[Prestige Class] Darokin Merchant

A Complete 3.5E conversion of all things Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

[Prestige Class] Darokin Merchant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:03 am

Here is a version of the Darokin Merchant that may be of use to the conversion project:

“That cursed Linton! He never checks the entire cargo against the manifest – everyone knows that. But this time, this one time … it’s like he knew, before he got to the caravan, that something was up. I pay my wizards good coin to make sure these sorts of mistakes don’t happen. Maybe it’s true, what they say of Darokin Merchants, that they have some sixth sense.” -- An anonymous Irendi Merchant. [GAZ11, The Republic of Darokin]

In the Republic of Darokin, trading isn’t just a job for most people; it is a way of life. No matter what a person’s profession, every citizen must be skilled in the ‘art of the deal.’ Even adventurers visiting Darokin should hone their negotiating skills.

Most Darokin Merchants are experts in various professions and crafts who have risen to high positions among the merchant houses. Rogues and bards are among the adventuring classes which often pursue this career when their adventuring days are over, although some find a few levels of Darokin Merchant essential if they intend to operate at the highest levels of Republic society. Wizards occasionally choose to turn their arcane skills into a lucrative business, becoming Darokin Merchants of renowned skill.

NPC Darokin Merchants are the most powerful of business leaders in their communities. While they do not utilize blades or bows, they nonetheless frequently wage war with their enemies. Their weapons of choice: the daro or the dinar. Their lack of combat prowess in no way reduces the risk of making one an enemy, nor does it diminish their potential value as an ally.

Hit Die: d4

Requirements
Skills: Appraise 8 ranks, Bluff 4 ranks or Diplomacy 4 ranks, any one Craft, Perform, or Profession 4 ranks
Nation: The character must either hail from the Republic of Darokin or must have worked for a Darokin merchant house for at least two years.

Class Skills
The Darokin Merchant’s class skills are Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Forgery, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (geography), Listen, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot.
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Code: Select all

THE DAROKIN MERCHANT
Class  Base  Fort  Ref   Will                                     Spells per Day
Level  Att   Save  Save  Save  Special                                1  2  3  4

1st    +0    +0    +0    +2    Quick Counting, Resourceful Trader     0  -  -  -
2nd    +1    +0    +0    +3    Appraiser’s Eye, Merchant’s Knowledge  1  -  -  -
3rd    +1    +1    +1    +3    Efficient Travel                       1  0  -  -
4th    +2    +1    +1    +4    Rapid Inventory                        1  1  -  -
5th    +2    +1    +1    +4    Bonus feat                             1  1  0  -
6th    +3    +2    +2    +5                                           1  1  1  -
7th    +3    +2    +2    +5    Smuggler’s Guile                       2  1  1  0
8th    +4    +2    +2    +6    Smoothing the Ride                     2  1  1  1
9th    +4    +3    +3    +6    Bonus feat                             2  2  1  1
10th   +5    +3    +3    +7                                           2  2  2  1
Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Darokin Merchants gain no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spells per day: A Darokin Merchant casts a limited number of arcane spells. To cast a spell, he must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell’s level. Bonus spells are based on Intelligence, and saves against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + the merchant’s Intelligence modifier. When he gets 0 spells of a given level, a he gets only bonus spells. A Darokin Merchant has access to any spell on the list (below) and can freely choose which to prepare.

Resourceful Trader: At 1st level, a Darokin Merchant’s growing list of business contacts and specialized dealers allow him to treat any community as one size larger for purposes of the maximum price item that can be bought or sold.

Quick Counting: Once per day for each class level, a Darokin Merchant can, as a full round action, determine the exact number of coins in a given pile or container. He must either run his hand through the pile or handle the container directly. If the coins are clearly visible, he can also determine what type of coins are present. At sixth level, he can do this as a standard action.

Appraiser’s Eye: At 2nd level a Darokin Merchant is able to more accurately determine the market price of items he examines. He is also more likely to notice a forgery or hidden signs of poor workmanship. He may add his Merchant level to Appraise checks to determine an item’s market price and to Spot checks to notice faked items.

Merchant’s Knowledge: A Merchant’s frequent travel exposes him to a great deal of diverse knowledge and lore. Starting at 2nd level, he can tap into this knowledge just as a bard does. This ability functions as bardic knowledge using the Merchant level instead of bard level. If the Merchant also has levels of bard, his Merchant levels instead stack with his bard level to determine the Knowledge bonus.

Efficient Travel: At 3rd level, a Darokin Merchant’s skills at organizing and running a traveling group streamline the usually time-consuming details. Any caravan or party with which the Merchant is traveling in a leadership or investor role moves at one mile per hour faster than normal.

Rapid Inventory: Once per day for each class level, a Darokin Merchant can, as a full round action, determine the exact contents of a 10 ft cube of merchandise. He must actually be able to see the merchandise to use this ability. At ninth level, he can do this as a standard action.

Bonus feat: At 5th and 9th level, a Darokin Merchant may select a feat from the following list: Alertness, Diligent, Lightning Reflexes, Negotiator, Persuasive, Skill Focus, Trustworthy, any Meta-magic. He must still meet all requirements for whatever feat he selects.

Smuggler’s Guile: At 7th level a Darokin Merchant is able to apply his business acumen to concealing the more shady aspects of his operation or to detecting someone else’s illicit conduct. He may add his Merchant level to Sleight of Hand or Hide checks to conceal an item and to Forgery checks to create faked documents. He may also apply his Merchant level to Spot or Search checks to locate hidden objects and to Forgery checks to detect falsified documents.

