[Characters] Prestige Classes

A Complete 3.5E conversion of all things Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII

Giorgio
Ogre

Re: [Characters] Prestige Classes

Post by Giorgio » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Roger,

What 3E reference materials are you using while working on your PRCs?

Id like to know if possible what is your D&D 3.5 library to see what books you have access to and what you don't, then I might be able to contribute PRCs ideas from other materials you might not have, and save you some time of reinventing the wheel.

Many already published PRCs work great if you just change the "fluff" part and leave the "crunch" intact.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:13 am

Giorgio wrote:Many already published PRCs work great if you just change the "fluff" part and leave the "crunch" intact.
Quite true. I have done just this. I have only had to 'build' three prestige classes myself to fill things that weren't quite covered by other means. For nearly every other niche concept, I found a published class that fit and associated the class with the appropriate region, nation, clan, or organization.

One example is the Champion of Corellon, from Races of the Wild. By merely changing the name to Champion of Mealiden, you have an order of skilled warriors devoted to defending the forrest in the name of their patron immortal.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:56 pm

Another existing Prestige Class that can work virtually unmodified (aside from the name) is the Radiant Servant of Pelor (Complete Divine). Given the description of the immortal Ixion being the 'Lord of Light,' it would seem an easy fit to redo this prestige class as Radiant Servant of Ixion.

There is also the Ollam, from Complete Adventurer. These are essentially priests who are focused on safeguarding and diseminating dwarven history. This seems like a natural fit for a priestly order in Rockhome. We might need a different name for the class, but beyond that it works as is.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Giorgio wrote:Roger,

What 3E reference materials are you using while working on your PRCs?
I'm using multiple references. The Shamani PrC, for example, was a combination of the Ethengarii Shaman, the Atruaghin Shami, and the Complete Divine's Spirit Shaman, while the Rake was inspired by DotE's Rake and Complete Adventurer's Swashbuckler.

Note: My books are still in-transit from Korea--I don't yet have ready access to them at the moment.
Id like to know if possible what is your D&D 3.5 library to see what books you have access to and what you don't, then I might be able to contribute PRCs ideas from other materials you might not have, and save you some time of reinventing the wheel.
I have hard-copies of the 3.3 core books, and digital copies nearly all 3.0/3.5 books, plus a handful of 3rd party books.
Many already published PRCs work great if you just change the "fluff" part and leave the "crunch" intact.
As much as I'd like to simply reference already-existing material, we're still bound by OGL terms--which means we can't use non-OGL material... forcing us to recreate some things.
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Fri May 30, 2014 10:06 pm

It may be a long ago question....
Gawain_VIII wrote:As much as I'd like to simply reference already-existing material, we're still bound by OGL terms--which means we can't use non-OGL material... forcing us to recreate some things.
I beleive it's possible to reference non-OGL material, you just cannot reproduce it. In other words, if one wanted to use the Champion of Corellon prestige class, from Races of the Wild to become the Champion of Mealiden class in Mystara, you could safely say something like this in your Guide:
The Champion of Mealiden is a member of an elite warrior corps devoted to protecting elven lands and culture in the name of their patron Immortal. See the Champion of Corellon prestige class, from Races of the Wild ((c) 2005, Wizards of the Coast) for the class mechanics and features.
Then you would want a more full entry in a bibliography list at the end of the Guide.

This should cover any copyright issues.

Return to “Mystara 3E Conversion Project”