Anyone use the Mystic Class?

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Anyone use the Mystic Class?

Post by Havard » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:23 pm

Anyone use it? What are your experiences?

Are there anything you would like to change with it?

Both the RC and Master Set versions are of interest.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: Anyone use the Mystic Class?

Post by Sturm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:38 am

Used it in BECMI, but been so much time I do not remember anymore who played it and which ruleset we used. Probably Master set, as I obtained RC only much later. What's the difference?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:33 pm

I played it once a coons age ago. I don't remember anything about it.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:19 pm

It's not very common, but I did play a Mystic in a run of X4 -- a least as a secondary character. The two versions are very similar. The class is oddly balanced in that it has only 16 levels, which makes it quite powerful at late expert and early companion levels, but then hard to scale up to master levels. At Basic levels it is equally difficult to play, as a melee class with no access to armor.

GP

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:45 pm

I remember playing a mystic once. I recall it had problems at low levels with being a glass cannon.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Helm
Goblin

Post by Helm » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:48 pm

A layer of mine plays a Mystic, a particulary dumb one (INT: 7) and we have alot of fun with Zu-Fin. It's the RC version and he tends to kick ass.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:08 pm

Helm wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:48 pm
A layer of mine plays a Mystic, a particulary dumb one (INT: 7) and we have alot of fun with Zu-Fin. It's the RC version and he tends to kick ass.
Haha, sounds like a lot of fun! :)

I played a low INT Cleric for a while, but the DM hated the character. Back then we rolled for stats so it wasn't my fault he turned out that way, but the DM used his first opportunity to kill him off :( Oh well, we were young. :)

Anyway, one thing that is a concern to me is that the lack of armor/weapons will ultimately make the Mystic a less attractive class, especially at higher levels when equipment with bonuses to AC and DMG is almost required.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Helm
Goblin

Post by Helm » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:46 am

Hmm, well he's very fast and is bound to strike first.

Irondrake
Ogre

Post by Irondrake » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:56 am

I have players who have used both the mystic and mystic-acrobat in my D&D campaign. The first mystic made it to 3rd level, but died from yellow mold spores in the dungeons under the Haunted Keep. The second mystic is a mystic-acrobat, and is still active in the campaign, and recently achieved 4th level.

I use a revamped version of the class, mainly because I felt the damage output of the original version in the RC was so great that it could not be managed at higher levels. The hand-to-hand damage I use is as follows:

Levels 1-3 Damage 1d4
Levels 4-6 Damage 1d6
Levels 7-9 Damage 1d8
Levels 10-12 Damage 1d10
Levels 13-15 Damage 1d12
Level 16 Damage 2d8

I also upped the XP Chart, so a normal mystic needs 2,500 XP to reach 2nd level and a mystic-acrobat needs 3,000 XP to reach 2nd level. I have incorporated Mr. Reaper's martial arts that he created for mystics (found in his D&D Rules Cyclopedia Errata and Companion Document), and it has worked out pretty well.

Overall, the players have been fairly careful playing the class due to its poor armor class to start. The player of the mystic did stay at range with a short bow for the first two levels before finally feeling he could move into melee range at 3rd level, but he failed to really utilized the martial arts abilities of the class. The player of the mystic-acrobat makes strong use of the martial arts, especially the Defensive style, which grants him a Deflect roll, but costs him his chance to attack that same round. He's enjoying the class a lot, and does not find it too fragile to play now that he's achieved 4th level. Once he reaches 5th level, he'll have two attacks per round at 1d6 each, so he's eager to get that unlocked.

Irondrake
Ogre

Post by Irondrake » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 am

(continued)

In regards to your concerns about mystics at higher levels Havard, I don't see that the class will suffer at those levels sans magical weapons or armor (no matter if you use the standard class in the RC or a homebrew version). The mystic's AC becomes very low at higher levels, and most mystics will likely have a bonus to AC from a high DEX. For example, the player of the mystic-acrobat in my campaign has an AC of 4 at 4th level (AC 6 from his level and +2 from DEX). That's not bad, and will only get better as he rises in level. For instance, by 8th level his AC will be 0.

