[KW Life] Overview

A Complete 3.5E conversion of all things Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

[KW Life] Overview

Post by Gawain_VIII » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:34 pm

This chapter should include common details across the Known World (and to a lesser extent, the rest of the Outer World)...

Some examples might include: Weather, Calendar, short descriptions of human ethnicities w/ details about common cultural dress & appearance, etc.

As always, feel free to contribute.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [KW Life] Overview

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:12 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:This chapter should include common details across the Known World (and to a lesser extent, the rest of the Outer World)...
Sounds like a fairly broad target.
Gawain_VIII wrote:Some examples might include: Weather, Calendar, short descriptions of human ethnicities w/ details about common cultural dress & appearance, etc.
Hmm. Wouldn't you get different types of weather in different types of geographical locations? Maybe someone like Thorf could create a weather map that shows the typical weather patterns across the Known World. (That might be a better than a ton of information about wind blowing eastward across most of the continents.)

As for the Calendar, that is the AC calendar. Does everyone use that? What was around before that? How do people convert one system into another (to do things like read pre-AC books and translate the years into the new system).

For your descriptions of humans, a picture would probably be very very useful. A table with the types of clothes different humans wear, the different languages they speak and the different names they have could be the sort of way to go.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:48 pm

[quote="Big Mac"]As for the Calendar, that is the AC calendar. Does everyone use that? What was around before that? How do people convert one system into another (to do things like read pre-AC books and translate the years into the new system).[/quote]

The AC/BC system is used by the Empire of Thyatis and most other KW countries also use that. The other canon time keeping system that I can think of is the Alphatian system. As to Calendars, that would also include the months, again where the Thyatian system is the default one, but where we have several different versions available for different countries. I guess it would be a question of space, how much details on alternative systems should be included, but I would agree that a sentence or two about that fact might be useful.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:39 am

Havard wrote:The AC/BC system is used by the Empire of Thyatis and most other KW countries also use that. The other canon time keeping system that I can think of is the Alphatian system. As to Calendars, that would also include the months, again where the Thyatian system is the default one, but where we have several different versions available for different countries. I guess it would be a question of space, how much details on alternative systems should be included, but I would agree that a sentence or two about that fact might be useful.
I'd suggest that the MCS used the Thyatian system as its default too, but it might be nice for a GM to be able to throw players an odd numbering system that makes them realise a book comes from an isolationist culture that doesn't follow the herd.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:32 am

Big Mac wrote:I'd suggest that the MCS used the Thyatian system as its default too, but it might be nice for a GM to be able to throw players an odd numbering system that makes them realise a book comes from an isolationist culture that doesn't follow the herd.
Isolationist culture might be too strong. My interpretation is that Thyatis is a nation which many of the other Known World (and Savage Coast) nations look up to and have incorporated many of its structures, similar to how the Roman Empire laid down the foundations to many aspects of Western Countries today. The Alphatian calendar would be a good alternative though.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Known World Life

THE CALENDAR
Throughout the Known world, there are several different calendars used by a variety of scholars. For cholars and tradesmen, however, it is the Thyatian calendar that is thought to be the most accurate and sees the most widespread use. The competing Alphatian calendar is the second most widely used. The two calendars are identical in most respects, save language. The only significant differences between them are the counting of the years and the placement of the first day of the year.
The Thyatians count their years from 0 AC, being the year that the first Emperor of Thyatis was crowned. Events that had occurred before 0 AC are usually retroactively counted backwards with the annotation of Before Crowning (50 BC). Alphatians, in contrast, count their calendars from AY 0, denoting when the Alphatians first arrived on Mystara from Old Alphatia. Years prior to AY 0 are counted as negative numbers (AY -50). Conveniently, AY 1000 coresponds to 0AC, making a conversion between the two calendars quite easy.
In both Thyatian and Alphatian calendars, the Mystaran year of 336 days is divided into twelve months, each being 28 days. The month is further divided into four weeks of seven days. Matera, the visible moon waxes and wanes in a 28 day cycle in conjunction with the weeks and months of the calendar. The new moon is always on the first Lunadain of each month, the full moon follows on the second Lunadain (day 15) of each month. Solstices and equinoxes, likewise, are easily calculated, with the winter solstice being the first day of the Thyatian new year (Nuwmont 1), the vernal equinox on Flaurmont 1, Summer Solstice is Felmont 1, and the autumnal equinox falls on Sviftmont 1.

[Table illustration of the combined Alphatian/Thyatian calendar]

The most significant difference between these two calendars is that the Alphatian year ends on Amphimir 27, with the new year not beginning until Alphamir 1. Amphimir 28 is regarded as falling “between the years”. On this day, within the borders of the Alphatian Empire, mortal magic ceases to function: wards and barriers fall, gates are broken, and spells cannot be cast. Most magic-users within the Empire prefer to say indoors on this horrific day.

