Growth of Plants spell and Druids

Discuss B/X rules, BECMI rules, Rules Cyclopedia, and the crunchy bits from the gazetteers here.
The Book-House: Find Classic D&D (BECMI) products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Big Ulf
Hobgoblin

Growth of Plants spell and Druids

Post by Big Ulf » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Hey, anyone ever wonder (like I do) why Growth of Plants is a MU spell in the RC, and the fact that Druids don't have a version of same on their spell list?

Druids can use the 3rd level spell Growth of Animals (as it's on the Cleric list), which is kinda the same thing - growing living objects.

I'm going to give them the spell at the same level as an MU but for balance's sake I'll want to remove a 4th level spell or add one extra per level for Druids to cast.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Growth of Plants spell and Druids

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:06 am

If I had to make a guess, I'd say it is because Growth of Plants was introduced in the Expert Set, before the publication of Druids (in the Companion Set) and the spell was either overlooked or never added to the Druid's list for some reason. Probably because they would have had to bump some other spells in order to keep the number of spells per level even, or maybe they just thought it was a good way to distinguish magic-users and clerics. I'd say that justifying it as "artificially enhancing" nature would be a reason druids wouldn't use it, but there are other spells that already do that sort of thing so that rationale kind of falls flat.

It is, notably, on the Elf spell list in Gaz5 which includes a lot of druidic spells and removes several more "traditional" magic-user spells, as well as the Atruaghin Shaman spell list, which is a rather druid-like class.

I think you are pretty reasonably justified in adding it, maybe even as a 3rd level spell (which, IIRC, it was in 1E AD&D). The spell lists aren't exactly even any longer once you start adding in other supplements anyway. (For instance, Dragon #177 adds a couple of new Druid spells- Ironwood and Seasons).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Ulf
Hobgoblin

Post by Big Ulf » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:49 pm

That's hilarious, good point and thanks for the research. I have a copy of D177, forgot the new Druid class (particular to the region discussed in the Princess Ark article) was there, along with the Druidic Knight. Also suggests in that article that those Druids automatically get Charm Plant at 10th level - they don't have that in their spell list either, while MUs do. Someone was drunk in the edit room...

I'm pretty old-school so have decided the following: to make it a nice even number to roll (unlike the MU table), I added 2 more spells to each Druid casting level. All PH spells are Druidical from the 1st edition AD&D Player's Handbook.

1st: Entangle (as per level 2 MU spell in the RC), Pass Without Trace (PH p. 55)
2nd: Feign Death (PH p. 56), Trip (PH p. 57)
3rd: Protection from Fire (PH p. 58), Summon Insects (PH p. 58)
4th: Growth of Plants (as per level 4 MU spell in the RC), Hold Plant (PH p. 59)
5th: Repel Insects (PH p. 60), then originally Wall of Fire (PH, p. 61) - although could consider subbing Ironwood (Dragon 177) in for the Wall.
6th: Fire Seeds (PH p. 62), then originally Wall of Thorns (PH, p. 62) - although similar to above, could sub in Seasons (Dragon 177) for this Wall.
7th: Charm Plant (as per level 7 MU spell in the RC), Reincarnate (PH, p. 64). Could use Fire Storm (PH) instead of Reincarnate, but I like the idea of Druids being able to Raise Dead and also Reincarnate from the woodland table seen on PH p. 64.

Anyway that gives them 6 per level and adds in 2 spells that should have been in their list in the RC, IMO...and I think you could argue that Charm Plant should be a level 6 Druid spell, putting Seasons into level 7.
Last edited by Big Ulf on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:10 am

Entangle is also listed in the Rules Compendium p. 46 (as well as Gaz5, and possibly some other sources)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Ulf
Hobgoblin

Post by Big Ulf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Ah, good point - keep missing those things. It's a higher level MU spell, but I think we'll just leave it as level 1 for Druids; by the time they can use it 1st-3rd level spells are almost the same. Fixed.

Return to “Classic D&D”