Monsters from 3E Epic Level Handbook Compared to BECMI

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Monsters from 3E Epic Level Handbook Compared to BECMI

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Big Mac pointed out to me that the 3E Epic Level Handbook might be useful if looking for monsters to be used in an Immortal or Master Level BECMI campaign. A couple of these monsters already have equivalents in BECMI, so I made a list.

Did other books add more Epic Level monsters?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Monsters from 3E Epic Level Handbook Compared to BECMI

Postby Khedrac » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Various epic versions of the demon/devil/archon/guardinel rules have been produced - Book of Vile Darkness and Book of Exalted Deeds

There are a few low-epic demons (CRs 21 & 25) and devil (CR 22) in the Fiend Folio (though the devil was reprinted weaker in FC2, but with a significant mistake).
(In dropping the power of the Paeliryon they replaced at will meteor swarm with a fireball(probably), calculating the new DC correctly for a third level spell, then printed it as a meteor swarm... Even with the lower save DC it is very overpowered for the new CR.)
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".
Khedrac
Ostego

Re: Monsters from 3E Epic Level Handbook Compared to BECMI

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:01 am

In this thread I compared the phanes from the Epic Level Handbook (a kind of abomination) to the jumpers from BECMI. Phanes don't have any single fixed form ("all are somewhat bestial, many are outright nonhumanoid"), but they have some broadly similar abilities. Both have aging attacks, for example. Jumpers have the power to snatch victims out of time so that they reappear 5 rounds later; if their bodies have moved in the interim, they reappear outside their bodies. Phanes have a time leech effect that freezes its victim in a field of static time in which no time passes for them subjectively, but their bodies may disintegrate to dust if they're kept there too long. They're not really the same monster, but I can see them as broadly similar.

I also compared the genius loci to BECMI's megalith, in that both can be sentient planets.

I compared the primal elementals to BECMI's elemental rulers (from the Master Set).
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Return to Classic D&D