As for weapons, the mystic's hands are treated as magical weapons, so he can harm enchanted creatures, so there should be no real issue there. Also, mystics can use weapons, so it would be reasonable for them to claim and use a magical weapon. If Weapon Mastery is allowed in the campaign, that would also be a boon to the mystic.

Big Ulf
Hobgoblin

Post by Big Ulf » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:06 pm

I've been playing a Mystic in an RC campaign for a couple of years now. I used it as a replacement character for my retired Thief, who had dropped to 7 CON for various reasons and I chose to give him a cushy job and make him an NPC.

So my Mystic started around level 8 to be in the reach of the other characters in the campaign. obviously that's a huge advantage, as the lifespan of any BECMI/RC character (never mind a Mystic) is pretty tenuous from levels 1-3.

But I did think of how I'd manage him from level 1. Everyone says the Mystic is a melee class, well not necessarily. I took Longbow as one of my 2 weapons to start and would have sat back and fired arrows for as long as I could. With a DEX of 13 you get that +1 to hit and a -1AC which would have helped in a few situations. Then you'd have to play smart...sneak around, be a wise idea factory of alternative solutions to fighting (in character anyway), and with a bit of luck and a number of meat shields you could stick around to level 2.

Anyway that's neither here nor there. Combat-wise, we use weapon mastery and by the time level 9 rolled around I had him skilled in Normal Sword (mainly for the AC bonus) and expert in Longbow. By then his attacks and damage weren't bad.

BUT, as a few posters have said, as-is in the RC I think the Mystic gets way too powerful in the mid-range of the class. Too much damage and attacks. I liked the idea of Mystic being good at hand to hand fighting, but not a superhero.

So we decided to simply reduce the amount of attacks to match the "multi-attack" option for Fighters. 2 attacks at Level 12, 3 attacks at Level 24, 4 attacks at Level 36. The Mystic would just get these attacks, not use them in the "if you can hit him with a 1 (or 2?)" rule that the multi-attack option says.
We didn't reduce damage but I'd be ok with the above suggestion of max 2d8.

Thief Skill wise, I never figured out why Mystics should have Find/Remove Traps. So I proposed ditching it in favour of Hear Noise, which makes way more sense. My DM just gave me Hear Noise, but I'd be happy to remove the Trap skill.

There's a few other things but that's how we've done it so far.

Character-wise, with well-rounded stats and decent CHA, the mystic has become the wise diplomat of the group, providing sage advice, translation services and the like in diplomatic situations, and acting as a tank with some good sneaking and ass-kicking in the fighting department.

Irondrake
Ogre

Post by Irondrake » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:50 am

Big Ulf wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Thief Skill wise, I never figured out why Mystics should have Find/Remove Traps. So I proposed ditching it in favour of Hear Noise, which makes way more sense. My DM just gave me Hear Noise, but I'd be happy to remove the Trap skill.
I took dropped the Find/Remove Traps thief skills, as I did not feel they made sense for a mystic. My version of the mystic has Climb Walls, Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, and Hear Noise. Makes more sense to me.

barrataria
Hobgoblin

Post by barrataria » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:49 pm

I'm pretty sure the real/metagame reason for giving those abilities to monks was because lawful thieves were prohibited at some point and paladins were always restricted in who they could associate with. So the craftsman/artificer monk helps fill in for thieves in the trap/lockpick/etc areas.

I never considered either version, and honestly I never compared them closely because they seemed so watered-down from AD&D. One of my players got his monk up to 15th level, and it was amazing how years of playing a fragile character better off hiding in back led to him being a terrible force at high level. Regularly during those high-level adventures when they took inventory after a battle he had taken little/no damage and finished off many enemies by zooming in and slapping them around ;)

Return to “Classic D&D”