[Characters] Classes

A Complete 3.5E conversion of all things Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Re: Rgr

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:18 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Gawain_VIII wrote:RANGER
Rangers may select an organization instead of a creature type as a favored enemy. For example, a good ranger might choose to oppose the Iron Ring, and rangers associated with the Cult of Hel often hunt down the Skalds of Odin. These rangers receive their favored enemy bonus against agents from that organization, regardless of creature type. The bonus applies even if the creature is of the same race as the ranger and the ranger is not evil. The bonus works just like the normal favored enemy bonus, except that it is considered a morale bonus and does not stack with other morale effects..
Why do you include the line "The bonus applies even if the creature is of the same race as the ranger and the ranger is not evil. "? I see nothing in the d20 srd or d20 pfsrd that limits a ranger in this way. Is this a BECMI or D&D 3.0 rule?
The description of Favored Enemy in the 3.5 PHB states that the character cannot select a favored enemy of his own race unless he is evilly aligned. So, the exception needs to be expressed. This rule's exclusion from the SRD is a prime example of why I use the books, and not the SRD, as my primary source of reference material.
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Re: [Characters] Classes

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:26 pm

Giorgio wrote:Although I brought it up in another thread, I would like to read your thought on the inclusion of these classes in your conversion project. If any meet your approval, I would like to see them written up in a similar format as the ones you have already posted.

If your classes are limited to those in the D&D 3.5 PBH I, then you can include some of these classes as "Additional Class Options" for other GMs to consider.
<snip>
As mentioned elsewhere, the classes and PrCs to be included in this project are those which are uniquely specific to Mystara (or BECMI, for which there is not currently a 3e equivelant). There will be nothing preventing individual DMs from including other PrCs in their games... Most of the classes you listed are appropriate to Mystara... just like they're appropriate to ANY fantasy setting... they are not specific to Mystara, and as such do not need to be created/duplicated.
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

vgeisz
Hobgoblin

Post by vgeisz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Giorgio, something else you might have missed is that in OD&D Paladins and Druids are Prestige classes not core classes
Vern
God was my co-pilot, but we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat her.

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Sat May 21, 2011 2:19 pm

vgeisz wrote:Giorgio, something else you might have missed is that in OD&D Paladins and Druids are Prestige classes not core classes
Vern
I understand that, but as this is a conversation to 3E rules, I see no reason why they should not be available as core classes playable at 1st level, as they are balanced with the other standard 3.5 classes, and are already and established part of the setting.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Fri May 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Giorgio wrote:
vgeisz wrote:Giorgio, something else you might have missed is that in OD&D Paladins and Druids are Prestige classes not core classes
Vern
I understand that, but as this is a conversation to 3E rules, I see no reason why they should not be available as core classes playable at 1st level, as they are balanced with the other standard 3.5 classes, and are already and established part of the setting.
I had a similar debate when I started using the 3E ruleset for Mystara. Just after the 3.5 revision, the Unearthed Arcana supplement contained 'prestige' versions of the Bard, Paladin, and Ranger. (They were subsequently released through the SRD.)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/class ... lasses.htm
I seriously considered using those options, instead of the base class versions, but decided to leave them as base classes. Ease of reference to the core 3.5 books was a significant factor in that decision.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Return to “Mystara 3E Conversion Project”