Smoothing the Ride: At 8th level, a Merchant’s travel management skills help his team avoid many of the typical delays from difficult terrain and road conditions. Any caravan or party with which the Merchant is traveling in a leadership or investor role treats roads, trails, or lack thereof as one level better than the actual conditions. For example, a caravan of wagons traveling over a road calculates hourly and daily movement as if they were traveling over a highway. For details on overland movement modifiers, see page 164 of the Players Handbook.

Darokin Merchant Spell List
1st level – Alarm, Calm Animals, Detect Magic, Endure Elements, Know Direction, Light, Mending, Message
2nd level – Arcane Lock, Charm Animal, Charm Person, Eagle’s Splendor, Fox’s Cunning, Locate Object, Owl’s Wisdom
3rd level – Darkvision, Find Traps, Glibness, Nondetection, Quench, Shrink Item
4th level – Detect Scrying, Freedom of Movement, Leomund’s Secure Shelter, Sending

Creator's Notes
My first instinct was to try to convert the special spells for of the Darokin Merchant into 3e. After some consideration, I decided to work many of them into class features, instead of a series of additional, unique spells. This allowed for a simplified spell list and progression while maintaining the 'magical' essence of the Darokin Merchant's core capabilities.
Last edited by CmdrCorsiken on Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Re: [Prestige Class] Darokin Merchant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 pm

Not Bad. Compare this to the one I was using in this post.

I actually like your special abilities and spell progression better than mine (although it's not really mine, I stole it)

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:53 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:Not Bad. Compare this to the one I was using in this post.
I actually like your special abilities and spell progression better than mine (although it's not really mine, I stole it)
Roger
Reading that prompted me to post mine in the hopes it would be of some use to your project.

There was one other feature I was considering adding in. It's based on a feat in Races of Destiny, called Resourceful Buyer. The feat allows a character to treat a town or city as one category higher for purposes of determining the max price of any item that he can purchase. My thought was to give the Darokin Merchant an ability called Resourceful Dealer which would allow him to treat a town/city as one size larger for buying and selling. I was thinking about removing one of the Bonus Feat entries and shifting around an ability or two to make room for Resourceful Dealer around 2nd or 3rd level.

Plus, I'm sure there are a few extra spells to add from some of the more recent books. I haven't read through Spell Compendium and other more recent suppliments with the Darokin Merchant in mind. Maybe this weekend....

Thoughts?
Troy
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:12 pm

Resourceful Merchant? Maybe it should be added to the list of available Bonus Feats, so that it's also available to others (like say, the Merchant-Prince) instead of making it a Darokin-only special ability?

Once we get this hammered out, I'll edit the main PrC thread with this info.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:39 am

Gawain_VIII wrote:Resourceful Merchant? Maybe it should be added to the list of available Bonus Feats, so that it's also available to others (like say, the Merchant-Prince) instead of making it a Darokin-only special ability?
Roger
The original feat is only for buying, which is why I was thinking of a class feature to go both ways. (Otherwise, you'd need two feats.) Adding this to the Merchant Prince of Minrothad is a great idea. I do think I would prefer to limit this particular ability (buying and selling as one size larger community) to Mystara's master business people -- namely the Darokin Merchant and the Minrothad Merchant-Prince. This would be part of their reputation as master traders.

I've edited the Class Features, above, to include "Resourceful Trader" as a class feature. (I've also posted my Minrothad Merchant-Prince.)

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Thu May 12, 2011 5:55 am

What are you using for XP on this one?

Is it still the MXP (profit in gold coins) progression as based in GAZ12, or regular XP (killing creatures etc) as a normal Prestige Class?

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Thu May 12, 2011 6:09 am

Because I can...

The Darokin Merchant
[b]Level[/b] | [b]BAB[/b] | [b]Fort[/b] | [b]Ref[/b] | [b]Will[/b] | [b]Special[/b] | [b]1st[/b] | [b]2nd[/b] | [b]3rd[/b] | [b]4th[/b] 1st | +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Quick Counting, Resourceful Trader | 0 | - | - | - 2nd | +1 | +0 | +0 | +3 | Appraiser’s Eye, Merchant’s Knowledge | 1 | - | - | - 3rd | +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | Efficient Travel | 1 | 0 | - | - 4th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Rapid Inventory | 1 | 1 | - | - 5th | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Bonus feat | 1 | 1 | 0 | - 6th | +3 | +2 | +2 | +5 | - | 1 | 1 | 1 | - 7th | +3 | +2 | +2 | +5 | Smuggler’s Guile | 2 | 1 | 1 | 0 8th | +4 | +2 | +2 | +6 | Smoothing the Ride | 2 | 1 | 1 | 1 9th | +4 | +3 | +3 | +6 | Bonus feat | 2 | 2 | 1 | 1 10th | +5 | +3 | +3 | +7 | - | 2 | 2 | 2 | 1
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Fri May 13, 2011 2:41 am

Morfie wrote:What are you using for XP on this one?

Is it still the MXP (profit in gold coins) progression as based in GAZ12, or regular XP (killing creatures etc) as a normal Prestige Class?
To keep in line with 3e standards, this class would use standard XP gain, with a text-flavor suggestion that a DM should be encouraged to offer bonus experience for RP and profit/comerce ventures.

--RG

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Sat May 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Thanks, Ash, for the neat table.
Gawain_VIII wrote:
Morfie wrote:What are you using for XP on this one?

To keep in line with 3e standards, this class would use standard XP gain, with a text-flavor suggestion that a DM should be encouraged to offer bonus experience for RP and profit/comerce ventures.

--RG
Exactly. I would establish an 'Encounter Level' based on the difficulty of the deal being conducted, much like setting an EL or CR for a trap or other multi-facetted encounter. This then provides a guide for experience awards.

Return to “Mystara 3E Conversion Project”