Not every nation and culture uses the same calendar. Many diverse peoples each use their own methods of time-keeping.
[Table sampling of a couple different calendars, probably Ierendi and Hin]

CLIMATE AND SEASONS
The known world covers a large area of the planet, and each geographic region often has a drastically different climate from another geographic region. There are a few climatic features which are generally shared across the lands.
Generally speaking, southern coastal lands enjoy short mild winters and endure long humid summers, while the more northerly nations can count on their seasons being more prominent in temperature range and equally spaced from each other. The northeastern seaboard of Brun, as well as the northern quarter of the Isle of Dawn, have long, cold (but not excessively harsh) winters broken by short, mild summers.
There are sevral areas which differ greatly from the normal climatic patterns of their neighbors. Among these are the windswept steppes of Ethengar, the Canolbarth Forest, and the Alasian desert.
Glantri's rugged Silver Sierra mountains provide Glantri's lowlands with significant protections from the cold wintery snows, giving those same valleys with plenty of runoff water each spring, allowing for a plentiful agriculture each year.
Those same protections, however spell doom for the leeward plains. The wind currents coming from over the Silver Sierras blast down upon the steppes of Ethengar day in and day out, giving the nomadic peoples there severely harsh winter storms. The snowfall from those storms cause flooding throughout Ethengar every spring.
The elves of Alfhiem, in contrast, have used magic to regulate their climate, and making their home perfect for their thick, dark, lush Canolbarth Forest. With their magicks in place, the climate is mild year-round, with very little variation from one season to the next. Only the life-cycle of the trees and other plants provide a clue to the time of year. Similarly, every day is pleasantly dry. Each night within the forest enjoys the music of steady rainfall.
If a scholar were to study the Alasian Desert, which houses the Emirates of Ylaruam, he would undoubtedly become confused in very short manner. With the protective boundary of the mountains to both the north and the south, conbined with it's temperate location within the northern hemisphere, the valley should be quite mild with a more-than-adequate rainfall. This is not the case, as can be plainly seen.
The truth of the matter is twofold, and completely unknown to the people living there. Long ago when the Immortals destroyed the Nithia for their corrupted ways, a side effect of that destruction caused the path of the River Nithia to change. Now, instead of travelling through the Alasian valley and ending on the eastern coast in a fertile delta, as it once had done, the river abruptly ends in Rockhome's Makkrest Mountains. In addition, the magic which lay upon the Canolbarth has stolen the annual rain which otherwise would have fallen within the Ylari basin.

TRADE AND TENDER
blah

MAGIC IN MYSTARAN SOCIETY
blah
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:39 am

Gawain_VIII wrote:Not every nation and culture uses the same calendar. Many diverse peoples each use their own methods of time-keeping.
[Table sampling of a couple different calendars, probably Ierendi and Hin]
Just as a suggestion, I'd recommend using the Minrothad calendar (which is probably the most significantly different from the other calendars, which seem to mainly just have different names for the same Thyatian/Alphatian based 7 day, 4 week system).

I can't recall for certain whether there are any other calendars that use a different system or not. I seem to recall that the elvish system used in CM7 is a little bit different, but I may just be mistaking the names they used there for something else.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:37 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:Just as a suggestion, I'd recommend using the Minrothad calendar (which is probably the most significantly different from the other calendars, which seem to mainly just have different names for the same Thyatian/Alphatian based 7 day, 4 week system).

I can't recall for certain whether there are any other calendars that use a different system or not. I seem to recall that the elvish system used in CM7 is a little bit different, but I may just be mistaking the names they used there for something else.
I was thinking of the Minroth calendar anyway. It was late when I finished writing--I wasn't thinking straight. Thanks for the reminder.

Roger

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:36 am

Gawain_VIII wrote:I was thinking of the Minroth calendar anyway. It was late when I finished writing--I wasn't thinking straight. Thanks for the reminder.
No worries, I kind of suspected that might be the one you were talking about. I'm actually kind of surprised/disappointed that Gaz9 was the only one to actually come up with any kind of alternative calendar. I think it would be cool to see some different takes on the Mystaran year.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:17 pm

TRADE AND TENDER
blah
How relevant is trade in the known world?

How advance is the technology of trade; is it barter, letters of credit, backed by banks?

What kind of vehicles, animals, monsters, magical beast or magical items are used to conduct trade and commerce?

Who are the mayor trading nations, powers and guilds?

Who are the leaders in trade by sea, by air, by land and by magic?

What are the mayor exports and imports of main trading nations, powers and guilds?

What monetary system is in used by the people of the known world? Is it a global system or a regional system?

How does commerce and trade affect the lives of the people of the known world?
blah
How widespread is the use of magic in the known world?

What is the overall magic level of this place? Is it high, medium, low as compared to the default in the PHB I 3.5 or PF RPG?

