[Prestige Class] Minrothad Merchant-Prince

A Complete 3.5E conversion of all things Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

[Prestige Class] Minrothad Merchant-Prince

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:43 am

Here is a version of the Minrothad Merchant-Prince that may be of use to the conversion project:

NOTE (5/30/2014): An updated version of this class is included in Issue 3 of Threshold, the Mystara fanzine.

“Flamboyant fellows they are, all puffed up with themselves. So they can conjure elementals. So can any Glantri lord worth the name! But Minrothaddans regard them as nobility for their spell casting as much as their money. Hmm…. Perhaps they’re learning something from us after all.” --Vinciento de Belcadiz, Glantri Ambassador to Minrothad. [GAZ9, The Minrothad Guilds]

In the island nation of Minrothad, there is a long tradition of magic used aboard ship to aid in seafaring. Since most elvish captains knew a little sea or weather magic, the combination of merchant skill and spell casting became identified as one in the person of the Merchant-Prince of Minrothad.

Rogues and rangers with experience in professions and crafts associated with seafaring and trade make the best Merchant-Princes. Bards, druids, and wizards can also attain the necessary skills, but are more often employed in support roles to established Merchant-Princes; as are clerics of ocean deities.

NPC Merchant-Princes are often the most elite of experts in fields associated with seafaring and trading, master navigators and master craftsmen. Only a few are admitted to the exclusive academy which trains its students in the arts of sea and air magic.

Hit Die: d6

Requirements
Skills: Appraise 5 ranks, Bluff 5 ranks or Diplomacy 5 ranks, Profession (sailor) 7 ranks
Feats: Leadership
Nation: The character must either hail from one of the islands of Minrothad or must have worked aboard a Minrothad merchant vessel for at least two years.
Special: The character must apply to and be admitted to the prestigious Minrothad Merchant Academy.

Class Skills
The merchant-prince’s class skills are Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Listen, Profession, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Use Rope.
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Code: Select all

THE MINROTHAD MERCHANT-PRINCE
Class  Base  Fort  Ref   Will                                     Spells per Day
Level  Att   Save  Save  Save  Special                            0  1  2  3  4  5  6

1st    +0    +0    +2    +2    Water Focus +1, Resourceful Trader 2  1  0  -  -  -  -
2nd    +1    +0    +3    +3    Air Focus +1, Weather Sense +1     2  2  1  0  -  -  -
3rd    +2    +1    +3    +3    Wind at your back                  3  2  2  0  -  -  -
4th    +3    +1    +4    +4    Weather Sense +2                   3  3  2  1  0  -  -
5th    +3    +1    +4    +4    Bonus feat                         4  3  3  2  0  -  -
6th    +4    +2    +5    +5    Water Focus +2, Weather Sense +3   4  4  3  3  1  0  -
7th    +5    +2    +5    +5    Air Focus +2                       5  4  4  3  2  0  -
8th    +6    +2    +6    +6    Weather Sense +4                   5  5  4  4  2  1  0
9th    +6    +3    +6    +6    Bonus feat                         6  5  5  4  3  2  1
10th   +7    +3    +7    +7    Weather Sense +5                   6  6  5  5  3  2  2
Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Merchant-Princes gain no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spells per day: A merchant-prince prepares and casts arcane spells according to the table. To cast a spell, he must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell’s level. Bonus spells are based on Charisma, and saves against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + the merchant-prince’s Charisma modifier. When he gets 0 spells of a given level, he gets only bonus spells. A merchant-prince has access to any spell on the list (below) and can freely choose which to prepare.

Water Focus: At first level and higher, a Minrothad Prince casts all spells with the ‘water’ descriptor, including those modified to be such, at +1 caster level. At sixth level and higher, he casts them at +2 caster levels. Any save DCs increase by the same amount, +1 at first level, +2 at sixth.

Resourceful Trader: At 1st level, a Minrothad Merchant-Prince’s growing list of business contacts and specialized dealers allow him to treat any community as one size larger for purposes of the maximum price item that can be bought or sold.

Air Focus: At second level and higher, a Minrothad Prince casts all spells with the ‘air’ descriptor, including those modified to be such, at +1 caster level. At seventh level and higher, he casts them at +2 caster levels. Any save DCs increase by the same amount, +1 at second, +2 at seventh.

Weather Sense: At second level a Minrothad Prince’s connection to the forces of air and water provide additional insight into weather patterns. When on the ocean or within eight miles of an ocean or large lake (at least 50 square miles in area), he gains a +1 bonus to all Survival and Knowledge (nature) checks involving weather prediction or phenomena. This bonus increases by +1 each even level attained.

