[PF Mystara] Races

A Complete 3.5E conversion of all things Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: [PF Mystara] Races

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 am

Gecko wrote:I'd agree, but a "+2 racial bonus to ... Perform skill checks related to the working of stone or metal"? Did you mean Profession or has stonecarving/metalsculpting become a performance art? I've heard of watching say speed ice-sculpting contests or that guy on TV who does speed painting, but stonecarving/metalsculpting doesn't sound to me like something you would watch for entertainment.
The Pathfinder Advanced Players' Guide has an alternative racial feature for dwarves that is effectively what Giorgio is proposing here (even the same name- craftsman). It replaces Greed entirely, and gives a +2 bonus to Craft and Profession checks with stone/metal. I'd say go with that one.
personally I replaced the +2 to Listen and Search with +2 bonuses to Escape Artist & Move Silently (I guess that's Stealth in PF), but kept the bonus to Spot, as well as the +4 to Hide. Again, YMMV
Gaz13 makes a point of noting that the Shadowelves' ears are larger and act like a sort of radar underground, so I'd definitely give them some kind of bonus for that. In 3.5, I'd just give them a bigger Listen bonus, and do away with the Spot bonus; in Pathfinder, I'd just let them keep the Perception bonus.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:31 am

Gaz13 makes a point of noting that the Shadowelves' ears are larger and act like a sort of radar underground, so I'd definitely give them some kind of bonus for that. In 3.5, I'd just give them a bigger Listen bonus, and do away with the Spot bonus; in Pathfinder, I'd just let them keep the Perception bonus.
PF does allow for racial bonuses with specific sub-sections of the Perception skill. For example, vanilla elves have:

Keen Senses: Elves receive a +2 bonus on sight and sound-based Perception checks.

While dwarves have:

Keen Senses: Dwarves receive a +2 bonus on taste and touch-based Perception skill checks.

Given this precedent, shadow elves could probably be given an additional +2 (+4 total) on sound-based Perception checks.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:42 am

Ashtagon wrote:PF does allow for racial bonuses with specific sub-sections of the Perception skill. For example, vanilla elves have:

Keen Senses: Elves receive a +2 bonus on sight and sound-based Perception checks.
Those are actually from earlier Beta versions of PF. Currently, they just grant a flat +2 bonus to Perception (for elves, halflings, gnomes, and half-elves).

I can't recall specifically when/where they dropped that part of the Perception check (I stopped following progress on the Beta at one point, and am only just now getting caught up with the Pathfinder Alpha, having recently picked it up), but I suspect it was dropped because if was too much paperwork hassle to deal with. Considering that Listen and Spot are both kind of admixed together as Perception now, I'd say it would be pretty rare to have an instance where you wouldn't have a Perception check that dealt with both senses (sight and sound), or at least none worth bothering with.

That said, there are still precedents- dwarves, for example, receive a +2 Perception bonus when dealing with specific instances of stonework (their Stonecunning ability), so we could do something like that.

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:09 am

personally I replaced the +2 to Listen and Search with +2 bonuses to Escape Artist & Move Silently (I guess that's Stealth in PF), but kept the bonus to Spot, as well as the +4 to Hide. Again, YMMV
I guess it's been too long since I read it. I'm going to have to go back and reconsider the listen bit then.

cheers.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Gecko wrote:I guess it's been too long since I read it. I'm going to have to go back and reconsider the listen bit then.
It's on the Vaults, for convenience. :)
Shadow Elf Player's Guide wrote:Physical Description:... Their ears are larger than those of wood elves, giving the shadow elves a sort of "walking radar" underground. Shadow elves have high-pitched voices--almost squeaky to human ears.

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I will respond after Huricane Earl passes by my island (Mon-Tue).

As for the patherfinder rules, throw away any beta or alpha stuff and read the free current official rules at:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

But I perfer the fan version better (it has an "expanded universe" feel):

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/Home

George

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:24 pm

I am not going to write any PF specific info for several reasons.
1- I don't have ready access to the materials (Yes, there's the SRD, but that's more useful as a reference and not the same as having the book)
2- 3.5 to PF conversions are simple enough that they can be completed on-the-fly. And it's easier to forward-convert than to reverse-convert.
3- The agreement between Shawn and WotC specifically allows Pandius to create new Mystara material for D&D (3e is assumed, but not specifically stated, in the text of the agreement), not Pathfinder.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:40 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:I am not going to write any PF specific info for several reasons.
1- I don't have ready access to the materials (Yes, there's the SRD, but that's more useful as a reference and not the same as having the book)
2- 3.5 to PF conversions are simple enough that they can be completed on-the-fly. And it's easier to forward-convert than to reverse-convert.
3- The agreement between Shawn and WotC specifically allows Pandius to create new Mystara material for D&D (3e is assumed, but not specifically stated, in the text of the agreement), not Pathfinder.

Roger
Sounds reasonable to me. I am at work right now and don’t have a chance to reply to the dozens of responses you posted to all my questions back in September 2010, but I hope to do so in the next few days and I will try to keep my replies limited to the 3.5 ruleset. ;)

Return to “Mystara 3E Conversion Project”