Are the rules for magic that same as those in the PHB I 3.5 or PF RPG?

How does magic impact the fields of public health, education, communication, commerce, entertainment, politics, and warfare?

How does each nation, race or culture react to the presence of magic?

Are there any nations, races or cultures that are known for having a high level of magic use (producing top level spellcasters, magic research, magic items…) and those know for the opposite (killing spellcasters, banning the use and study of magic, destruction of magic items)?

Is there a difference in the practice, acceptance, and availability of Arcane magic vs. Divine magic?

Do practitioners of the different types of magic get along, co-exists, are rivals, make war on each other, and is this relationship different between the various nations, races and cultures of the known world?

How do the immortals encourage or not the use of magic in the known world?

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Giorgio wrote:
TRADE AND TENDER
blah

How advance is the technology of trade; is it barter, letters of credit, backed by banks?

What kind of vehicles, animals, monsters, magical beast or magical items are used to conduct trade and commerce?

What are the mayor exports and imports of main trading nations, powers and guilds?

What monetary system is in used by the people of the known world? Is it a global system or a regional system?

How does commerce and trade affect the lives of the people of the known world?
blah
How widespread is the use of magic in the known world?

What is the overall magic level of this place? Is it high, medium, low as compared to the default in the PHB I 3.5 or PF RPG?

Are the rules for magic that same as those in the PHB I 3.5 or PF RPG?

How does magic impact the fields of public health, education, communication, commerce, entertainment, politics, and warfare?

How does each nation, race or culture react to the presence of magic?

Are there any nations, races or cultures that are known for having a high level of magic use (producing top level spellcasters, magic research, magic items…) and those know for the opposite (killing spellcasters, banning the use and study of magic, destruction of magic items)?

Is there a difference in the practice, acceptance, and availability of Arcane magic vs. Divine magic?

Do practitioners of the different types of magic get along, co-exists, are rivals, make war on each other, and is this relationship different between the various nations, races and cultures of the known world?

How do the immortals encourage or not the use of magic in the known world?
Thanks! Your questions might be just the thing I need to flesh this section out. I'm seriously pressed for time this week (only 9 days left in Korea), but I'll see what I can do about creating time for literary pursuits...

Cheers,

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks! Your questions might be just the thing I need to flesh this section out. I'm seriously pressed for time this week (only 9 days left in Korea), but I'll see what I can do about creating time for literary pursuits...
Great! I got nine more days to keep going threw every topic in this forum and asking more questions for you to catch up with! :D

I am coming to this project with the eyes of someone who is NOT familiar with the setting, and hopefully my newbie questions can be of help.

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:50 am

Giorgio wrote:
TRADE AND TENDER
like with many of the magic questions, this would vary too much from region to region to answer simply as part of an overview.
Again, this varies from locale to locale, but I suppose some generalizations can be made in that banks and letters of credit (specifically certified letters of credit or "cloc's") are emerging in Darokin & Minrothad. also some banks in Thyatis & Glantri (Gleenmorloch in Klantyre is noted as having a sort of financial center)
The various Darokinian Houses (Mauntea, Linton, Hallonica, Al Azrad, Franich, Pennydown, Umbarth, etc.), and the Minrothad Guilds (esp. Meditor Guild). Increasing Thyatian and Karameikan trade interests.
sea- Minrothad, with Darokin's Linton House and Thyatian/Karameikan groups also important.
air- nothing is comming to mind. perhaps some small scale Alphatian (private) and Heldannic (government) affairs?
land- Other Darokinian Houses
magic- small scale- Alphatian and some Glantrian buisnesses (ie transport of fresh Boldavian Ice to Glantri City)
There's a few tables/charts from sources, Roger might be planning to use one of them.
One of my favorite subjects. Regional systems only, varies from Barter to coinage. Too diverse to describe in a short intro.
(snip)
Most of these I touched on in the other thread, but one in particular:
This is something I'm always interested in, but again, it varies too widely to adequately cover in an overview document. Just some examples-
Glantri- High Arcane, Divine is persecuted (severely)
Alphatia, Thyatis- High both
Heldannic- Divine (non infidel) encouraged (they are a theocratic state of Vanya worshippers), Arcane leery unless the individual proves them selves.
Northern Reaches- weary of Arcanists until they prove themselves.
Ylaruam- Foreign Arcanists and Divine users 'discouraged', domestic arcanists tolerated, domestic divine users highly supported if of the Eternal Truth faith (Al-Kalimites)
etc.

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Sat May 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:Thanks! Your questions might be just the thing I need to flesh this section out. I'm seriously pressed for time this week (only 9 days left in Korea), but I'll see what I can do about creating time for literary pursuits...

Cheers,
I am going to be taking all those questions and expanding on them in a post in the Mystara main forum titled “Mystara Research Questions”, I hope the responses there can help you with your own work. :)

Return to “Mystara 3E Conversion Project”