Wind at your back: At third level, any ship commanded by a Minrothad Prince moves at one mile per hour faster than normal.

Bonus feat: At 5th and 9th level, a Minrothad Prince may select a feat from the following list: Acrobatic, Athletic, Charlatan, Diligent, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Negotiator, Persuasive, Sea Legs, Ship’s Mage, Trustworthy, any Meta-magic. He must still meet all requirements for whatever feat he selects.
Last edited by CmdrCorsiken on Fri May 30, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

maddog
Frost Giant

Re: [Prestige Class] Minrothad Merchant-Prince

Post by maddog » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:33 pm

I made a complete class called the Sea Merchant based on the Merchant-Prince that may be useful for the conversion project.

Here it is...

Sea Merchant Class
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d6
Class Skills
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.
Class Features
All of the following are class features of the merchant. Any character may become a merchant but thieves and magic-users are the most common. This is a dual-class and experience points for each class are tracked separately.
Experience: Merchants use the Rogue Experience Point table.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A merchant is proficient with all simple weapons, the short sword, and the rapier. Merchants are proficient with light armor.
Favored Clientèle: At 1st, 5th, 10th, and 20th level the merchant gains a +2 to bluff, diplomacy, gather information, intimidate and sense motive checks when dealing with members of the selected clientèle. When selecting a favored clientèle one must either pick a class of people (Paladins, Rangers, Clerics, etc.) or pick a race (human, dwarf, orc, etc) and it’s social standing (peasants, freeman, or aristocrats). This special ability also gives the merchant the language of his favored clientèle.
Spell Ability: A merchant's spell casting is a integral part of the merchant's training. They cast spells as per the Classic DnD Mage spells chart. Spells marked with “*” are reversible as per classic DnD rules.
Spell List
Merchants may select their spells from the following list. Spells are from the SRD, Gaz9: The Minrothad Guilds and Stormwrack. The SRD and Stormwrack spells are used in place of similar spells from Gaz9. Gaz9 spells are used if there is not an OGL equivalent.
0 - Detect Current, Detect Land
1 - Anchor, Boarding Plank, Buoyancy, Clear Sight, Douse Flame, Darkness, Faerie Fire, Fins To Feet, Light, Locate Sea Life, Oilskin, Precipitation, Quickswim, Read Magic, Resist Cold, Sea Legs*, Tar, Warp Wood, Webfoot.
2 - Careen, Entangle, Jig of the Waves, Nightwatch, Obscuring Mist, Predict Weather, Purify Food and Drink, Pressure Sphere, Produce Fire, Rot, Sink, Spectral Sail, Steed of the Seas, Stormrunner’s Ward, Swim, Tern’s Persistence, Tojanida Sight, Turbidity, Web.
3 - Air Breathing, Call Lightning, Detect Ship, Dispel Fog, Favorable Wind, Fireball, Jaws of the Moray, Lightning Bolt, Protection from Pressure, Scales of the Sealord, Water Breathing, Watery Form.
4 - Ball Lightning, Control Currents, Deflect Ram, Desail, Disguise Ship, Fill the Sails, Protection from Lightning, Siren’s Call, Talk to Sea Creatures, Thalassemia, Transformation of the Deeps, Transmute Water to Ice*.
5 - Blackwater Tentacle, Control Winds, Flowsight, Hovership, Summon Sea Creatures, Summon Weather*.
6 - Airy Water, Blackwater Taint, Calm Water, Calm Wind, Control Weather, Mudslide, Stormwalk, Summon Elemental, Waterspout.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:27 pm

I am considering revising the prestige class (at the top of the thread) to be entered earlier.

In general, nearly all prestige classes in 3E are designed to be entered as a PC's 7th character level. This is particularly true of the plethora of 10-level prestige classes. In this case, it is enterable at 6th level. However, in the Gazetteer, (as well as in maddog's 3E presentation), the class is a full base class, playable as a 1st level character.

Given the fundamental association of this class to the nation, I am thinking about reducing the entry requirements to make it possible to take the class as a PC's 5th or even 4th character level.

Does anyone have an thoughts?
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 pm

I think 5th would be fine. Seems to me that I recall most PrCs in 3.5 to be accessible by their "primary" classes at 5th, not 7th, but it's been a while since I've looked at PrCs much, admittedly.

Regarding PrC requirements, one thing that has always been troublesome with me about some PrCs is figuring out the appropriate requirements. Going off of things like Saves, BAB, etc. makes entry very difficult for some classes, and that can be problematic in certain cases- such as when the PrC is more of a generic sort of class.

