map it turned out to be a huge mess! The borders would not match, half the maps where of different sizes, and I could not get a new copy of the PDF. I am still traumatized...

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Ashtagon wrote: That much? I'm almost tempted to sell off my GAZ collection now.
I kid you not. I just did a search on ebay "D&D Gazetteer" and saw the latests offerings. Take a look for your self and see.

George

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Havard wrote: I am looking forward to hearing about your campaign! :)

Havard
I will be glad to share. Are you interested in something in particular? Game settings, rules used, House Rules, PCs created, adventure ideas, what VOP stuff used… ?

George

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:01 am

Giorgio wrote:
Ashtagon wrote: That much? I'm almost tempted to sell off my GAZ collection now.
I kid you not. I just did a search on ebay "D&D Gazetteer" and saw the latests offerings. Take a look for your self and see.

George
They really do go for insane prices! I completed my collection of the Gazes but it took well over a year of ebay activity to get them for the mid 30's to low 40's. Patience pays but it also takes time! :D :|

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:52 am

Giorgio wrote: I will be glad to share. Are you interested in something in particular? Game settings, rules used, House Rules, PCs created, adventure ideas, what VOP stuff used… ?
Anything really, but mostly setting, adventure ideas, PCs etc...

However, the Pathfinder Forum needs more activity so it could be interesting seeing some discussions of house rules there too? :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:29 am

This project is most definitely still on the table, albeit on the back burner. Quite a number of factors have prevented me from being able to cintinue with any noticable speed, including my being in Korea and minimal outside assistance. Unlike Blacky's Dark Dungeons, I don't have the time or luxury to write the whole thing by myself, and I currently don't have an active gaming group to playtest any of the material I've written.

Nonetheless, I haven't given up and I'll continue to work on it as much as my life's schedule will allow. If you want to submit any material of your own, feel free to read through the posts here and see what is left to be done and post away. Thank you so much for experssing interest and support on this project. It's been a labor of love for quite some time.

Until then,
Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:32 pm

Roger,

I am going to be using your work as a basis for my Pathfinder Mystara campaign and I will be glad to help in any way I can. I have limited experience with the BECMI rules or the Mystara campaign setting, so for now what I can offer is questions and suggestions.

To start:

1- Is the guide intended for a player or for a DM? Having it be for both audiences can be a bad thing as there is some information that is best kept for the DM and some that is better to simplify and streamline for the players. My preference is a basic Players guide that I can just print out "here, read this!" and another for me as the DM with more extensive notes and background material.

2- Right now the various chapters are all over the place. Can you make each chapter fixed or sticky? That would help in organizing the information and giving feedback on each individual topic.

3- Do you have the Pathfinder RPG or have read the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document?

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Since your work is still in development and the Pathfinder RPG (AKA D&D 3.75) is the latest version of the rules (since WOTC discontinued the 3.5 Core rules line) and its only needs minors teaks to make it Pathfinder compatible, might you be interested in “upgrading” your project to this rule set?

4-One thing I would recommend is that you add an additional line for game material references for further reading. For example if your races section under dwarves you can add a final line that says:

Reference: GAZ 5 The Dwarves of Rockhome

That way if a player or DM wants to learn more he knows where to go for further reading on the matter.

5-I will be going threw your notes again this week while I work on my campaign, and I will be cross referring your work with some VOP articles and see if I “fill in some gaps’ while you work on your project.

George

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:15 pm

(Cont)

6- What is the scope of this project, the known world area, or the whole world. Are you going to be writing an overview on each of the continents?

7-In the Dragonlance sourcebook they have a section on the different eras of play (pre-cataclysm, cataclysm, pre-War of the Lance, post-War of the lance,,,). Will you be doing something similar in your project?

Say, write everything in the year 1000AC, and then have a different section for playing in other eras/times?

8- Are you going to use just the core rules (Be it 3.5 or 3.75) or are you open to using materials from 3rd party publishers and fan material?

9-Will there be a public viewing of the project for proofreading and feedback before finalizing it?

10- Will you be making the project printer friendly (an option for B&W or gray scale)?

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:56 pm

Giorgio wrote:1- Is the guide intended for a player or for a DM? Having it be for both audiences can be a bad thing as there is some information that is best kept for the DM and some that is better to simplify and streamline for the players. My preference is a basic Players guide that I can just print out "here, read this!" and another for me as the DM with more extensive notes and background material.
Primarily DM. Select chapters (character creation, etc) will be player-friendly
2- Right now the various chapters are all over the place. Can you make each chapter fixed or sticky? That would help in organizing the information and giving feedback on each individual topic.
Because there's several threads for each chapter, I'd have to sticky the entire subforum! I will, eventually, add a sticky with organized links for all the other threads for quicker navigating... but that's not my highest prioroty.
3- Do you have the Pathfinder RPG or have read the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document?

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Since your work is still in development and the Pathfinder RPG (AKA D&D 3.75) is the latest version of the rules (since WOTC discontinued the 3.5 Core rules line) and its only needs minors teaks to make it Pathfinder compatible, might you be interested in “upgrading” your project to this rule set?
I will not be using PF. See my response here.
4-One thing I would recommend is that you add an additional line for game material references for further reading. For example if your races section under dwarves you can add a final line that says:

Reference: GAZ 5 The Dwarves of Rockhome

That way if a player or DM wants to learn more he knows where to go for further reading on the matter.
References are required as part of the OGL. I don't feel it neccessary to include the same references in multiple locations.
5-I will be going threw your notes again this week while I work on my campaign, and I will be cross referring your work with some VOP articles and see if I “fill in some gaps’ while you work on your project.

George
Admittedly, this project has dropped by the wayside more than once, but I do always end up coming back to it. One day it will see the light of day... I just hope I can keep up on it long enough to publish before 5e comes out!
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Giorgio wrote:(Cont)

6- What is the scope of this project, the known world area, or the whole world. Are you going to be writing an overview on each of the continents?
As stated in the Scope and Overview thread, the scope is the "Known World" circa AC 1000, expanded to include Alphatia, Wendar, and Sind. Other locales will be mentioned in passing (Hollow World, Thunder Rift, etc) but will not be focused on.
7-In the Dragonlance sourcebook they have a section on the different eras of play (pre-cataclysm, cataclysm, pre-War of the Lance, post-War of the lance,,,). Will you be doing something similar in your project?

Say, write everything in the year 1000AC, and then have a different section for playing in other eras/times?
No. There is alot of information to include as it is... adding more, especially something where new stuff would have to be invented, would require a project all by itself.
8- Are you going to use just the core rules (Be it 3.5 or 3.75) or are you open to using materials from 3rd party publishers and fan material?
The main settting book MUST be useable with only the three core 3.5 books. Anything may be used as inspirational/reference, however.
9-Will there be a public viewing of the project for proofreading and feedback before finalizing it?
Absolutely.
10- Will you be making the project printer friendly (an option for B&W or gray scale)?
Yes. The page size I'm using will be the height of US Letter and the width of A4. Interior pictures will be B&W or grayscale to begin with. Page colors will be limited to 2 or 3 for headers and the like. The only forseeable problem will be the maps. I don't know how to handle that, yet.

Return to “Mystara 3E Conversion Project”