Optional Rule: All Classes May Create Magic Items

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Optional Rule: All Classes May Create Magic Items

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:52 pm

What do you think about this alternate rule? Sure, not everyone should be able to forge item of pure magic. But at Name Level, the characters aren't just anyone any more. That is why I am considering allowing characters of any class to create magical items from 9th level an onwards.

Limitation: Fighters, Thieves, Mystics etc will not be able to create items that they are not able to use themselves. Magic-Users and Clerics will still be able to create magical swords etc, but Fighters may not create wands, staves, rods or scrolls.

In order to bestow items with spell-like effects the spells must be known to the item creator. However, I think I will also allow for a fighter to hire a Magic User who knows the spell in order to assist him in using the spell in question.

One negative effect from this is that it nerfs the Forge of Power. I will have to think of a way to change the Forge of Power so that it still becomes a useful item for the Dwarves if I open up to this rule.

Thoughts?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Optional Rule: All Classes May Create Magic Items

Post by RobJN » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:11 pm

I'd let Thieves copy spell scrolls after 11th level. They would not be able to write their own from scratch, and it would cost, say, half again or even double the amount it would a mage.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Irondrake
Ogre

Post by Irondrake » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:44 am

I don't know if I'd allow such a rule, as I think it takes away an aspect of spellcasters that makes them special. If everyone can create magic items, even if they are limited to the items they can make based on their class, it still feels to me as if it encroaches on the magic-user, clerics, and druids territory. But, if I were to use such a rule, I might add a stipulation in that it costs twice as much as it would a spellcaster.

Tom Bulls Eye
Ogre

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:22 am

I always considered the definition of a magic user was the fact that the person could do magic, not that the person was assigned a class, but additionally granted the ability to do magic. ;-)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:47 pm

Irondrake wrote:I don't know if I'd allow such a rule, as I think it takes away an aspect of spellcasters that makes them special. If everyone can create magic items, even if they are limited to the items they can make based on their class, it still feels to me as if it encroaches on the magic-user, clerics, and druids territory. But, if I were to use such a rule, I might add a stipulation in that it costs twice as much as it would a spellcaster.
I think that (stepping on the toes of magic users) would also be my concern.

But if you look at artefacts, some of them seem to have a history where some sort of powerful being has given them power by association.

Perhaps you could do something that works as-if-it-is-a-magic-item, without it actually being "magic item creation".

For example, suppose that a fighter learned how to forge their own sword and used that sword to defeat a number of orcs including a powerful leader. Maybe that sword could gain magic power by association with mighty tasks it has been used to perform. Suppose you had a thief who climbed up walls in a lot of adventures (before they were at name level). Perhaps they could find a way to breed spiders and then knit gloves out of spider-webs, so that they make gloves that allow them to stick to walls.

Perhaps, instead of items being magical in the "created by a wizard' sense, they could be magical in the "created by a legend" sense. Essentially, a named character wouldn't actually "create" anything. They would "unlock" the legendary potential in items around them.

Then you could create a series of items that function as magical items when used by name level characters, but which have no power when used by ordinary people.

And if you go by what the PCs (or NPCs) do in-character, rather than try to create a bespoke list for each class then, instead of a name level PC suddenly starting to make magical stuff they can sell, you simply end up with a name-level PC almost always having access to appropriate magic-like equipment (unless they get robbed).

The wizards get to keep the ability to create magical items and sell them to lower level PCs (or name level PCs who want something they have no history with) but you get to give PCs the ability to create all sorts of cool stuff (that gives them bonuses) so long as it ties in with their backstory.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:02 pm

I like the idea of everyone being able to create magic items but I think it should be extremely difficult for non-spellcasters. In one of my nano novels, I included a spontaneous magic item. Basically an item used in heroic (or evil) action which absorbed some magic from the universe. The character had her father's shield which he used to stop a giant snake from eating a friend. (He stood in the giant snake's mouth holding it open while his party attacked.) The shield would create a magic barrier against snakes after that. Mages in the world had heard stories of that occurring but they didn't believe them.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:34 pm

Re: Stepping on the toes of the magic user ( & Cleric) class(es).

Question 1: Are these classes considered generally less attractive than fighters, thieves etc at higher levels?
Question 2: How often do characters in BECMI actually create magical items?

My impression is that people generally feel that Magic-users in particular are overpowered compared to fighters etc at higher levels, so why would taking something away from them be problematic?

Also, creating magical items still takes time, costs money and requires components so it is still going to be something characters do don't do every day...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Spellcasters trying to create magical weapons & armor need to hire a Weaponsmith or Armorer to make the base item if they themselves lack the General Skill. Fighters & Thieves w/ the proper General Skill could make the base item & then pay to have it enchanted OR why not let them sacrifice LOTS of XP to enchant it. (Want to make a Sword +1/+3 vs. Undead = make the sword & pay 1/2 a levels worth of XP for the initial plus, then 1 full level PER plus afterwards. A 12th level Fighter(w/ 700,000 total XP) making that sword would spend: 60,000 XP for the 1st plus & then then 2 full levels(120,000 XP ea.) for the other 2 pluses, dropping him to 400,000 total XP & making him 10th level. (The XP price being based off what the Fighter needs to reach 13th level.) But, that's just my random thought on the matter, lol

gallowglacht
Hobgoblin

Post by gallowglacht » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:20 pm

*BUMP*

Did you try it out in the end?
I think it's a good idea and was tempted to try it out next time I run a BECM/RC campaign.

I enjoyed crafting my own weapons and armour in Skyrim. I think adding it to D&D would be great.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 pm

I recently tested out my version, on the condition that noone could drop below 9th level and the creation times were doubled. Only one person tried it out losing 3 levels in the attempt, bankrupting himself and lost his sword in the next adventure to a Rust Monster.

Return to “Classic D&D”