I seem to recall this being the case with the Merchant-Prince, which in the original rules was open to everyone regardless of whether they were spellcasters or not (their magic was something they gained after taking the class itself). Making it based on Will saves, or even on certain Skill Ranks makes it more difficult for certain classes to take potentially (since some skills are not class skills for the same classes).

It becomes less problematic in Pathfinder, where cross-class skills don't really impact the ability to take a skill and thus skill progression remains the same, or if you choose skills that are open to all classes (such as Profession (sailor)), etc. Depends on how you're doing it, obviously, but it's something to bear in mind.

Anyway, I'll be happy to provide feedback on the final article. I'll re-take a look at your current offering, too, and see if I have some thoughts.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:45 am

As a follow up to this, I think what I'd recommend is keeping Profession (sailor) at 7 ranks, or possibly 8, and then lowering the requirements for Appraise and Bluff/Diplomacy to something like 4. That way, pretty much everyone can pick up the class at/around the same time (except for Barbarians, which seems fine, and Fighters, who for some reason were never given Profession as a class skill in 3rd edition).

It still means that Bards, Rogues, Aristocrats and Experts will be the ones most suited to the prestige class (since they don't have to use precious skill points for cross-class skills), but the other classes will have an equally likely whack at the class too.

I might also suggest Negotiator rather than Leadership as a required feat, but that depends on how you perceive the role of the Merchant-Prince, and is certainly subject to interpretation.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:35 am

One thing I just thought of (was flipping through Gaz9 a minute ago); it mentions the Merchant-Prince should have attained master rank in a skill relevant to his guild (ie, arrowmaking for Guild Fletcher, etc). Maybe a Craft or second Profession skill of choice could be a requirement?

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Excellent input. Thank you.

I will be working on this at some point in the coming weeks and will, of course, share the results.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:29 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:I might also suggest Negotiator rather than Leadership as a required feat, but that depends on how you perceive the role of the Merchant-Prince, and is certainly subject to interpretation.
If I'm lowering the intended level at which the Merchant Prince can be taken, then I have to change out Leadership. The leadership feat requires a 6th level character to take, so if Leadership remains a requirement, 7th character level is the lowest at which the class can be taken. So Negotiator it is. That fits with the merchant side of the class.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:45 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:One thing I just thought of (was flipping through Gaz9 a minute ago); it mentions the Merchant-Prince should have attained master rank in a skill relevant to his guild (ie, arrowmaking for Guild Fletcher, etc). Maybe a Craft or second Profession skill of choice could be a requirement?
In BECMI scaling, what does 'master rank' in a skill mean? I know in 3E, a level 1 character can have 4 ranks, at level 10, it can be 13 ranks.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:39 am

CmdrCorsiken wrote:If I'm lowering the intended level at which the Merchant Prince can be taken, then I have to change out Leadership. The leadership feat requires a 6th level character to take, so if Leadership remains a requirement, 7th character level is the lowest at which the class can be taken. So Negotiator it is. That fits with the merchant side of the class.
Oh, right! I'd forgotten that Leadership had a level requirement. :shock:
CmdrCorsiken wrote:In BECMI scaling, what does 'master rank' in a skill mean? I know in 3E, a level 1 character can have 4 ranks, at level 10, it can be 13 ranks.
It isn't completely clear, but I think what they are referring to is the sidebar on page 23 of the DM's guide, "Moving Up In The Guilds." According to that chart, a score of 17 in a trade skill is equivalent to Master level in the craft (which, of course, means that some characters could be "masters" as early as 1st level if their relevant ability score was high enough).

Still might serve as a guideline, though.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:42 pm

Havard wrote:Also, NPCDave has converted Merchant-Prince Spells in this thread.
-Havard
I will keep that link handy as I work on this. In general, I intend to first find equivalent spells in a variety of 3.5 sources. In situations where I can't find a satisfactory match, NPCDave's work will definitely be helpful.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:24 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:I seem to recall this being the case with the Merchant-Prince, which in the original rules was open to everyone regardless of whether they were spellcasters or not (their magic was something they gained after taking the class itself).
Those have been my thoughts from the beginning, which is why I avoided any form of casting ability as a requirement. A caster class would more likely want to focus on developing their magic in a more broad scope. A character wanting to be a Merchant Prince is seeking to learn and apply magic in a very focused way, so the M-P has its own casting progression and narrow spell list.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Fri May 30, 2014 5:42 pm

An updated version of this class is included in Issue 3 of Threshold, the Mystara fanzine. (This has also been noted in the initial post.

Return to “Mystara 3E Conversion Project”